How much YouTube do you watch?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How much YouTube do you watch?

• None
    • Less than 6 hours a week.
    • Between 6 and 12 hours a week.
    • Over 12 hours weekly.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 05:01 AM

It is kind of interesting because YT and other social media can be useful for cult leaders to convince people to drink Kool Aid.  

There are myriad claims out there, like horse deworming medicine curing cancer, etc.  I haven't checked, but it wouldn't surprise me to find advocates for drinking Mercury.

Should large companies be required to host such people?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It is kind of interesting because YT and other social media can be useful for cult leaders to convince people to drink Kool Aid.  

There are myriad claims out there, like horse deworming medicine curing cancer, etc.  I haven't checked, but it wouldn't surprise me to find advocates for drinking Mercury.

And are cult leaders any different than government officials? Why should the population be limited to only listening to one kind of cult leader? 
"Domino effect"

"WMD"

" Vaccines are safe "

Aren't those as dangerous as any other cultish claims?  

Big companies don't have to host conversations---They choose to do it to make money. once they make that choice they have an obligation to serve the public fairly. If Facebook doesn't want to publish the public thoughts they should close down and go into another field. In spite of their absurd claims to the contrary they have agreed to be a "public square."

Again, if one assumes information is dangerous per se, the word becomes a singular religion.

• Like 2

YT veered off from a public bulletin board

to content based on their management's views and narratives they support.

Alphabet hired an editor from the NYT,

tasked with synchronizing YT with the Editorial positions of the NYT. Sort of a video version of the failing NYT.

Search results took a bizarre turn

Query Misty, probably the most covered song in history

and you get 20+ links to Woody Allen who married his adopted daughter

who can  no longer testify against him ?

Tens of thousands of channels were erased

based on ideological purity.

YT still has a content advantage since they were the first mover

with a 10 year head start

Content providers, have wised up

and post their content to multiple platforms

like BitChute, Rumble, Brighteon and others

distributing the viewership

and ensuring that deplatforming by the Editors of YT

does not silence their point of view.

The answer is I watch as little of YT as possible

if the content is on bitchute, I watch it there.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 10:24 AM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Since 2016 government and social media companies have worked together seemlessly to censor content deemed troublesome to their agenda. Short of a complete legal overhaul of the 1996 Communications Act and establishment of authentic free speech protections focused on citizens in place of political whims, I'm not optimistic for the future benefits of the Internet.

If the Internet turns into just another government bullhorn, like the NYT, WaPo, NPR, and network TV, it's value will drift to zero and all promise will have been lost. In fact, maybe (probably) it has already happened. 

I think there was a psyop waged in which the populace was taught that information was itself "dangerous"--like bombs-- and that they should rely on government to protect them from that danger. Hence, all that ballyhoo about "disinformation" and "misinformation" and "fact checking Authority." 

Dangerous ideas:

Like the concept of free speech

testing claims, facts and sources

testing the logic of an argument

offering opposing points of view ie flat earth vs round earth vs it's all a simulation......

Challenging what our leaders or their controllers tell us to think, yes Orwellian nightmare

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, Zen Traveler said:

There are several great live-cams from Amsterdam but this is the most mesmerizing. 

Lots of great places in ADam

Highly recommend it and the rest of the NL

Reich Museum is world class

Great Indonesian restaurants, and many others

On 9/14/2023 at 1:46 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I guess my position is I saw what basically pre/non-censorship brought us and I'm happier with the alternative...Once you think we've reached balance AI comes along. Oh, well. Watched about 3 hours of YouTube already today. 😎

AI = PROGRAMMABLE DATA BASE TOOL

That will eliminate the need for human censors

and will be linked to Social Credit Scores

and CBDC for automated punishment

fines will be deducted from your account.

Will also be linked to your smart meters

and other smart devices, like your EV

Once AI is rolled out

your soc media and YT preferences

will effect your social credit score.

Every click, comment and minute spent watching wrong think,

tracked and recorded.

• Like 1

It's a big world out there.  Find ways to help people (not necessarily for free), and your social credit score will rise.

I like YouTube.  It has been a boon to the Age of Information.  Censorship is not always good, but it's not always bad. 

For example, there are things I'd like schools to censor when it comes to teaching kids about sex.  

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's a big world out there.  Find ways to help people (not necessarily for free), and your social credit score will rise.

I like YouTube.  It has been a boon to the Age of Information.  Censorship is not always good, but it's not always bad. 

For example, there are things I'd like schools to censor when it comes to teaching kids about sex.  

Literacy rates were higher before public schools

Less mental problems

less single mothers

lower murder rates

the list is endless

• Like 1

Percentage of persons 14 years old and over who were illiterate (unable to read or write in any language), by race and nativity: 1870 to 1979

Year Total White Black and other
Total Native Foreign-born
1870 20.0 11.5 79.9
1880 17.0 9.4 8.7 12.0 70.0
1890 13.3 7.7 6.2 13.1 56.8
1900 10.7 6.2 4.6 12.9 44.5
1910 7.7 5.0 3.0 12.7 30.5
1920 6.0 4.0 2.0 13.1 23.0
1930 4.3 3.0 1.6 10.8 16.4
1940 2.9 2.0 1.1 9.0 11.5
1947 2.7 1.8 11.0
1950 3.2
1952 2.5 1.8 10.2
1959 2.2 1.6 7.5
1969 1.0 0.7 3.6 *
1979 0.6 0.4

Maybe your facts are different?  By 1870 public education was widespread in the US, and it would have been sooner if people had listened to Thomas Jefferson.

21 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I'm in wonderment as to why this thread has not been locked.

JJK

Oh PLEASE don't! There is valuable content I want to respond to and don't think this discussion could be offensive to anyone who is following along--This isn't a topic that can be divided into simple political lines. Heck, that's already been displayed but I have limited time now and will definitely get back! Thanks for the thoughts and everyone participate in the POLL! 

On 9/15/2023 at 1:07 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

There's no standard methodology for determining truths from untruths outside of age-old courtroom evidence procedures, which have limited usefulness in politics. So-called "fact-checking" institutions are nothing more than political action committees pursuing conformance to preferred Establishment political narratives of the day.

Don't disregard the impact of the courts! See below: 

On 9/15/2023 at 8:32 AM, Zen Traveler said:

I don't know but I'm glad to see liable charges being brought (and won) against media sources spreading provable lies, as well as, those who served in government being letigated as well.

...Governments have no interest in determining truths from untruths.

I don't agree. 

Their only interest is propagating their version of truths in order to maintain a national narrative.

I absolutely agree with this when it comes to making important timely decisions in regard to National Interests. I address 9/11 and Covid below.

On 9/17/2023 at 6:31 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

I'm a lot more worried about humans than I am about societies.

Me too, but sometimes you can't separate them in these discussions.

On 9/17/2023 at 6:31 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

The exciting possibilities of YouTube in the early days was that it had no editor, publisher, fact-checker, or censor beyond certain prudish limits on, say, nudity or gore. It was chock full of ALL the logical vectors of information from which the user could review, accept, or reject at his/her own will. It was full of imagination. STOP THE PRESSES! ...

When YT went live in 2005, one of the liveliest arenas was the 3-ring circus around 9/11.

The year 2005 was 4 years after 9/11. Everyone had an interest in going back and discussing "History." It's still interesting to speculate and I wasn't aware of current censorship.

Otoh, Covid-19 hit us stealthily and needed immediate Government response because our Emergency Rooms were projected (and did) get overrun by a contagious virus. No room for all the misinformation being spread on Social Media and elsewhere. Sure, some good things got censored but alot more crap did as well. We were in a Pandimic in the Information Age, with Social Media trying to curb misinformation by learning from mistakes made pre-2017. 

On 9/19/2023 at 8:22 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Interesting conversation.  The 2 points that jump out at me regarding censorship involved (1) trying to shut down claims made that injecting or drinking some kind of bleach (or pool cleanser, or something  - I forget) protected people from Coronavirus, and (2) trying to hush critics of the vaccine because the vaccine program was too important to allow anyone to create skepticism and fear.

Yep. Good point and to defeat a virus shouldn't rely on competing narratives from powerful sources. THAT is why we have Government. 

On 9/19/2023 at 8:22 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

This thread might not last long, but IMO, our comments aren't really all that controversial.  These points are long outdated, and I don't think people really care that much anymore.

Nowadays, I agree about not caring to rehash political issues and I don't wish to with Covid unless ER numbers go way up.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:10 PM, babadono said:

no offense to anyone here but......what exactly is MISINFORMATION? There is correct information, there is incorrect information.

Misinformation usually is regarded as propaganda. Bullshit conclusions based on misalignment/misrepresentation of facts. 

On 9/20/2023 at 7:10 PM, babadono said:

I mean who are the brain police? Are you thinking wrongly? Soon you will be charged with THOUGHT CRIME. What utter NONSENSE..use your intelligence while it is still allowed....

Not sure where this was going. 🤔 Fwiw, there are a few very nice moderators who volunteer their time to monitor our online thoughts, while questioning folks intelligence should be one of those things pondered and not discussed (imo).

On 9/20/2023 at 7:23 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

This! Heck, I started this thread because I get caught up into intriguing wormholes that makes me realize how coercive all this is! For me I kinda think in a good way but I have also see what you referenced and wonder how I could be getting influenced negatively. 

On 9/20/2023 at 7:23 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Nope.