My new McLaren Forte IV

telemike

14 hours ago, Fido said:

As good as the Forte IVs are at generating punchy bass they still can’t play below 35 hz. In my mind a properly setup sub that easily digs down below 20 hz adds that bottom octave that takes the Forte IVs to another level. I can’t imagine any main speakers that couldn’t benefit from a well integrated subwoofer. In my room the REL S812 was a great addition to my Fortes and I wouldn’t want to live without it.

I agree the Fortes fall off pretty steeply below 35hz. The music I listen to simply doesn't need deeper bass than that. But what the hz measurements don't tell you is how the bass frequency hits you in the chest from the Fortes. I've had some speakers in my system that reach deeper, but don't have the same impact that the Fortes deliver. I know there's deeper bass but I prefer the sound without it. 

To the OP, I realize I am stalking you on 2 forums, but you simply don't need a sub added. You need to break in your speakers. Where your Fortes are located you will get deep impactful bass once broken in. You have less than 10 hours on them. I promise the sound character is going to change dramatically.  

• Like 1

Much of the music I listen to doesn't need speakers to go down to 20 Hz but I listen to Lady Gaga, Rhianon, Arianna Grande, David Gueitta and many other genres like EDM. The deep bass the REL Subwoofer supplies below the bass the Fortes can't possibly deliver make the sound very life and extremely dynamic. Yes the Forte IVs have very punchy bass but they dont have the deep bass that many genres of music thrive with.

I am always baffled with people that enjoy music and great sound systems and yet so many here bad mouth Subwoofers.

On 9/13/2023 at 6:06 AM, telemike said:

Picked these up from https://paducahhometheater.com/ at a great discount.  About $3500 to my door.   So far, the sound has impressed me. I do like the metal grill as that makes them cat proof.

PXL-20230912-162430539.jpg

Congrats on the new fortes! Great price and I really like the way these look in your pictures the lighter colored front with the metal grills is pretty slick. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fido said:

Much of the music I listen to doesn't need speakers to go down to 20 Hz but I listen to Lady Gaga, Rhianon, Arianna Grande, David Gueitta and many other genres like EDM. The deep bass the REL Subwoofer supplies below the bass the Fortes can't possibly deliver make the sound very life and extremely dynamic. Yes the Forte IVs have very punchy bass but they dont have the deep bass that many genres of music thrive with.

I am always baffled with people that enjoy music and great sound systems and yet so many here bad mouth Subwoofers.

I am firmly in the "pro-subwoofer camp". That said, I was shocked at the amount and quality of the bass my LS II have with no sub. Sure, they are MIA after 50 hz. But for most classic rock and metal, you'd never miss it.  And that horn loaded bass is oh so good. I do have a pair of subs and they are always on. That's because the quality of the bass never changes with/without. I couldn't say that before adding the DSpeaker 8033 processor. I never could get it just right on my own, but that little box changed everything.

I have heard Forte IIIs (haven't heard the IVs) in a small room playing rock, jazz, metal and I never thought to myself "these need more extension". But depending on the genre of music, that could be the case. If you can get the transition between main speakers and subwoofers right, they will always bring something to the party. The problem is, a lot of people think they have , but sadly, no.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:39 AM, John Chi-town said:

Not that it really matters, because one would have to do something really stupid to have to exercise, but did you also get the 10-year warranty with the discounted pricing?

yes they yanked pricing rules on these to get rid of them so we can do whatever we want.  McLaren licensing deal is expiring, had to do something.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A very nice pic, telemike. 

It is a pity that Klipsch is no longer a sponsor of Mclaren. You used to see the Klipsch logo on the headphones of the Mclaren team. Today they are one of the top three F1 teams, so Klipsch advertising would be still very efficient.

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

why is it a pity , McLaren have not won a race since 2021  , I even wonder if they can  win 1 F1 race in the next 2 years  . 

Second and third place three days ago in Japan is not nothing. Especially since McLaren has two top talented young drivers and the success curve is pointing upwards. The headphones of the technicians in the command post "without" Klipsch logo were frequently and long in the picture.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 10:37 AM, Fido said:

I purchased my Forte IVs from https://paducahhometheater.com/ and saved over $2,000 off list. Speakers arrived within a couple of days in perfect condition reflecting great customer service. I also purchased lambswool grills to complete the look I desired. If I was in the market for any heritage speaker I would look no farther than https://paducahhometheater.com/. The deal you got on those mclaren fortes is incredible. 👏 

So you got them for $3,000 ?   We’re they “B” stock ?   What finish ?

11 hours ago, Chaplir said:

So you got them for $3,000 ?   We’re they “B” stock ?   What finish ?

I got them for $3200 delivered no tax - They are A stock, Cherry Finish! I love the Forte IVs and the sound signature they present. 

I do a lot of low level listening early morning and these speakers are very dynamic sounding even down to 30 dbs at my listening position. Of course they rock like crazy as the volume increases.

Edited by Fido