A dirty topic.

Cal Blacksmith

What is the general wisdom on LP cleaning?

I recently purchased some used records from mostly the 60s to early 80s. The seller did a fantastic job of cleaning them to the point that they are cleaner than many brand new records I have bought. 

I contacted the seller and he uses a spin clean (which I have also owned and used) but he used a Nitty-gritty to vacuum them dry. 

My question is about the vacuum systems.  The least expensive Nitty-gritty is ball park $650 new.

There are several other systems out there such as the ProJect etc. which is comfortably less. 

If using the cleaner mostly for drying the records, is there much difference between the units or is the  Nitty-gritty kind of the king of cleaners?

I am at the point of just spending the money regardless of how much to get a quality cleaning as I know first hand with the recent purchase of LPs it is possible.  

I just don't want to invest in one direction and then find out that a different direction may have been better.  I want to make a "one and done" purchase but ss mentioned in my hi again thread,  I have been out of these discussions for a while. 

I have a few cleaners, a record adapter with motor is about 150 give or take. 

What solutions do you use?

How do you dry the record,  microfiber?

The cleaning machines vacuum them dry.

39 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

ultrasonic cleaning is all the rage these days. I have cleaned all my records with an ultrasonic cleaner and they sound great. You can get in pretty cheap if you do some digging.

I have a few cleaners, a record adapter with motor is about 150 give or take. 

What solutions do you use?

How do you dry the record,  microfiber?

The cleaning machines vacuum them dry.

I use a spin clean and nothing but distilled water. Air dry in a rack. Then fresh new inner sleeves after they've dried. Works a lot better than you might think. The thing that made the biggest difference for me surface wise was getting a microline nude stylus put on my Rega Ania cart. It's the same needle they put on the $5200 Rega Aphelion cart. Somehow it just gets pass a lot of surface noise. Some records that are barely listenable on my other turntable with a Ortofon bronze cart sound fine on this cart.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way is still what is in the linked thread of DizRotus. He's no longer posting and has been out of. The cyostat for a long time. Once cleaned and treated your LPs are good for a long time and pretty much noiseless/static free.

• Like 2