KP-456 with no crossovers....best way to get these going properly?

G87

I recently acquired a set of 3 Klipsch KP-456 speakers with no LF or HF crossovers. (Sold that way for use in theaters with active crossovers/bi-amping....2 K-45-KP 15" woofers and 1 K-1132 on the K506 horn per cab) The LF crossover is very simple and if I understand correctly it only serves to achieve the 650hz crossover point and attenuate the LF to match the HF. So my real question is about the HF crossover - I know I can achieve the simple 12db/octave crossover with active digital or analog means...but does anyone know how simple it would be to EQ the HF digitally or otherwise? If there are huge dips and/or peaks, can DSP take care of those, or are allowable adjustments possibly not enough? (I've never tried DSP) I've emailed Klipsch, ALK, and Crites to see about ordering passive crossovers....but since I'm also interested in digital room correction and crossovers, I wanted to see how feasible this would be for the 456 HF.

Attaching the schematic for the HF for reference.

I've got 2 of them hooked up right now with a noisy old Crown VFX2A analog crossover (18db slope at 650hz) and they're showing MAJOR potential and sound really good with some treble boost, but I imagine they have some untapped potential that proper EQ'ing could bring out.

Want to get them to their highest potential asap!

Thanks

KP-456-HF B-1.pdf

Edited by G87
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, G87 said:

I recently acquired a set of 3 Klipsch KP-456 speakers with no LF or HF crossovers. (Sold that way for use in theaters with active crossovers/bi-amping....2 K-45-KP 15" woofers and 1 K-1132 on the K506 horn per cab)I've got 2 of them hooked up right now with a noisy old Crown VFX2A analog crossover (18db slope at 650hz) and they're showing MAJOR potential and sound really good with some treble boost, but I imagine they have some untapped potential that proper EQ'ing could bring ou

I believe @Dave A is the resident 456 expert haven't seen him here for awhile you might find him on eBay 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, G87 said:

but since I'm also interested in digital room correction and crossovers, I wanted to see how feasible this would be for the 456 HF.

I have had a pair of KP456 with 'refreshed' x-overs for a while and just this week put them back into my main listening room. I would love to go to active networks for the same as you. 

What did you end up using?

• 2 weeks later...

An active DSP and a pair of amps would run that setup with ease.

The Dayton DSP-408 is super cheap and easy to use and offers a lot of features.

The Dayton DSP doesn’t specifically offer room correction but there are ways to calculate some room averages with REW and generate EQ settings.

If you are interested in tweaking crossovers, active or passive, you really need to get a calibrated mic and learn to use REW to take measurements.

Otherwise you are shooting in the dark.

On 1/5/2024 at 7:30 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have had a pair of KP456 with 'refreshed' x-overs for a while and just this week put them back into my main listening room. I would love to go to active networks for the same as you. 

What did you end up using?

20 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

An active DSP and a pair of amps would run that setup with ease.

The Dayton DSP-408 is super cheap and easy to use and offers a lot of features.

The Dayton DSP doesn’t specifically offer room correction but there are ways to calculate some room averages with REW and generate EQ settings.

If you are interested in tweaking crossovers, active or passive, you really need to get a calibrated mic and learn to use REW to take measurements.

Otherwise you are shooting in the dark.

Thanks

I went with a Xilica XP3060 a couple of years ago. I still don't have the amps that I want, but most of the time I don't listen very loud. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...