RIP Tony Bennett 96 Y.O.

ClaudeJ1

15 hours ago, rmlowz said:

CKLW I remember it well!!! Walking home from school with my AM radio.

Where exactly was this? I grew up in Royal Oak...also remember CKLW of course...how old were you before you tuned in WABX?

• Haha 1

@babadono you're not related to Claude & Neil are ya?  Asking for a friend.  Thought you were from up that way just wasn't positive til now.  Ohio did do ya a solid though when Mark Chatfield joined Bob and the boys.  Got a heads up a couple weeks ago and he's gonna start workin with his old band "The Godz" here in the Columbus area doin some shows.  THAT should prove to be interesting in a good way.  All these old guys steppin back but they're still gonna play birthday parties & smaller gigs if there is enough money involved.  lol  

Now back to our regular programming Tony Bennett.  Sorry @ClaudeJ1!

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

Bob Seger played at my high school dances back in the day

Yup, Neil took a couple of us past the school one day when we were up there about 5-6 years ago.  Seegar Ave now maybe?  Sumpin though.  Bob would slide down here and play Cbus a lot and that's where I met him.  Mark always told me that someday he was gonna play w/him and by golly he did.  We STILL laff about that when we bump.  He ALWAYS reminds me of that too.  lolol  They'll never quit.

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Where exactly was this? I grew up in Royal Oak...also remember CKLW of course...how old were you before you tuned in WABX?

I grew up in Warren till 8th Grade my dad always had it on while driving around town also. After AM Got into Rock with WRIF FM. Moved out in the country 80-acre hobby farm near Port Huron MI. Had to get a FM amp-booster to listen then LOL

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:07 PM, henry4841 said:

Being 74 he was somewhat before my time but since getting old and listening to some of his music the last few years one has to admit the guy could really sing. His recordings with Lady Gaga are some of my favorites and I am not a big fan of Gaga. Her music is just not my taste but like Tony Gaga has a great trained voice. 

RIP

Lady Gaga was a very good jazz singer going no where when she was advised to switch to contemporary rock. I'm thinking that was some of what got them together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babadono said:

Not my school...

at least I don't think Neil went to Royal Oak Kimball..

Neil has left the building?

It was a 3 maybe 4 story yellow brick high school on a corner.  It was a little ways from his house I think.  He had me so lost I just kicked back.  The street in front of the school was named after some rocker.  I wasn't taking too many notes just enjoying the ride.  Thinking it was after my Danley back massage at @ClaudeJ1's place.  Felt like I was the sound test crash dummy again after that.

2 hours ago, rmlowz said:

Had to get a FM amp-booster to listen then LOL

Been there done that and got busted by my dad for messing up the TV somehow.  roflmao  Reception here in Duckburg STILL sucks!  :)

• Like 1

Knew about this last week when I saw the news. Somehow just missed seeing the thread on it here. Tony Bennett wow, one of the best ever and one of the smoothest male singers ever. Also. I mean who could you compare him to that had that velvety voice that was still masculine? I was talking earlier and the only other I could think of in that respect would be Nat King Cole. Both are in the big choir now!

• Like 1

We're all starting to sound like a gaggle of old geezers.  Remember when ya  heard "old" ppl talkin about how great Guy Lombardo and Libarace were and scoffed?  Sounds like we're all in the on deck circle waitin our turn to bat.  lol   "All in all, you're just another brick in the wall."

• Like 1

@JohnJ Yea, remember to give it a couple minutes before you walk over and sit where I was sitting.  The micro chip with the good songs on it is in the bananna peel stuffed between the slats on the bench just like always.   :)

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

No

Don't make me find an emoji for that one tough guy!   😂

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

All right kiddo, quiet over there

Don't feed him John.  You KNOW how he is...    😂  💪like bull.  He's also a master at thread crapping.  😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, babadono said:
16 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Remember when ya  heard "old" ppl talkin about how great Guy Lombardo and Libarace were and scoffed? 

No

So you liked Guy Lombardo and Liberace when you were young?

• Haha 1