Wood for Klipsch Cornerhorns

Toby001

Hello,

I would like to know what type of wood was used for the Klipsch Cornerhorns in the 1970s or for the Cornerhorn AK2?

Were special boards made of tonewood used, or was it more common blockboard/ plywood or birch birch multiplex?

Thank you for your help and support.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Welcome @Toby001 ...think you will find Baltic Birch plywood.

I think that’s right, but Andy and Jim Hunter have said that it was primarily American spruce ply with Baltic Birch ply for things like motor boards. But I can’t remember what time frames they were talking about.

For sure it would change from time to time, I guess because of availability and pricing?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toby001 said:

Hello everyone, thank you for your information. Do I understand correctly that it doesn't actually matter about the wood?

What exactly are you asking. No what you called tonewood.

Baltic Birch and Spruce ply is what I am understanding from above members.

Thanks @Toby001

Hello everyone,

I'm currently planning a new Hi-Fi project. The basic idea is to modify or optimize a Klipschhorn using old JBL and Altec drivers. For that, I'm currently looking for the optimal bass enclosure.

Here in Germany, there are very high-quality 1:1 replicas of the Klipsch corner horn made of birch/beech multiplex, which can be used for this purpose. Alternatively, I could use an original Klipsch horn. Now I'm wondering if that even makes a difference?

Thank you very much, and best regards!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OO1 said:

there 's a pair  of mint  klipsch Belle speakers in Standort ,  Münster for sale   , Good luck cause such a pair must be extremely rare in Europe 

But they don't reach as low as khorns. Toby001, you probably already know Erik's site. He has the plans in metric. They won't be Klipsch, but then neither are the components you have.

The main deal is they are difficult to build, with (I believe) over 50 some pieces for each cabinet. Zecondly, Klipsch doesn't support DIY projects on this site.You may not need that support, but that's the story.

A good baltic birch would by fine. They tried different woods throughout their history. Stiffer and stable is better.

Link to Erik's site:

https://volvotreter.de/dl-section/plans/

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

you are better off buying an original , mint pair of  klipsch speakers    ,   dont waste your time , the wood box will sound like crap .  

To the OP, not all of us agree with the accuracy of the above statement. Most of us certainly do not agree with the tone and discourtesy of the above statement. 

I'll be generous and re-frame it. Perhaps there is a note of caution and you will need to do some homework ahead of time if you want the project to be a success. 

When executed with a plan and and realistic expectations, then DIY projects can be an educational experience and lead to a real source of pride.

In either case, good luck, 

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

thank you for all this information. I'm into crafting, but I think it will take a lot of time to get an acceptable pair of Khorns! I now my limits : )

Maybe I will find a "shortcut" of a pair old KHorns.

Edited by Toby001
  • Like 1

Use the wood that Klipsch found over 80 years of trial and error testing that works best. The angle cuts of the wood are critical and a nightmare for the novice carpenter. Your carpentry equipment better be aligned within +- .0015" . And that's not easy.

JJK

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Toby001 said:

Did Klipsch use birch wood because it was cheap and lightweight or because it yielded the best acoustic results?

Or does any other stiff wood do the job as well?

You are asking questions that only a couple of people know the answer to, Roy the current Chief acoustic engineer on the Khorn going back a ways, and Jim Hunter, the former VP of Engineering, Company Historian and curator of the Klipsch Museum.

I don’t know that either one of them would be able to discuss the specifics of what you are asking.

Real Baltic Birch plywood isn’t cheaper.

Everything is about the sound at Klipsch., 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 2:45 PM, Toby001 said:

Hello everyone, thank you for your information. Do I understand correctly that it doesn't actually matter about the wood?

Well, it matters that the visible wood is pretty.  It matters that the wood comprising the walls of the horn is stiff, and relatively smooth (vs the wavelength passing).  It matters that the wood used is economical, so we can afford the speakers.  The species and other details don't matter much, at all. 

On 7/17/2023 at 12:05 PM, Toby001 said:

Did Klipsch use birch wood because it was cheap and lightweight or because it yielded the best acoustic results?

Or does any other stiff wood do the job as well?

Yes, and Yes.  Baltic Birch is neither light, nor cheap, over here, but it can be had in a void free "plywood", a layered, glued construct that is surely what you called multiplex.  Other plywoods can be and have been used in Klipschorns and other Klipsch speakers.  My La Scalas are made from plywood with a birch veneer on the top and bottom.  I do not know what is in the other layers.  I have read it was a void-free product made for Klipsch that is similar to home cabinet birch veneered plywood, like what I have in my kitchen (la cucina).

IIRC, Andy said the had purchased some marine plywood because they got a deal on it, but it caused excessive wear on all the tooling and quit using it.

In many ways, we are able today to source what we need in a better way (the last couple of years not a good example.