How much YouTube do you watch?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How much YouTube do you watch?

• None
    • Less than 6 hours a week.
    • Between 6 and 12 hours a week.
    • Over 12 hours weekly.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 05:01 AM

59 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

my definitional posts which were a charity for those with such great educational knowledge it rendered them incapable of consulting a dictionary.

That's funny. The controversy at hand wasn't the definition - simple enough - but rather the application. The offense being called out as censorship centered around the WHO, not the WHAT. Anyone on Earth can proclaim themselves a "fact checker," and then, by arbitrary authority (government selection, let's say), declare a particular claim to be "disinformation" and have it removed from the public sphere. This process renders the dictionary definition moot.  And there lies the controversy which is easily uncovered by anyone spending a day pursuing the bones and learning the context of the controversy over "misinformation."

20 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

That's funny. The controversy at hand wasn't the definition - simple enough - but rather the application. The offense being called out as censorship centered around the WHO, not the WHAT. Anyone on Earth can proclaim themselves a "fact checker," and then, by arbitrary authority (government selection, let's say), declare a particular claim to be "disinformation" and have it removed from the public sphere. This process renders the dictionary definition moot.  And there lies the controversy which is easily uncovered by anyone spending a day pursuing the bones and learning the context of the controversy over "misinformation."

I mostly agree, but this forum is probably the wrong place for this type of response.

I would avoid the back and forth that the insults and bombs are designed to provoke to get a thread closed.

• Like 1

What is likely to get this thread, or any thread closed or hidden are the little dog whistles and agenda seeking posts.  Mark, I clearly see your point, but maintain that adhering to the definitions is important, even as we may quibble with how the words are used (by others).  Disputing the application is certainly in the ball park.  It is the bastardization of language that is an enemy to freedom as well as coherent discourse.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

In the business of "educating children," the goal is to get kids to pass government-constructed "standard tests" as profitably as possible.

LMAO.....   Your use of the term "business" was missed guided and spot-on at the same time...  but profitable for who?   Certainly not the taxpayer and most definitely not the teachers. When it comes to just about anything politics or business, you're always good for a laugh.

16 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

LMAO.....   Your use of the term "business" was missed guided and spot-on at the same time...  but profitable for who?   Certainly not the taxpayer and most definitely not the teachers. When it comes to just about anything politics or business, you're always good for a laugh.

One of the largest is "STRIDE" - - NYSE: LRN

See financials here: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/LRN/financials?p=LRN

Looks pretty profitable to me.

On 9/18/2023 at 9:11 AM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Despite its censorship shortcomings, YT is a decent source of health, wellness and medical viewpoints.

Where we will disagree about YouTube censorship being a shortcoming, DW News and PBS Frontline make excellent documentaries and are Govenment subsidized. I watch these and others regularly on YouTube and don't feel the need for a subscription service.

That said, I watched this while doing dishes and while good, we've known this for decades and it is interesting seeing how Europe and Mexico are dealing with the problem we've been exporting. 

• Like 1

If you haven't responded to the POLL it expires at the end of the month!

On 9/10/2023 at 11:08 AM, Zen Traveler said:

We've discussed Facebook algorithms before and I'm curious how much YouTube influences your life? 🤔

On 9/25/2023 at 5:04 PM, Schu said:

How much YouTube do you watch?

6-12 hours a day... every day.

This is definitely me on most days. Some things are awesome in 4K on the big screen and/or experiencing in the Klipsch Home Theater listed in my sig. Otoh, alot of the material I like to carry with me on my tablet that's more educational (and yes, some truecrime crap for distraction) while I'm doing tasks.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, Zen Traveler said:

There are several great live-cams from Amsterdam but this is the most mesmerizing. 

I gotta repost this Live shot from Amsterdam which is GREAT for those who wants to see precision at a crossroad between Pedestrians, Bicycles, Cars, and trams at one small intersection. This is entertaining and realize the 7 hour time difference from central time.

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Where we will disagree about YouTube censorship being a shortcoming, DW News and PBS Frontline make excellent documentaries and are Govenment subsidized. I watch these and others regularly on YouTube and don't feel the need for a subscription service.

That said, I watched this while doing dishes and while good, we've known this for decades and it is interesting seeing how Europe and Mexico are dealing with the problem we've been exporting. 

Right. Well known problem globally. I've been following Dr. Robert Listing for years. He was among the first to declare sugar a toxin---based on metabolic science.

Processed food is deadly, and the long tail of it is clearly visible now in many countries. I was once a processed food junkie. It might not meet the technical definition of addiction, but functionally it is the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

That's the weak point. I once was an avid Frontline viewer, until i noticed that they always pulled their punches when conclusions were unfavorable to government. 

I fat and away prefer independent journalism.

I again will politely disagree and feel they ARE independent journalism. They were critical of government within a year of 9/11, openly seemed to criticize Obama Foreign Policy (all though they gave room for debate in both) and every administration since and after.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

I again will politely disagree and feel they ARE independent journalism. They were critical of government within a year of 9/11, openly seemed to criticize Obama Foreign Policy (all though they gave room for debate in both) and every administration since and after.  

Within all establishment media, there is an acceptable (allowable) range of both ideas to report and critique. It roughly correlates to the "Overton Window." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

The reasons is obvious....having the government as an enemy is bad for profits, or non-profit budgets.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Within all establishment media, there is an acceptable (allowable) range of both ideas to report and critique. It roughly correlates to the "Overton Window." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

I guess I agree and it is the best we can do given society and we have to rely on Human Beings to get things done. From the link: "The Overton window is the range of policies politically acceptable to the mainstream population at a given time."

29 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

The reasons is obvious....having the government as an enemy is bad for profits, or non-profit budgets.

Here is where we disagree. I assure you it's not obvious nor contradicts what I typed.  At the very least I hope we can agree that if we pay attention we do have access to effective information to form our own opinions; Whereas, when there were only terrestrial tv and then cable, information was alot more limited. 

25 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Here is where we disagree. I assure you it's not obvious nor contradicts what I typed.  At the very least I hope we can agree that if we pay attention we do have access to effective information to form our own opinions; Whereas, when there were only terrestrial tv and then cable, information was alot more limited. 

Yes, I agree that the Internet expanded information breadth at first.