Klipsch Said No

johnr9q

I have a Denon AVR-4800 (not a AVR-4800H which is a newer model) I am trying to hook this up to two Klipsch SPL-15 Subwoofers. I talked to Klipsch and they told me I can't hook two of their subwoofers to my Denon. They said that my Denon has only one RCA outlet for Subwoofer so it it won't work, they said I need at least two RCA outs for it to work. They said I need to get another receiver for it to work. I told them I previously had two Definitive Technology PF-15tl subwoofers hooked using a Y RCA splitter, one end coming out of the receiver and the other two ends going to each subwoofer, and they both worked fine. They said I couldn't do that with Klipsch. What do you say?

I say that whomever you spoke to needs more training.

You can use a y splitter with any receiver that has a single sub output.  In fact, virtually all receivers that have dual sub outputs just have an internal splitter anyway.

• Like 5

Yes, you can use a y-cable for two subs.  However, the person from Klipsch was correct to have some concerns about simply doing a y-cable.  If you don't place the subs equidistant from the listening position then the arrival time of at least one sub will be off since you will only be able to set one distance in the receiver.  It may also cause issues when trying to use Audyssey. You may need to use a device like a MiniDSP if you want to manually set correct distances and levels for the subs independently.  Things then get a bit more complicated to do correctly.

3 hours ago, MMurg said:

You may need to use a device like a MiniDSP if you want to manually set correct distances and levels for the subs independently.  Things then get a bit more complicated to do correctly.

+1 on using a MiniDSP 2x4HD (or similar DSP) when dealing with multiple subs.

The subs can be dialled in using measurements from REW and analysis from MSO (Multi-Sub Optimizer). The resulting configuration (delays, gain, PEQs) can be exported from REW right into the MiniDSP 2x4HD. Both REW and MSO are superb pieces of shareware/freeware.

It can't be done, it's impossible, we'll all be killed:)

Of course you can split a low impedance output (like the sub out from your receiver) through a Y cable into 2 relatively high input impedance inputs. Will you have phase cancellation problems at the low freqs? that you can hear? Maybe. But 2 subs will help out with room modes but you know that, that is why you have 2.