My 1980 La Scala's sound weirdly thin when Streaming FLAC files off NAS wirelessly

I thought I might post here since there are a lot of experts here.

My system is very simple.

I have a Wiim Pro Plus that receives a wireless network signal then delivers it into my Deware Rachel tube amp then to my 1980 La Scala's outfitted with new rebuilt ALK crossovers.

When I access my FLAC music files on my NAS drive using the Wiim app the music sounds weirdly thin. Not sure where the weakness is in my audio chain. 

Thoughts?

More information would be useful.

Is one or more components new?

Who rebuilt the ALKs? Is it possible one woofer is out of phase with the other? Have you tried reversing the + and - on one side?

• Like 1

Do you think the sound was thin compared to other audio sources like vinyl records and CDs? Or are you listening to this entire set for the first time, and is this your first impression of the LaScala?

• Like 2

Yes, there is definitely something wrong in my system. I just need to establish a sequential troubleshooting list to try to track it down.

The Decware Tube amp is brand new.

Yes, I will A/B a wired ethernet connection to see if that makes a difference.

I thought the suggestion that a woofer may be out of phase was a really good and thoughtful suggestion;)

ALK x-overs were bought directly from the grinch who stole Christmas (you all know about Al, I assume)

Any suggestions on a sequential troubleshooting list would be appreciated.

Thanks, bob

• Like 1

From my past experience, hardwired sounds better than wifi which sounds much better than bluetooth.

Also just because it says hi-rez don't always mean it sounds better. If a crap master is upscaled to 96k or 192k it will still sound like crap,just hi-rez crap :P

Lascalla's are very revealing, the quality of the original recording/master makes a huge difference. TBH  well recorded/mastered 16bit 44.1/48k files can and do sound fantastic.

On 5/20/2024 at 1:02 PM, bsacco1 said:

ALK x-overs were bought directly from the grinch who stole Christmas (you all know about Al, I assume)

You just made my day. Thanks

• Haha 1

Walk In The Park Baby Godku GIF - Walk In The Park Baby Godku Too Easy GIFs

Take A Walk Lily Diaz GIF - Take A Walk Lily Diaz Santiago Zayas GIFs

Good luck!   Imo, streaming just fills a void.  Waaaayyy too mny variables.  If you're not getting up & down to flip that lp you ain't gettin any bang for your buck!  Sure it's a pita but is the trade off really worth it?  Spinners & Curmudgeons Unite!  :)

"I have to tell you man. In listening to sound, I guess what I'm after is the closest thing that I can get to reality. Now, I know it's not going to be reality, cause the thing gotta go through wires and gotta go through filters and this and that. I understand all that. But what I really like is to get as close to the natural sound of the instruments as possible. That's why I like analog as opposed to digital. Because I don't give a shit what anybody tells you man, I know what you guys are going to tell me...'Oh yeah, but it's clean Ray!' Well it's clean but it don't got no balls!!!" - 1999 interview with Ray Charles

Yes, there is something wrong in my system. I just need to establish a sequential troubleshooting list to try to track it down.

The Decware Tube amp is brand new.

Yes, I will A/B a wired ethernet connection to see if that makes a difference.

I thought the suggestion that a woofer may be out of phase was a really good and thoughtful suggestion;)

Any suggestions on a sequential troubleshooting list would be appreciated.

Thanks, bob

-----------------------------------------------

I included an image of my hardware setup. The only hardware component missing now is a phono pre amp. 

I'm pretty much at a loss when it comes to software issues. Plex Media Server does not provide any support. 

Best bob

stereo setup 2024.png