Looking For Nice Pair of La Scalas

PeteLB

I'm looking for a nice pair of La Scalas in good condition, willing to pay a reasonable price. Preferably original, wood grain rather than black.

I'm new to the Klipsch world. Not too long ago I inherited a pair of original Fortes. I was a casual listener, using mostly headphones on the go. I set the Fortes up in a make-shift listening space and I was really taken aback by their sound. I found myself more and more looking for reasons to just sit and listen to music. What surprised me most was the Forte's clarity and how they changed the type of music I listen to. I'm looking for better quality recordings and slower music where I can focus on the instruments, their separation and tonal quality.

I'm looking to repurpose a room and set up a dedicated listening space. I've been doing a lot of reading on the Klipsch Community forums. I've considered upgrading the Fortes but I really can't resist the lure of the La Scalas. From what I can gather they will give me more of what I like about the Fortes. They are also so iconic looking and may be more flexible in my space. 

So, if you have a pair of La Scalas you are considering selling or if know of someone who might be, I'd appreciate if you'd send me  a message. My search area is Ontario and anywhere in the US within a good day's drive from Buffalo. 

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Edited by PeteLB
clarification
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum. Lascalas are great, no doubt. I'm not sure if you've done your homework on this yet, but you will hear some people tell you they have no bass. Of course that's a huge exaggeration. They don't go very low, but the bass they have is top notch. Very good with kick drums and bass guitar. Don't expect much below 50 hz, but on some things you'd never know if you didn't measure.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PeteLB said:

. From what I can gather they will give me more of what I like about the Fortes. 

Lascala  and Forte speakers  are   completely different speakers , the  Forte is a bass reflex cabinet with prominent  bass  , the LS is a folded horn speaker with much less bass   , but  the mids are more articulate due to a larger mids horn   , I would recommend that you  listen to a pair of Lascala  and see if they please  you  , on the other hand , the  Forte IV is a  serious  improvement over a Forte 1 .

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 12:37 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Welcome to the forum. Lascalas are great, no doubt. I'm not sure if you've done your homework on this yet, but you will hear some people tell you they have no bass. Of course that's a huge exaggeration. They don't go very low, but the bass they have is top notch. Very good with kick drums and bass guitar. Don't expect much below 50 hz, but on some things you'd never know if you didn't measure.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

Thanks, for the welcome! I've been doing some researching online. I've listened to one pair of La Scalas but not in ideal conditions. The types of music I listen to are not too bass dependent but I do worry that the bass might be one of those things you don't think you will miss until you don't have it. The posters who say a sub is a necessity for La Scalas make me apprehensive but I'm comforted by posts such as yours who really like quality of the La Scala's bass response. The Fortes have lots of bass - it may be my placement but the bass is not always very tight and focused. I think the La Scalas would be an improvement in that regard. 

I'm looking for used, but I'd like to audition new. So far I haven't found any dealers in the Toronto with La Scalas set up for audition. Maybe I'll start a thread in the appropriate section to ask about that. Thanks again!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OO1 said:

Lascala  and Forte speakers  are   completely different speakers , the  Forte is a bass reflex cabinet with prominent  bass  , the LS is a folded horn speaker with much less bass   , but  the mids are more articulate due to a larger mids horn   , I would recommend that you  listen to a pair of Lascala  and see if they please  you  , on the other hand , the  Forte IV is a  serious  improvement over a Forte 1 .

Thanks, I'm interested in buying used (both for budget and value - can't resist a good deal) but I'm also looking for somewhere to listen to new La Scalas in the Toronto area.

Forte IV's or Cornwall IV's  are  both options but it's hard to resist the urge to go up the line to the La Scalas. Ultimately it may depend on price and availability. But you're right, I need to do some more listening to get a better sense of their sound profiles. Is there one you prefer?

22 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

As Shakeydeal said. They don’t go low, but something about the bass they produce is just perfect. I’ve been through pretty much every speaker Klipsch has made and keep coming back to La Scala’s. 

Thanks, it's comments like this that keep peaking my interest in the La Scalas!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeteLB said:

Thanks, I'm interested in buying used (both for budget and value - can't resist a good deal) but I'm also looking for somewhere to listen to new La Scalas in the Toronto area.

Forte IV's or Cornwall IV's  are  both options but it's hard to resist the urge to go up the line to the La Scalas. Ultimately it may depend on price and availability. But you're right, I need to do some more listening to get a better sense of their sound profiles. Is there one you prefer?

Toronto is definitely a big City  and Ontario  is huge,    since you like the Forte , there are 4  versions  , the Forte speakers have bass , lots of bass ,  , I would go for the Forte III since it was a very big improvement over the Forte II  , it is crucial for you  to audition older LS speakers , because the new AL-5   2 piece cabs   do not sound  anything like older 1 piece LS cabs .  

6 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I use a pair of subs with my LS IIs. But they are completely listenable without them. It sounds like they might work fine for you sans subs.

Hope so, but there's always an option of adding a sub if needed, especially if I end up using it for movies as well as music. Do you find you need a sub listening to music only? What kind of music are you listening to?

4 hours ago, PeteLB said:

Thanks, for the welcome! I've been doing some researching online. I've listened to one pair of La Scalas but not in ideal conditions. The types of music I listen to are not too bass dependent but I do worry that the bass might be one of those things you don't think you will miss until you don't have it. The posters who say a sub is a necessity for La Scalas make me apprehensive but I'm comforted by posts such as yours who really like quality of the La Scala's bass response. The Fortes have lots of bass - it may be my placement but the bass is not always very tight and focused. I think the La Scalas would be an improvement in that regard. 

I'm looking for used, but I'd like to audition new. So far I haven't found any dealers in the Toronto with La Scalas set up for audition. Maybe I'll start a thread in the appropriate section to ask about that. Thanks again!

It’s rarely talked about but quality amplification benefits the LS, any version LS, bass response, greatly. Whether it be tubes or SS a high quality amp with a well designed, stout power supply really makes a difference with any LS. Nothing can make the bass horn produce low bass beyond its design parameters but you can sure make the most of it with the right front end gear. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PeteLB said:

Hope so, but there's always an option of adding a sub if needed, especially if I end up using it for movies as well as music. Do you find you need a sub listening to music only? What kind of music are you listening to?

Mine is a music only system in a room dedicated to that venture. I don’t believe in dual purpose systems, but that’s a conversation for another day.

I listen to just about everything. Once you have a sub dialed in, there’s no need to switch it off for any genre of music. It will do what it needs to do when called for. And nothing when it’s not. Now for movies you might want to have a different setting.

The problem I have found with many systems with subwoofers is the owners think they must hear what they paid all that money for, so you “hear” the sub on every track. Those are the systems that sound better when you just turn the darn thing off.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2023 at 9:10 PM, Ceptorman said:

If you think you will buy older La Scalas, I wouldn't listen to the new ones!

Good point, don’t want to spoil my ears for the older ones! 

Given the price and availability of used  La Scalas, I’m considering used Cornwalls, too. Might be able to find lightly used Cornwall IV’s for about same price as used La Scalas are being advertised for. Used Klipschorns seem more available and reasonably priced too but I’m not sure if they would work with my room set up and I could only pick up one speaker at a time. Not impossible but it could be a lot of miles and a lot of coffee!

On 11/23/2023 at 10:00 PM, richieb said:

It’s rarely talked about but quality amplification benefits the LS, any version LS, bass response, greatly. Whether it be tubes or SS a high quality amp with a well designed, stout power supply really makes a difference with any LS. Nothing can make the bass horn produce low bass beyond its design parameters but you can sure make the most of it with the right front end gear. 

People seem to love tubes with heritage Klipsch speakers. I do have a have a good restored vintage solid state receiver that Im using with myForte I’s now. Tubes  may be a temptation in the future but I have to take this one step at a time! 

• Like 1

I've twice had LaScalas in my house. Super efficient, articulate, great for just about any style of music.

They were for music only, and for me, had plenty of bass. Most of the music I listen to is acoustic and orchestral. They were great for low level to high level listening. Missed them as soon as they were gone.

The first pair left due to finances, the second pair went to my older son. They were replaced with much larger Klisch speakers, not wife approved, but she loves me and let me have them.

Currently using Klipsch Heresy IIs until the next big system is installed.

I could easily go back to La Scalas, though.

• Like 4

On 11/21/2023 at 11:13 PM, PeteLB said:

I'm looking for a nice pair of La Scalas in good condition, willing to pay a reasonable price. Preferably original, wood grain rather than black.

I'm new to the Klipsch world. Not too long ago I inherited a pair of original Fortes. I was a casual listener, using mostly headphones on the go. I set the Fortes up in a make-shift listening space and I was really taken aback by their sound. I found myself more and more looking for reasons to just sit and listen to music. What surprised me most was the Forte's clarity and how they changed the type of music I listen to. I'm looking for better quality recordings and slower music where I can focus on the instruments, their separation and tonal quality.

I'm looking to repurpose a room and set up a dedicated listening space. I've been doing a lot of reading on the Klipsch Community forums. I've considered upgrading the Fortes but I really can't resist the lure of the La Scalas. From what I can gather they will give me more of what I like about the Fortes. They are also so iconic looking and may be more flexible in my space. 

So, if you have a pair of La Scalas you are considering selling or if know of someone who might be, I'd appreciate if you'd send me  a message. My search area is Ontario and anywhere in the US within a good day's drive from Buffalo. 

Cheers and thanks in advance!

How about a nice pair of Belle Klipsch?  In Chicago? 

Or even 3 for a center-fill?

15 hours ago, Samigh1943 said:

Nice to hear about your journey into Klipsch speakers! La Scalas are a solid choice for that immersive listening experience

Thank you!  I've been considering Cornwall IV's as well because they seem to be more available on the used market. I auditioned a pair of Cornwall IV's at a dealer yesterday. Music was streaming through Tidal using a Yamaha R-N1000A network receiver. I was disappointed with the sound - thin mids, exaggerated highs and lacking bass. They were poorly placed, probably not broken in and I'm not sure if the Yamaha was a good fit. What I heard from the Cornwall IV's went against everything I've heard about them and it's making me think I should just be more patient and wait for a nice pair of La Scalas. I've also been reading that the La Scalas can be placed closer to the back wall so the Cornwalls won't save me much (or any) space.