Everything Sounds Good to Me

stormin

5 hours ago, stormin said:

I am so content with the music reaching my ears. 

It just feels all worth it to reach this level of enjoyment.

Klipsch Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

👍

Same.  I’ve gone through more speakers over the years than I care to admit.  But, to me my current setup sounds the best I’ve ever had.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Same.  I’ve gone through more speakers over the years than I care to admit.  But, to me my current setup sounds the best I’ve ever had.

Klipsch just grabs you and doesn't let go.

• Like 3

• Moderators

To me I think it's how it sounds live, or closer than all other speakers I have had. With the dynamic range and efficiency plus voicing it gives more of that sound as if you were watching a live show in person.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dtel said:

To me I think it's how it sounds live, or closer than all other speakers I have had. With the dynamic range and efficiency plus voicing it gives more of that sound as if you were watching a live show in person.  

Agreed but unlike a big venue with bad sound its more like a personal show.

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 7/15/2023 at 11:09 AM, stormin said:

big venue with bad sound

Seen that before, even with the biggest bands the sound was terrible depending on the venue. Then there were places like the Warehouse or riverboat President in N.O. where the sound was great. The Warehouse was ideal, an old wooden building, all wood and wide open.

allman-brothers-and-crowd-at-the-warehouse.jpg

the-crowd-at-the-warehouse.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, stormin said:

Agreed but unlike a big venue with bad sound its more like a personal show.

Always fun when I walked into a venue back in the day.  The first thing I did was look to see what the band was runnin for sound or what the venue owned. 

I knew I was gonna get grabbed by the nads if the band was runnin Klipsch. Always my dream system.  It wasn't about veneer or Duratex it was about all things worldly that PWK brought to party. 

Today I fire thigs up and I know.  Always fun havin someone walk in and leave shakin their head at what they just heard.  Even better when someone tells me they just bought Klipsch ANYthing. 

They learned sumpin from my lil road trip I took 'em on.  Just sharin the love like PWK did.  :)

• Like 4

• Moderators

Back then I never knew about Klipsch, so I never looked.

The place I talked about, the Warehouse, had the best sound by far. Some big names for such a small place, well small compared to giant arena.

This a website for the place which is long gone, at the bottom of the page is a band list starting  in 1970. I remember many great shows there, and some I barely remember, I wish it was still operating.

http://www.blackstrat.net/

Look at the prices 

70-08-01ps.jpg

70-11-07.jpg

70-04-13t.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There was an all wood Ballroom  on 2 floors  in Montreal   called the Lorelei in the early 1900's  ,  later renamed  , the  Palais d'Or  .

the   Dance floor was the largest  in North America  ,  sound system  in the 70's was   Altec VOTT + Altec 211 / 210  cabinets  , buses used to be chartered from NYC 's Bronx  every weekend  for folks to dance  at the club on Friday and Saturday night   

image.thumb.png.900d427409463c2d128d6a0cfbf2729a.png

• Like 3

I find that with some kinds of music, if I have a friend over and we're in the middle of the room, before we sit down, the sound is around us, as if we're on the middle of the stage, and although the volume may be a bit high, we can talk over it easily, and understand each other without difficulty.  I haven't experienced that with any other speakers.

This effect is more noticeable when the receiver/preamp is set to "9 Channel Stereo", which is really 2 channel stereo, with the sound going to every speaker that's connected, so the Left Main and Surround speakers get the Left channel, the right front and back speakers, JubScala II and La Scala, front and rear, get the Right channel.  The front centre Belle and the rear centre Heresy III get a blend, so in effect they're mono.  

For critical listening, it's not perfect, but if I'm in the mood, it certainly sounds good enough for the moment.  Straight Mode means 2 Channel Stereo, not processed at all, so then all the sound comes from the other side of the room, but it's really clean and clear, because the two main speakers are bi-amped with really good amps.  Years ago, when I connected one of the power amps to a Heresy II, it made that speaker sound really good too.

The surprising and cool thing is that the "music is a presence in the room" feeling happens in Straight Mode as well as 9 Channel, but it's less obvious when sitting in the MLP (Main Listening Position).  When sitting there, the sound may extend from a little in front of the speakers to way behind them, for normal imaging, but I'm not on the stage.  I'm in the audience, looking up at the stage.  The performers are located where the recording engineer placed them, left-to-right and front-to-back, with most studio recordings that were assembled with many overdubs.  With live music, especially acoustic live music, of course the performers will be located where they were on stage during the performance.  I haven't heard a recording where one of the performers comes walking into the audience and you could hear it as well as see it.  When I saw Buddy Guy perform here, he came off the stage, walked up the right-hand aisle all the way into the lobby, across it, and re-entered the room by the left-hand aisle, and walked back up onto the stage, playing all the while.  It was pretty cool.

However, the sound continued to come from the speakers on and above the stage.  It would have been cooler if it was possible for the sound to follow right with him.  The only exception I've seen was at a performance by Winter Harp, a local group that plays late Medieval instruments.  They generally do some concerts around Christmastime, and start the concert by entering up the centre aisle from the back of the room, playing all the while.  The room was a former church, with the usual very high ceiling, but the audience was probably around 400 people, so it was a relatively intimate performance, and the instruments had enough volume to be able to do without sound reinforcement.  I think they may have plugged in once they were onstage, but I can't be sure, since it was about 15 years ago.

I suppose it would be possible for a studio recording be done so that the performer, probably a singer or a guitarist, could walk around and have the sound travel with him/her.  The idea seems good, but it's possible that a good stereo would be required, and the sound would be compromised when played on a mono speaker or car radio, although car stereos are getting really good.

Okay, I'm just mind-wandering now.  Time to stick it back in my head.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...