Active crossover options

diamonddelts

I've just started using a Dayton Audio DSP-408 and am quite pleased with its performance, bi-amping my speakers with an Emotiva Mini-X A100 on the woofers and a 15WPC PP EL-84 tube amp driving the horns; it's a great value. Many others are using Mini-DSP crossovers and I've seen a thread or two about using car audio actives, though I was less than impressed with the Timpano Audio TPT-SP4-BT.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few here have also used the DBX Driverack Venue360. It can handle digital or analog inputs and six outputs. I also have one, but still putting pieces together for my system.

The Ashly is also good, but I don't know which model is the best.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635994-REG/Ashly_A1VA00690_Protea_4_8SP_4.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Islander said:

There's a Yamaha unit that has been used by some folks with success.  I don't remember the model number, though.

Yamaha  DME7 is meant for very large halls  minimum 64 channels , up to 256   , or the DME24 for smaller applications up to 24 channels

This Yamaha has been used by some folks on here, although it is now discontinued. It's a 2 in, 6 out, 96Khz sampling rate. I think the EV Dx38 is also discontinued, and it only has a 48Kz sampling rate. It was used by a lot of folks here when the Underground Jubilees were first getting out from under the covers.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/processors/sp2060/index.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

This Yamaha has been used by some folks on here, although it is now discontinued. It's a 2 in, 6 out, 96Khz sampling rate. I think the EV Dx38 is also discontinued, and it only has a 48Kz sampling rate. It was used by a lot of folks here when the Underground Jubilees were first getting out from under the covers.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/processors/sp2060/index.html

Yes, I was one the guys. They are discontinued, but used ones are sometimes available ($600-700 range). They accept a digital or analog input (AES or coax SPDIF). 8 input filters and 6 output filters (per section). The interface is a bit clumsy however. My unit might be up for sale sometime (PM if serious)

If you are looking to experiment, then there is also the Behringer DCX2496. The have a ton of features but some question their reliability, but they are quite affordable. I have a new in box unit that I'm wiling to let go (PM if serious). 

DSP is definitely the way to go

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Yamaha model is SP2060. I bought a used one from Canada a few years back. The SW that runs it is incredible...made to run LARGE systems in arenas etc....the SP2060 would just one small piece in a system like those.

Did you have difficulty getting the SW installed and recognizing the unit? Or was it just me who was an idiot?

1 minute ago, PrestonTom said:

Did you have difficulty getting the SW installed and recognizing the unit? Or was it just me who was an idiot?

By myself? no way...had to get help from someone here at work with much more networking knowledge. So no you are not an idiot. I have heard some give up and just use the front panel controls...UUUGHHHH.

I'll bet Yamaha gave pros training probably at their facilities.

6 hours ago, OO1 said:

Yamaha  DME7 is meant for very large halls  minimum 64 channels , up to 256   , or the DME24 for smaller applications up to 24 channels

The SP2060 is the model I was thinking of, but it's discontinued, and the current models don't seem quite right for a home application.  Another factor is that it's best to use the settings that Roy arrived at after very detailed testing, and they may not translate accurately to newer processors.  This suggests that the Electro-Voice Dx38, the Yamaha SP2060, or the Xilica would be the best choices for Jubilee-type speakers.

Man, the years can really fly by.  I can hardly believe that I've had the JubScalas for 15 years.  Back in 2008, there seemed to be lots of activity involving the Underground Jubilee, or as it was called, the Jubilee.  Once everyone who wanted a pair of them got them, activity slowly tapered off as the last few tweaks were carried out and shared, so by 2015 there was more listening and enjoying than posting about them.

It is quiet - there is no fan.

As far as noise floor in the electronics, I have not noticed any problem. I keep my volume control after the DSP & right before the amp, so any self noise would be attenuated when I attenuate the signal. When these were in production (about 10-15 years ago) they were a bit over $2,000 new. IOW, they are not junk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OO1 said:

I wonder if it's as quiet as the Xilica   

I think 001 was referring to signal noise not acoustical (fan, transformer) noise. I have never tried it side by side but I am thinking they're comparable if the noise gate, which Xilica calls the Internal System Optimizer (ISO), is turned off in the Xilica. To my knowledge the Yamaha does not have a noise gate.

• 1 month later...