magnet strength Heresy IV

PTB

Hi All

I’ve bought a pair of Heresy IVs in the US to save some money buying them in Australia as my daughter has been there for two years as an athlete.  My plan was for my wife to bring one back as oversize baggage on her return visiting my daughter, and my daughter to bring the other in a few weeks (they’re 25kg each).  Having spoken at length to American Airlines regarding the transport, my Wife flew Oregon to Las Vegas with one speaker, no issues.  Goes to check in onto flight LAS to LAX and they refuse to take the speaker, stating the magnet is too strong!  She ended up racing out of airport to local Fed Ex to ship the speaker back to Oregon and got back just in time for her flight.

I understand the concept, but it seemed a bit OTT to me, especially as she had spoken with the airline prior to travelling.  

Anyway, the bottom line is I need to know the size and strength of the magnet(s) in the Heresy IV to find out if it is safe enough to transport or if I need to enclose it in a metal box, or ship by boat at huge cost!  Can someone with technical know-how please help. I can’t see this data on their site.

Thanks

Paul

Desperate to get these back home and hooked up! (Although far more desperate to get my poor wife home!😁)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PTB said:

Desperate to get these back home and hooked up! (Although far more desperate to get my poor wife home!😁)

here's all the data on the K-28-K  , scroll down to the K-24-K , the K-28 is 100 % identical to a  K-24 with the exception of a 4 Ohms Voice Coil

post-9312-13819600484486.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 6:28 PM, PTB said:

Desperate to get these back home and hooked up!

I sent some 18" subwoofer drivers with huge magnets from the USA to Australia, via UPS, earlier this year. Each box was the size of one Heresy, maybe larger. Judging by the speed of delivery, I would say they travelled by jet. I signed up for a free account at Pirate Ship for a generous discount on shipping cost.

5 hours ago, Tom05 said:

Magnets (powerful magnets)are considered dangerous cargo . E mail , FAA at , hazmatinfo@faa.gov. Good luck 🤓

Heresy driver magnets are not that kind of magnet.  Sounds like an ignorant decision made without data. 

13 hours ago, JohnA said:

Heresy driver magnets are not that kind of magnet. 

The TSA agent on duty at the airport is not likely to be  an expert on the subject of magnetic interference or other  issues concerning magnets on jet liners ,and because of this, general guidelines are used to determine whether the magnetic item in question gets loaded on the plane . The Passenger airline industry is geared towards getting travelers to their destinations safely and on time  , banned items or questionable items are  going to be a tough sell to  a TSA agent.

7 hours ago, Tom05 said:

The TSA agent on duty at the airport is not likely to be  an expert on the subject of magnetic interference or other  issues concerning magnets on jet liners ,and because of this, general guidelines are used to determine whether the magnetic item in question gets loaded on the plane . The Passenger airline industry is geared towards getting travelers to their destinations safely and on time  , banned items or questionable items are  going to be a tough sell to  a TSA agent.

Correct! Strong magnets that can't be shipped on passenger planes can be carried on air freight.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Should have flown Quantas, best airline in the world.

we loaded up two TSCM’s in my twin about 15 years ago, no issues. Same avionics pretty much, but the antenna placement is entirely different. I don’t think there would be much effect on VHF or UHF, and the key item, the magnetic compass isn’t going to be impacted. It’s in the cockpit behind a bulletproof proof door and calibrated every 90 degrees on a compass rose at the factory before certification is so the metal in the cockpit is factored out. 

Remove drivers and take wrap up and pad them and put in a larger check bag?