2023 Subfest (A Bonehead Class) Reports, Photos, Etc.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JohnA said:

Roy used a Tool (!!??!! 😱) track in the demo.  It was complex, crowded and toolish.  All of the subs did a fine job of separating plucks, kicks, thumps and whacks.  The system really stood out when the La Scalas slid in as all the bass was horn loaded.  They do not sound like subwoofers, none of them.  You can almost always tell there is a DR subwoofer in a system by "that sound" what ever it is.  

These guys have balls!   

Clearly analog then, at least if Ray was right.

14 hours ago, MMurg said:

Small:  21”H x 32”W x 18”D, one 8” driver with one port, 27 Hz
Medium:  26”H x 37”W x 21”D, one 8” driver with multiple ports, 24 Hz
Large:  34”H x 42”W x 28”D, one 12” driver with multiple ports, 18 Hz
Extra-large:  47”H x 45”W x 30”D, two 12” drivers with multiple ports, 14-15 Hz

Is the XL is actually a different beast/construction than the LF bin on the Heritage Jubilee? Spec sheet for LFHJ says it's 5 inches wider and goes 18hz, while the new heritage sub is smaller? and goes lower. Noting the heritage sub dimensions are estimated here. Would the lower response be due to different drivers and/or DSP or both? 

• Like 1

The medium is impressive. Like the idea of the small inspired between the photo 7s or the 9s. Can see where Heritage will benefit from them all.

Yes Travis, should be fun naming them. The Beast was used abit back now, at least in my imagination. Happy to see and hear the impressions by attendees of the new line.

Cool...

3 hours ago, haydukej said:

Would the lower response be due to different drivers and/or DSP or both? 

it's also a more powerful  / powered sub with 2x12 inch drivers  ,  a recent photo showed the LX  sub with a BGW VX 880  lurking at the back .Power Output  900 W/ch @ 8Ω, 1500 W/ch @ 4Ω 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, haydukej said:

Is the XL is actually a different beast/construction than the LF bin on the Heritage Jubilee? Spec sheet for LFHJ says it's 5 inches wider and goes 18hz, while the new heritage sub is smaller? and goes lower. Noting the heritage sub dimensions are estimated here. Would the lower response be due to different drivers and/or DSP or both? 

There is probably only one man on the planet @Chief bonehead who can answer that question accurately. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

So what I want to know is: Is Intermodulation Distortion (IMD) a thing?

Years ago, PWK published some papers on his measurements of amplitude and frequency modulation distortion in loudspeakers and described the resulting sound characteristics of each type. He also described the effect of increased levels of audible distortion in loudspeakers as having a masking effect, resulting in a loss of clarity. He called it the “Mud Index” and proposed ranking speakers on a scale based on their Modulation Distortion measurements. Speakers with higher levels of M.D. would score worse in the mud index.

As to the new Klipsch subwoofers, There ain’t no mud to be found, even when loud!!!

• Like 4

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Bill W. said:

Years ago, PWK published some papers on his measurements of amplitude and frequency modulation distortion in loudspeakers and described the resulting sound characteristics of each type. He also described the effect of increased levels of audible distortion in loudspeakers as having a masking effect, resulting in a loss of clarity. He called it the “Mud Index” and proposed ranking speakers on a scale based on their Modulation Distortion measurements. Speakers with higher levels of M.D. would score worse in the mud index.

As to the new Klipsch subwoofers, There ain’t no mud to be found, even when loud!!!

Clearly, someone has a photographic memory or was taking notes. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, haydukej said:

Yes, the XL sub is different from the Jubilee bass bin.  While the XL is slightly narrower than the Jubilee bass bin, it is also taller than the Jubilee bass bin.  The lower response is due to several things.  One is a 14 Hz horn flare rate vs. 18 Hz for the Jubilee.  There are also more ports in the vented enclosure that fires into the horn in the sub (in think there are six if I remember correctly vs. three for the Jubilee).  Finally, the Jubilee bass bin must be able to have high enough response and correct polars to match up with the K-402 horn at the 340 Hz crossover point.  The sub does not have that concern as it will usually cross over to the mains much lower than that.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MMurg said:

Yes, the XL sub is different from the Jubilee bass bin.  While the XL is slightly narrower than the Jubilee bass bin, it is also taller than the Jubilee bass bin.  The lower response is due to several things.  One is a 14 Hz horn flare rate vs. 18 Hz for the Jubilee.  There are also more ports in the vented enclosure that fires into the horn in the sub (in think there are six if I remember correctly vs. three for the Jubilee).  Finally, the Jubilee bass bin must be able to have high enough response and correct polars to match up with the K-402 horn at the 340 Hz crossover point.  The sub does not have that concern as it will usually cross over to the mains much lower than that.

ahhh...physics again:) Thanks @MMurg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

Finally, the Jubilee bass bin must be able to have high enough response and correct polars to match up with the K-402 horn at the 340 Hz crossover point.  The sub does not have that concern as it will usually cross over to the mains much lower than that.

Was there any mention of how high of a response that each sub size can reach? 

Hey folks

One last question if you guys don’t mind, did the plate amps for these subs have XLR inputs by chance, my current subs do so that is the cabling I use.  Not a big deal as I can convert to RCA, but I do prefer XLR for its balanced and noise rejection properties.

Than you in advance

18 hours ago, Flevoman said:

My heart is drawn to the large version for my AL-5, but my setup will probably only allow the medium one.

I can only hope that the medium + AL-5 will be a good match. 

The medium will be a fine match.  It will go down below any common musical note.  You might find it is a little limited in max output compared to La Scala's, but 2 will plenty. 

11 hours ago, haydukej said:

Neither.  The internal design is much different and is built for very low frequencies.  The Heritage Jubilee is designed to get up to 800 to 1000 Hz.  The Jubilee has a larger mouth and longer bass horn. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marks said:

Was there any mention of how high of a response that each sub size can reach? 

We were given response curves and they are not capable of reaching the bottom of a K-402, much to the disappointment of one or two men.  These things were built to be subwoofers, not small Jubilees. 

• Thanks 1