Class D amps

On 3/22/2024 at 12:37 PM, CWelsh said:

A key part of my question that I may not have articulated well is, regardless of the amps rated power, how much of that power is used to drive the speakers to an equal SPL?

There was a thread sometime back where a simple method of measurement was described that identifies just how many watts are actually being used to drive the speakers to the desired level. If an equal two amps with significantly different power ratings can drive the amp to the same level, it makes sense to me that the same wattage is being used to do so. And, if that is the case and you are noticing obvious benefits from the higher power amp, I have to wonder if the benefits are from something other than the actual power at the speaker terminals.

Please understand, I am not questioning or disputing your experience...others in these forums have said similar things. I'm just wondering if there are factors other than just the power capabilities of the amp that make the difference, or if that extra wattage contributes to more than just the power used by the speakers.

P.R A T.    Perhaps ??

I’m running three Aiyima AO7 class D amps on my LaScalas and they sound great.

Although I did replace the op amps with some TI LM4562.

The AO7 usually cost around $70 online.FCE5BD10-BAE4-4D83-90BC-18F168C366E5.jpeg.b05c4c5f25542cef596b3f6cba8e3384.jpeg

I also have the previously mentioned Crown XLS 1002 and it sounds nice with my KP-250s.

70DD441F-CD63-4421-9235-EF8D083FF237.thumb.jpeg.b5dbba040a6bb6b154912097ea17f884.jpeg

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Bacek said:

What is noise level on tweeters and squakers with those?

I’m running a similar config (tri-amped La Scalas with 3 Aiyima A07 amps — one for tweeters, one for squawkers, and one for woofers). Using the stock power supplies I am unable to hear any noise.

I did hear noise when I tried to consolidate the three power supplies with a Meanwell LRS 600-36, so I went back to the stock power supplies.

I’m very happy with how my system sounds. The level of noise is at least as good (perhaps better) than the Yamaha R-N803 I was using before I tri-amped the speakers.

26 minutes ago, Bacek said:

Ok but at listening point or ear close to the driver?

Typically I listen at around 80-85 dB(C). At those levels I don’t hear any noise at my MLP (which is about 4m/13’ from the speaker).

At lower levels, I don’t hear any noise at the mouth of the speaker, even with nothing playing. However, if I turn the gain up high I will hear a hiss.

YMMV, of course.

Quiet amps (those with a very low noise floor) reign supreme with high efficiency horn speakers. Just because an amp is 

horn quiet doesn’t mean it’s a good listen. Unless there is an opportunity to A-B a particular amplifier one might assume a quiet amp,

most any Class D,  is truly a good sounding amp. I owned Hypex nc400 monoblocks and Benchmark ABH2 at the same time. Both

being dead silent. There was no question (through my ears) the Benchmark was a much cleaner sounding amp, I believe the audiophile term is transparent. If you want a quiet, “transparent “ amp think Benchmark. Granted they are several times the price of many of 

the above mentioned brands but hey, we’re talkin’ quiet amps, not amps based on price.

I also have several tube amps that are silent through big ol’ horns. 

As I would need four of them so Benchmark is way out of my budget range. I was looking on Topping RA3 for a moment but then looks like they have huge failing rate.

PA5 II looks promising, and they fixed with it issue which was in RA3.

8 hours ago, geezin' said:

My Topping PA3s is dead silent with my Heresy 1

From mesurements it looks worse then Aiyima. Maybe it's matter of La Scalas higher efficiency.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:59 AM, Invidiosulus said:

I also have the previously mentioned Crown XLS 1002 and it sounds nice with my KP-250s.

70DD441F-CD63-4421-9235-EF8D083FF237.thumb.jpeg.b5dbba040a6bb6b154912097ea17f884.jpeg

I see you snuck in a can of Guinness. I have some Extra Stout

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bacek said:

From mesurements it looks worse then Aiyima. Maybe it's matter of La Scalas higher efficiency.

@Bacek I have updated the measurements I made about the Aiyima A07. It might be of interest to you.

As you'll recall I'm driving my tri-amped La Scalas with three A07s (1 for the tweeters, 1 for the squawkers, and 1 for the woofers). Here's the post.

I'm currently running a pair of the new Fosi Audio ZA3 as mono blocks to drive the woofers on my horn speakers and by next week, I'll have another pair to drive the tweeters. I've been rolling op amps in them and so far, I'm deeply impressed with the SQ. There is zero noise and the separation and imaging are exquisite with MuseS02 op amps in them. Next week, I'll also get a pair of Sparkos op amps to try, and will be able to a/b them. I'd previously been using a pair of Alesis RA150 mono blocks on the woofers and an Emotiva Mini-x a100 on the tweeters; they're great amps that performed well, but after a couple weeks with the ZA3, I'll concede that the class D amps are more betterer.
IMG_8569.jpeg.a8ea3c53064cca8125b0dd06e45c25e7.jpegIMG_8570.jpeg.68de7f471168dc57c240edc9a691b6ca.jpeg

• Like 2