2023 Subfest (A Bonehead Class) Reports, Photos, Etc.

42 minutes ago, babadono said:

Usta was.

And fairly recently, too.

They are about 67 inches width at the front and 45 inches deep. I had official ones, DTEL built singles, so they were easier to handle and fit through doorways. They sounded incredible. I used the LS top section with the MWMs for the bass. Scary clean bass.

18 hours ago, Flevoman said:

MWM... I had to look it up 🙄

Never seen or heard anything about the MWM before. 

Is this an official Klipsch bassbin? 

Very impressive though 

I sold my Khorns to a Canadian guy and picked up 4 MWM Singles with 4 15" woofers, which were K43's. The Klipsch original designs were like the clones in the picture (only came in black) from the commercial side in the late 70's and into the 80's. You could only get them used. They were some of the very best bass horns you could get from Klipsch at the time. Klipsch even did a commercial version of the Khorn called a TSCM with it's own built in corners that were more rugged than Khorns. A few of the more serious Klipsch freaks own those for home use. I'm pretty sure Roy re-designed these big bass horns to be shallower and mate with the 1802 Theater Horn Subwoofers that are now used in many Movie Plex Theaters.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

So it has a midrange driver on the floor? A woofer in the middle?

I just saw a picture and assumed it was some sort of bass horn, never actually knew what it was and wasn't concerned because I knew I would never want one whatever it is.

I have seen a lot of combinations of mids and woofers, but never MWM.

Nope, no midrange driver it's a 2 way. The part you are seeing is the bass bin, two on each side,  the 402 horn is on top. No midrange or tweeter, those two horns cover it all. 

Many have not seen the MWM, I would guess for the most part it was a PRO product and not used at home for most normal people anyway. It take alot of room and I can see why most people would not want them, my wife heard them and she is who decided it's what she wanted. They do sound amazing so I thought it was a great idea.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was just thinking, I also use a big sub with those so it all takes up alot of space. 3 speakers about 6' wide each, it can only happen because the room is 24' wide.

Now there is a new speaker that could replace all 3 including the sub, it's the new Jubilee. Much smaller footprint and great performance, honestly I was surprised how it sounded when I heard it properly set up, and NO sub needed. 

museum (13).JPG

• Like 3

• Moderators

WOW Bruce that's an old picture, I had to look it up and it's from 2009. But it still looks the same with more dust depending on how lazy I have been.

Edit: I don't seem like it but in March it will be 15 years we have those.

Edited by dtel
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

WOW Bruce that's an old picture, I had to look it up and it's from 2009. But it still looks the same with more dust depending on how lazy I have been.

Relatively speaking, those MWM cabinets are a simple build and sound phenomenal. 👌

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtel said:

I was there when Mrs. Dtel and daughter all looked at each other and said "we want those."

• Haha 1

Actually doing some mods... adding t-nuts to the mounting baffle for the 12 inches. Modded the throats slightly to better match the 12 inchers instead of the 15s. Got some better terminals... it's getting there.

Still happily married, but the the androgen blocker has killed motivation for about everything.

Best news is cancer is below detectable levels. How's your year been?

• Like 2

bass 

On the good news front for me, excellent. Some bad new for friends, not to dwell on here.

I would like your impression of the sound of those. Those woofer have higher than normal inductance, but they should do very well for bass in those Snails. Just don't cross them too high and they can take quite a bit of PEQ boost if you need it.

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

bass 

On the good news front for me, excellent. Some bad new for friends, not to dwell on here.

I would like your impression of the sound of those. Those woofer have higher than normal inductance, but they should do very well for bass in those Snails. Just don't cross them too high and they can take quite a bit of PEQ boost if you need it. The joys of horn loading!