2023 Subfest (A Bonehead Class) Reports, Photos, Etc.

@Ponch0069   Here I go outside the box again.  Since it's almost Xmas maybe one lucky Museum member...  That lil boom box w/a pair of sumpin?  Since we don't need a new car maybe sumpin else to drive???

Oprah ain't got nuttin on us!    😂

One can always troll Indy and maybe get a bite?  😂😂  Ok, I'm back in the box.  Carry on.     :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Thanks for this input. Getting two medium-sized subs might get quite intense 😳. I can't complain about the size of my living room by Dutch standards, but two Klipsch La Scalas and two of these subs... Oof. 😄

I think the Medium is not as large as you think.  If I remove the 4 VMPS Larger Sub's, I'll have plenty of room for 2 mediums in my 17' x 18' x 10' den.  I don't think anyone posted a pic of it.  It is about the same size as a La Scala bass horn, though about 6" wider on each side. 

Now, if intense refers to $s, we'll have to wait until this summer.  Wanna buy a pair of Acurus A250s?  😉

This pic is a little dark, but the Medium subwoofer is about the same height as one of my subs and 5" wider. 

LS-VMPS.jpg

• Like 1

I like them quite a lot!  But they are about 20 years old and on borrowed time.   VMPS is long gone and Brian Cheney was notoriously secretive, so no one knows what parts he used. 

I now have a folder on my computer named "Deep Roy"! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

I like them quite a lot!  But they are about 20 years old and on borrowed time.   VMPS is long gone and Brian Cheney was notoriously secretive, so no one knows what parts he used. 

I now have a folder on my computer named "Deep Roy"! 

As are mine.  They were purchased in 1994, but they are still working well.

3 hours ago, OO1 said:

factor in a cabinet   + plate  amp + DSP    4000$  would not be out of line for the  smallest unit  ,  

If you're correct then it will be around the 6000,- Euros here in Europe. 

6k for a sub??... 🙄

Let's wait and see but I hope it will be more affordable 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnA said:

I think the Medium is not as large as you think.  If I remove the 4 VMPS Larger Sub's, I'll have plenty of room for 2 mediums in my 17' x 18' x 10' den.  I don't think anyone posted a pic of it.  It is about the same size as a La Scala bass horn, though about 6" wider on each side. 

Now, if intense refers to $s, we'll have to wait until this summer.  Wanna buy a pair of Acurus A250s?  😉

This pic is a little dark, but the Medium subwoofer is about the same height as one of my subs and 5" wider. 

LS-VMPS.jpg

Exactly, it is if you place a 3rd lascala in your room. 

2x the lascala has already a huge impact from my opinion (although I really like the look of the latest lascala) 

But it's more about the hight what will give me some problems. 

If I will go for the XL version I can't place it between my lascalas. The only place left will be  next to the speakers and I don't think this is the best position. 

• Moderators

Here is a link to the featured Reference Track for the SubFest Bonehead Class.

Roy was in a quandary, he couldn’t find anything music wise that had a true fundamental in the 15 to 16hZ range. What to do?

You call your resident Renaissance Man if you are lucky enough to have one, and KGI/PAC does in fact have one, Matt Sommers.

Link to the two cuts which Matt collectively named “Deep Roy” with a description of the musical keys, and lowest fundamental frequency.

Enjoy on your favorite system/headphones. 

If you are wondering why Matt has such a long silent intro on track 2 . . . well I will let those who were there explain it and what the intro does to the listening room couch.

Enjoy, courtesy of a true Renaissance Man (in the highest Quattro cento sense of that moniker)

https://www.mattsommers.net/deep-roy/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flevoman said:

6k for a sub??... 🙄

I recommend you wait and not speculate on things that are unknown and haven't even been discussed at Klipsch.  They will have to be competitively priced with other top performing subwoofers.  The finishes have been discussed, but are not even final.  The final design of the XL is still incomplete. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Flevoman said:

6k for a sub??... 🙄

He has no idea what he is talking about, someone posted “any guess as to price” and he felt compelled to respond and guessed.

The group at this event are the only ones who have heard all 4 prototypes. Nothing, absolutely nothing, was discussed in terms of price at the class, so your guess is as good, if not better, as his or anyone else’s. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JohnA said:

I recommend you wait and not speculate on things that are unknown and haven't even been discussed at Klipsch.  They will have to be competitively priced with other top performing subwoofers.  The finishes have been discussed, but are not even final.  The final design of the XL is still incomplete. 

To a degree they will have to be competitive with other top performing subs. But what else is out there that is horn-loaded? in veneers that match Heritage main speaker veneers? Ultra low IMD?

There might be some stuff that’s close, but all four are patented so technically nothing is going to be precisely in the ball park in terms of design and performance is there? (I really don’t know, but am guessing based on people who got the 1802 and the limited run of 1502’s, that there isn’t a lot out there in the horn-loaded bass dept, with that footprint. 

However, I missed the class (and no one will let me copy their notes) so I don’t know.

We will know more next Spring/Summer. If you are visiting Hope at that time, pop into your local Klipsch Heritage Dealer and see if they have an update ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Naming contest? I saw somewhere that someone suggested the Deep Roy, so that could be:

Deep Roy 1/I 2/II . . . 4/IV, or KDR-1, KDR-2

Or, hmmmm, names of Organs that go to C(-1), that’s 8 Hz one in Atlantic City, one in Australia for the two largest subs, there are several that go to C(0), someone said that at one time PWK was aware of every organ in Europe that could hit a 16 Hz tone/note. An Octobass can play 16Hz. 

Or singers with a bass voice, the Barry White, IP/clearance problems. 

• Like 1