Troubles with the sound of my new La Scalas

Bhai

Shall I make that A/B comparison differently for you? 😉

After months of listening to the AL-5, I decided to reconnect the CW4. They'll be heading to my brother next Wednesday, so this was the last chance to see if I still perceive the same as when I switched from CW4 to AL-5.
Back then, like you, I had some issues with the LaScala and seriously questioned whether I wanted to keep it or if the CW4 sounded better. Now, after months of adjusting placement, getting used to it, and trying various amplifiers, I've finally got the sound to a point where I'm almost entirely satisfied with the AL-5. I truly enjoy music for hours every day. Nevertheless, I find the AL-5 to be a challenging speaker to make it sound entirely satisfying.

Anyway, the CW4 has been playing all day, allowing me to compare CW4 vs. AL-5 again. The first thing I noticed was a fuller and deeper bass. The bass also sounded warmer than the LaScala. Even though this is often considered a major criticism of the LaScala, I personally prefer its bass. I'd rather sacrifice a bit of depth for a more pleasant sound.
What quickly caught my attention was the midrange. It was noticeably smaller, with voices seeming to have less body. From a song I know well on the LaScala, where the piano is prominent, it sounded noticeably smaller and more in the background on the CW4. The dynamics are there, and it sounds good, but I miss the body and presence of the piano in the song.
Another example is the kick drum. On the LaScala, it has impactful fullness—you hear a real thud. On the CW4, you hear the kick, it sounds dynamic, but lacks body, losing some of its strength and impact. It blends more into the song, while on the LaScala, a kick drum can be really present.
However, the CW4 does sound a bit fresher. Perhaps it's due to the slightly smaller midrange, giving more space to the highs. But with the CW4, the emphasis is more on the low and high frequencies,(Slightly exaggerated, because the CW4 sounds fine and well-balanced.) while with the LaScala, it's more around the midrange (which is my preference).
With the LaScala, I sometimes feel like I can almost look into the singer's throat. I don't get that feeling with the CW4. I think the CW4 sounds more like a modern speaker, and the AL-5 has a bit more of a vintage feel. Although the CW4 sounds really good, I've been missing something all day... I have slightly less connection with the music. The LaScala opens the door just a bit wider. Even though I can understand why some might prefer the CW4 (it might also depend on your music taste), I'm quite happy with the LaScala. Even if it's not perfect, it does something incredibly well—the live experience, the connection, the dynamics.

• Like 5

What year are your LS? You also MUST buy a sub. Just get a cheapy one to start to make sure that does it for you. You must have that bottom octave.

The difference you're also hearing in the midrange is the way its better voiced to the bass horn vs a direct radiator in the Cornwalls. 

You'll get use to it and like it better. The LS are far superior to a Conrwall. But get a sub, or an equalizer where you can boost an additional 10-15 hertz of bass out of the LS. A sub would be best, but make sure it can match the sensitivity and playing levels of the LS, that's why I suggest a cheapy equalizer to start with the proper bass controls to boost levels BELOW 50hz. A 40hz control would be ideal.

@delta88343Certainly, I'm interested in a sub, but it has to be the right one, definitely not a cheap beginner's sub. This summer (likely), Klipsch is releasing a horn sub line, and I'm very interested in that. By the way, I have the AL-5. Over the weekend, I had the chance to listen to my old CW4 again for a few days, but wow, it's delightful to have the LaScala connected again (the CW4 is now with my brother). It's amusing that after a weekend with the CW4, I appreciate the LaScala even more. The difference between these two speakers is actually much larger than I initially thought, in favor of the LaScala.

• Like 1

I'll point out that Klipsch has a series of four Heritage sub models coming out, all are horn loaded. I'm sure they will not be inexpensive, but like other Heritage models, worth the price of admission.

I had first generation La Scalas and never felt the need for subs. I'm sure I would have enjoyed them but 'need' is a pretty strong, like saying  you won't be happy without them.  Not so, I love them and could easily see me getting them again (any version).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delta88343 said:

Check your crossovers. If they are old they could be shot which would produce a raspy sound. Replace the caps with good quality ones, that will only cost a couple bucks.

Hopefully none of the voicecoils are fried but that is a cheap fix as well. 

To whom is your statement actually addressed?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

No . . . .

They are coming out with 4 Heritage Subs, Horn loaded with the patented vented horn design.

Any update (if there is any) about these subs will be apriciate 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

Any update (if there is any) about these subs will be apriciate 

Um, not since the Bonehead Class in October and those threads.

Roy is doing another Bonehead Class in March as part of the Birthday Bash, and the subwoofers and some other Heritage “advancements” are being discussed as his topics. I expect another round of updates, refinements and announcements at that time.

Travis

• Like 1