1965 W-B-WR Khorns

davis419b

No Klipschorns in the used market are priced at "half that" and those look quite good, too.  Around here, they are closer to $4500 and up.  I wouldn't pay that much for a pair but that's asking price, anyway.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 10:52 AM, davis419b said:

These are walnut raw which never need oiling. This is the only pair I have ever seen.

Walnut Raw was a less expensive finish than Walnut Oiled or Walnut Lacquered. It is not actually "rare", it's just a configuration of lumber-core plywood with fancy veneer but without the laborious factory hand-finishing on the veneer. We see vintage Klipsch products in Oregon with this level of finish from time to time, because there was a savvy dealer nearby who recognized this finish offered a very good value in the Klipsch catalog and sometimes ordered products that way to make the best Klipsch offerings more affordable. I can dig out some old catalogs if people are interested, but it was priced above Birch Raw but below Walnut Oiled.

Like many Birch Raw Klipsch products, most of these Walnut Raw speakers have been eventually finished by the owner, which is what this set looks like. If the original owner finished the Walnut with lacquer, polyurethane, etc, the poster is correct that they would never need oiling. But if they finished with oil, then it would need occasional oiling--just like the factory oiled ones. As with Birch Raw, the quality of the owner-applied finish varies quite a bit. I once owned an early 1960's Mahogany Raw single Klipschorn that was finished by the owner Prima-Vera style, a bleached finish similar to a classic limed "TV" Gibson Les Paul from the 1950's. Now that was special!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, triceratops said:

Walnut Raw was a less expensive finish than Walnut Oiled or Walnut Lacquered. It is not actually "rare", it's just a configuration of lumber-core plywood with fancy veneer but without the laborious factory hand-finishing on the veneer. We see vintage Klipsch products in Oregon with this level of finish from time to time, because there was a savvy dealer nearby who recognized this finish offered a very good value in the Klipsch catalog and sometimes ordered products that way to make the best Klipsch offerings more affordable. I can dig out some old catalogs if people are interested, but it was priced above Birch Raw but below Walnut Oiled.

Like many Birch Raw Klipsch products, most of these Walnut Raw speakers have been eventually finished by the owner, which is what this set looks like. If the original owner finished the Walnut with lacquer, polyurethane, etc, the poster is correct that they would never need oiling. But if they finished with oil, then it would need occasional oiling--just like the factory oiled ones. As with Birch Raw, the quality of the owner-applied finish varies quite a bit. I once owned an early 1960's Mahogany Raw single Klipschorn that was finished by the owner Prima-Vera style, a bleached finish similar to a classic limed "TV" Gibson Les Paul from the 1950's. Now that was special!

I agree with your entire statement and I only want to comment and enquire about Sunlight and finishes. 

As some already know, the Sun will darken Cherry and bleach / fade Walnut, regardless of the protective finish = keep them from direct Sunlight. With an oil finish, new oil will reseal to protect the veneer and bring the color back: easy fix. I know that polyurethane finish, though a lot more durable than oil, can still fade due to UV, oxidation, and such, but a new coat can't simply be applied to an old coating. I have never refinished any furniture that had a polyurethane or lacquer finish, but I have studied in woodworker's magazines, Google U, and YouTube University. My question is, has anyone here refinished furniture that had a polyurethane finish? 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, davis419b said:

I assure you these never need oiling !

Hi davis419b,

You've repeated this statement and it is written in the seller's description, but it would be helpful--to those of us that have experience with raw Klipsch veneers--to understand why you say "these never need oiling". I've offered some circumstances (like lacquer or other sealant applied) that could explain your statement in my previous post above.

If the above scenarios don't fit, another possibility might be that the seller is the original owner and the cabinets have never been finished. This is a legitimate choice and I've done it myself with several pairs of Klipsch raw speakers that I previously owned. A description like "the cabinets are still raw and have never been finished" helps us all better understand the condition of the speakers.

Thanks for any additional clarity you can bring to the description of these Klipschorns, and thanks for finding this ad and posting it here.

Best in horns, triceratops