The Bourne Identity

erikjohn

I agree, the stairway scene was unbelieveable, but overall I enjoyed the movie very much. Some of the locations were very good. I thought the sound in DTS was excellent. I didn't think the special featuers were much and the alternate ending wasn't that "alternate". I found the movie itself to be very entertaining. I'd watch it again. I'd also like to see the original version of "The Bourne Identity" to see how it compares. I know I saw it years ago, but I can't really remember much about it.

I guess every time they shoot an expensive-to-produce scene, they're going to show it in slo-mo. I kept thinking I was going to see Lee Majors pop up (remember "The 6 Million Dollar Man?" Whenever he was moving real fast, they'd show him slowed down. I always thought that odd...).

fiNi

I would have to say that if I hadn't read the book, I probably would have enjoyed this film more. But knowing how the story was supposed to go...well, the film version just felt entirely lacking. I realize that because of the time difference from when the book was written to the present day they had to change it up, because let's face it, Carlos the Jackal is most likely not well known by the younger generation. But it sent the film off in a totally different, and in my opinion inferior, direction.

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 2/1/2003 6:54:16 AM Cyridel wrote:

I would have to say that if I hadn't read the book, I probably would have enjoyed this film more. But knowing how the story was supposed to go...well, the film version just felt entirely lacking.

----------------

I'm curious as to how the book ended the story.

To me, I bought it 8.gif, it is needlessly ambiguous. They never really tell the story of WHAT he is and HOW he... is. I just don't think people would act the way they did in the movie if it were real life. I enjoyed watching his amazing feats (mini racing, building jumping, kick ***'ing haha) but there were things that just did not flow from scene to scene.

he gets shot from aobut 20 feet by a pistol, bullets stop at the skin

he shoots another of his people from 20 yards away (60 feet) with a shot gun (not as penetrable, lack of straight flight/power) and the guy dies.

things like that, which truly was not the best example maybe. how about bending a guys leg backwards... then he runs off......

I disagree... I thought the movie was great. Falling on the stairs was kind of messed up... but still.

He is shot in the back from approximately 20-feet, but look at the suit they cut off of him in the beginning. It is probably some sort of light armor, and the bullets were 9mm, which I have no respect for. 2.gif I am a .45 person.

Shotgun lethality at 20 yards is pretty consistant for a 12 guage. I am a hunter, so I use them. Assuming it was a 12 guage in the movie, that could be quite possible, especially from a trained agent.

As far as revealing the story line, or lacking to as the case is, I think it adds to the mystery which made the movie so intriguing to me. I enjoy the kind of movie you can sit down once and watch and be surprised by the action, but then wonder why things happen... so you watch again and again and each time you learn something new about the plot. Movies like The Game, Conspiracy Theory, etc. are examples. Amazing movies. 9.gif

I was surprised they changed it so much from the book because the Bourne saga (if you will) is a trilogy. If they would have stuck with the original story they would have had, basically, two more movies ready to go. Now, if they wanted to do a sequel, they would pretty much have to come up with a completely new story line. But perhaps they only wanted a one movie deal. Who knows?

Speaking of movies with high replay value, I have to give a vote for LA Confidential. I know it's not a great action movie, but I seem to pick up something new every time I watch it; same is true with one of my favorite movies of all time, Bladerunner.

Matt