Daughter Was Deployed Today

Gregorius

Greetings Gentlmen,

My daughter is in the US Army Reserves, they have been called up to active duty, and left this morning to go to a mobilization station where they are to be sent overseas to a still undisclosed location in about a week. She leaves behind a husband, and a 2 year old son.

Regardless of anyones politics, or feelings on this volatile situation in Iraq, we need to keep all of our troops in our thoughts and prayers as they do their duty.

Regards,

Greg

Our prayers are with all our Servicemen and Servicewomen.

Freedom is not free. Thanks to your daughter and other dedicated Americans, we can enjoy our music, go where we want to, and choose what we want to do with our lives. Sadly, few get to experience the freedoms we have and many hate us for what we are and have.

Mike Masztal, SGT

B Co, 1st Inf Bn.

82nd Abn Div

post-9771-13819246535554_thumb.jpg

This is close to home for me my son has been in the Army Airbourne since last June. He is stationed at Fort Bragg I think the only reason he hasn't been shipped out is the fact he is a new recruit. Best wishes for your daughter lets hope this nightmare comes to alot quicker finallity then it has to get to some sort of action.

Craig

Thanks Gentlemen,

Your kind words are much appreciated. My wife does not work so she will be providing child care while my son in law works, plus we get to see and spoil the little tyke every day.

Craig,

what unit is your son in? Is he stationed at Ft. Bragg?

Mike82,

Are you still active duty, stationed at Bragg? I was there myself from late 1981-1984. I started out in COSCOM 517th AVN Co., we were overstrength so I went AirBorne Hoo Rah, and went to work for F Co. 82nd Avn. We were located on Smoke Bomb Hill.

Regards,

Greg

Greg,

My heart and wishes go out to your daughter and her son and also to her entire family.

Remember to keep sending her letters, cards, and pictures of her son on a regular basis. Those things are extremely important to her morale a health.

I wish your daughter for a safe and quick return.

Scott Carroll

US Navy Veteran

Submarine Service

I hope that all of our service members come home as healthy as when they leave this time around.

Most of you aren't aware of this...just a small handful of you...but I recently went back into an Army Reserve troop unit program(less than three weeks ago), and many of the unit's personnel have been called up for duty already...mostly 88M(truck drivers). There is always a possibility that they will call me up, too. Likely not in my current duty MOS, but that means nothing since I have many years as an infantryman and infantry officer...and air defense officer...and could be utilized on battalion and/or brigade staff organizations where they could put my past experiences and training to good use. Out of all my years in service, 6 were on active duty and over 5 of that 6 were on jump status! If they call...I will go...pretty simple! My re-entry contract does not allow me to volumnteer for active duty...just to be called up like everybody else.

The local National Guard unit here was called to duty a few months back...and the next closest unit was called up just this past week...the air guard unit here has been rotating over there for a few months now...and the Army reserve units here are now having personnel getting called up. I will be 50 years old in less than a month...but if they need me and can use me...I hope they call on me! Airborne!

PVT-SSG/2LT-CPT; now SSG again

509th Parachute Infantry Battalion 73-76(1/509th Airborne Battalion Combat Team) & 90-92 (1/509th Airborne Infantry Battalion/OPFOR)...most of my active duty time except for a few months of special work out of JFK CMA in 73...I consider the 509th my regimental affiliation, though!!

Germany, Italy, JRTC(Arkansas)

Greg:

Like HDBR, I was there for 4 years in the 70s, but in my heart, will always be a soldier. A lot of what I learned while in the 82nd has helped me succeed in civilian life. It's an expereince I'd do again in a heartbeat. I've done quite a bit since getting out and still fondly remember the REAL MEN I served with. You don't find many comrades like that in civilian life. You ought to know.

Mike

It's rather eye opening to see the other side of people you talk to every day in a forum like this. I sure do respect the Military for probably the hardest job there is... I cant imagine anything more difficult at the moment. I sure know it's the absolute LAST thing I would want to do bar none. It pretty much embodies everything I dislike; then again, it's a necessary entity in some situations.

I wish all well who have children, spouses, or relatives heading off to this mess.

On the other hand, I would feel like a complete hypocrite if I didn't chime in here and say I think this war is perhaps one of the single most misguided choices I have seen in the last 30 years. In my view, it literally defies logic and reason, on all fronts. It appears mostly political, for the wrong reasons, and bound to escalate the very thing is it purported to be against: Terrorism. If you thought we had rogue terrorist problems before, wait till this war gets going. We have treated the Middle East with a heavy stick, unaware of the complexities and pretty much disregarding the differing cultures. Most of Europe and the rest of the World sees this for what it is... yet we don't.

I would personally like to go on record as being 100% against this. That being said, I sure hope the best for those that have elected to go forth. It sure isn't an enviable position.

kh

• Thanks 1

This different culture stuff is just an excuse not to do anything. The average Iraqi is scared to death that he'll step out of line. Scared to death because thousands *have* been killed for making Saddam upset. There hasn't been anything like this situation since Stalin.

A New York Times reporter wrote about witnessing average Iraquis shaking uncontrollably from fear when they were just asked simple questions. Sound like to you that this is simply a case of a different culture? Something too complex for dumb Americans to grasp? No one is going to benefit more from this war than average Iraquis--that is the ones that aren't used as human shields.

• Sad 1

Greg,

Thank you for all your sacrifices. You and your daughter help make us safe. I wish her well, plus success and safety. I will also say a prayer for her.

No one leaves a fight without a black eye. Al-Quaeda started it and we will get another black eye, but we will finish the fight, too. If we don't, we will get a black eye every day after school, from now on.

Hi Guys,

Some of you need to get out of the crib and into the world.I spend 4 months of the year in Europe,and have good friends in Germany and England.

1.Contrary to what you may read,we aren't viewed with hatred or fear by most Europeans.We aren't thought about AT ALL,any more than you think about Europe in your daily life.

2.The idea of the U.S. as a tyrannical,frightening entity would strike the average Euro as laughable.The rudest waiter in Paris wouldn't take a million to one odds on the U.S. going for world domination in the next zillion years or so.We are viewed as naive,erratic ,and occasionally bumbling,but also as singularly admirable in most venues of action.As a writer for for The Guardian said"America may wander about trying to decide a course of action,but it generally winds up getting things right."

3.Germany,France ,and Russia aren't trying to slow down or prevent a war for reasons of morality or any higher order thinking.On the contrary,their motives are driven by pure greed(France)political survival(Schroeder),and the possible loss of the most lucrative oil development in history(Russia).So much for morality.

4.Inaction in this affair will exacerbate terrorism in all forms.There is no question that Hussein is a murdering despot unseen since Hitler, et al.Wringing your hands and worrying about the repercussions of attacking terrorism won't have any effect other than allowing it to proceed.

5.Accept that we aren't a cruel,misguided nation.When Winston Churchill was asked to summarize the behavior of post WWII America(specifically when we were the only country on earth that posessed the means to decimate anyone we chose)he replied"It was the least onerous act in human history".

Best regards,

Pat

Way to be there Pat! I certainly will have our troops in my thoughts.And I appreciate their bravery and the sacrifice.They don't start wars,they do as their country ask.I wish you a joyfull reunion for your family Greg.