The almighty cable question

mikega

Ok here we go again. I searched the archives and found some descent feedback but nothing to great, so I'm reaching out to the group on cable recommendations from a Marantz 2270 to a set of Chorus 1s and I should be using different cables to the TT. There are so many cables out there at so many price points, it is just too confusing. Speakers will be a MAX 8' to either side of the receiver. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

• Like 1

Cable from receiver to speakers is speaker cable. From TT to receiver is a line level shielded cable. You betcha they're different. And as you stated they run the gamut from under $10 to "the sky is the limit". I have a difficult time hearing differences in cables YMMV. The opinions you get here will run the gamut as well.

Can I hear the difference between my LaScalas and my Jubilees? Yes. Cables? No.

• Like 1

never asked a forum about " what´s the best audio cable " , just saying that to prevent a further thread cable war here . The physics and its sector, the electrical engineering " give the parameters. Lend from a dealer a few cables you need, compare them if you want and make a decision that meets your demands. Don´t spent too much bugs , save them for upgrating your gear , that´s more senseful

Designer cables were designed to solve a problem of interference from other electrical devices ( computers, TV's, Refrigerators etc. are generally consider a source of this type of interference )  if you do not hear any interference from your system then simple Zip cord makes a good connection. By the way simply twisting or braiding multiple wires does a great job, remember that the only difference between Cat 4 and Cat 6 network cables is the number of twist per foot.

Today Style has become a major part of connecting cables, and you always pay more to look good

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

never asked a forum about " what´s the best audio cable " , just saying that to prevent a further thread cable war here . The physics and its sector, the electrical engineering " give the parameters. Lend from a dealer a few cables you need, compare them if you want and make a decision that meets your demands. Don´t spent too much bugs , save them for upgrating your gear , that´s more senseful

Agree!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMeader said:

Today Style has become a major part of connecting cables, and you always pay more to look good

I agree with this to a point. I put some speaker wire in wall when I built my house based I what I thought I needed at that time. Well guess what I outgrew what I installed. So when I started using more that would be visible I went with KnuKonceptz KarmaKable because I like the way the silver and smoke colored conductors look. Not because it is better spec wise than any other 12ga cable.

https://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/speaker-wire/karma-ss-speaker-kable/

In my experience, cables matter, some, but their differences are subtle.  One reason is your speaker cables will normally pass very little power, 1/2 watt or less, so losses are miniscule.  This is due to the Chorus' sensitivity.  However, since the cost is low (discounting my sore fingers), I use thick speaker cables, about 11 gauge.  Mine are hand made braided CAT-5E, but low resistance from 10 or 12 ga wire is most important. 

My interconnects are moderately priced, but the preamp to power amp cables for the front 3 are silver-clad copper with tight fitting, heavy phono plugs.  I use those because I could hear a change in sound I liked.  I used those on my turntable, too.  They were about $40/meter 25 years ago.  The other line level cables and digital cables are similar, but unclad copper and 1/2 the price.  The brand is Vampire Wire, but only their connectors are available, now.  The cables are unique because the shield does not carry the signal and is only bonded at the preamp end. 

I recommend you find similar, moderately priced cables because there is some improvement in sound and quality lasts, but beyond a point, improvement costs exponentially more money for another tiny improvement. 

products-808.jpg

• Like 1