It's not what your country can do for you, it's what you can do for me!

I am a sucker for JFK...

Read this, since saying "listen to this" would make little sense.

In Bellville Texas I was in the top 5% of my graduating class. Automatically accepted into any state college.

Now I am not in the top 10% (which is the auto admit level) because of illness, transition, psycho teachers hehe.

Well, getting into college was still not going to be an issue for me. Until...

My counselor and registrar forgot to do a few important things.

1. Send my college credit application to NWMCCS so my Government and English and Economics courses, which were going to be college credits, are not put as failures on my college transcript. Fun right?

2. Send my transcripts to, Uiversity of North Carolina, Texas A&M, University of Texas, Baylor, and Southern Methodist University.

3. Send my cousolor form to UNC.

So, of the above schools, technically I cannot attend. The only other school I have applied to is the University of Missouri at Columbia, if that falls through...

So, what can YOU do for me you ask? Why flood the schools listed in #2 with letters of recommendation or if you are an alumnus, or have a building there named after you haha, use yoru clout to get me in! LoL!

Lucky for me, I know someone who DOES have a building named after him for giving the money to A&M for its golf course who said he would do what he could.

Meanwhile, do you have any advice for me?

If I don't get into University of Missouri at Columbia (Mizzou) I could...

1. Work 1-2 semesters and try, try again.

2. Go to community college for 1-2 years and then try again.

3. Work at my current job, 3x minimum wage, and go to community college for a semester or two.

4. Just quit school and take over the family business in the Cayman Islands LoL!

Thanks for your help and advice!!!

Justin,

If getting into those schools you mentioned falls completely through, which I hope it DOESN'T, then your BEST option would be to go to a community college and work on the "freshman general requirement" courses. If you do this, then you will miss out on SOME but NOT ALL scholarship opportunities available to you if you had otherwise been able to go to one of your original schools of choice. If the need for a scholarship is/was not a pressing matter to you, then this is a non-issue. The key to getting into one of your schools of choice AFTER you have completed a semester or year of coursework at a community college lays MORE in how well you have done in your studies at the community college...IOW...if you have all "A"s, then you have a much higher chance of transferring into one of your colleges of choice...ESPECIALLY if you are highly recommended by your professors from the community college.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a student who has been holding down a job while taking a full-time load of college courses in which he/she is making "A"s, is generally looked upon MUCH MORE favorably by the admissions people in those big schools than one who has just been carrying full-time coursework and making those same "A"s. Trust me on this! Those admissions people are looking for transferring students who have already proven themselves fully capable!!

No matter which way you do it, if your chances at your schools of choice for the upcoming fall semester fall through...it is important that you understand that those same colleges EXPECT a certain Freshman failure rate...this is ALWAYS the case. And when somebody comes in asking to transfer from another school...and that student has all "A"s on their community college freshman requirements, then that student is MUCH MORE LIKELY to get in than any other transferring student...ESPECIALLY if that student also has high praise in recommendations from his professors at the community college...IOW, the incoming student has alredy "proven" himself! Freshman requirement courses are generally transferrable to any other college provided they are from an accredited college.

I hope this helps you some. I was a transfer from a community college, myself...and not only did my grades ease the door open to me, but the recommendations from my professors helped too! And to top it all off...I actually ended up being awarded the most prestigious scholarship the college I attended had at the end of my junior year in the new college. So, coming in from a community college is no big deal...it is MORE important what you do AFTER you transfer in than what kept you from getting there in the first place! Trust me...one can be a full-time student, work a job, perform military reserve duty, and have serious party time...and still make all "A"s if one is capable, determined, and wise in one's time management! You seem to have all of these attributes, so it shouldn't be a major problem for you! Just start brushing-up on your editing skills, though...hint!..hint! All college professors become English professors when grading your written examinations and term papers!!...ESPECIALLY the history professors!! Been there, done that!9.gif

I fully concur with HDBR. The first couple of years is about the same wherever. Build up that GPA, then go where you want.

Having some 275 semester hours and only two degrees, I am something of an expert in doing it the hard way...

Another thing to consider: It has become my theory over the years, and what I wish I had done, to treat the 4 year degree as learning how to learn and not neccessarily learning about anything specific. That is, a liberal arts degree to start. I am counciling my nieces and nephews, as well as my own children when they are older, to seek out a fine, small, four year liberal arts college and study Greek, Latin, music, math, arts, and literature. This foundation prepares one for anything.

Not what you asked for, but nobody named a single building after me though I painted my name on a few...

Dave

Justin,

University/College admissions requirements here in California are similar to what you describe in Texas. The only difference is the UC (University of California - 9 campuses) system has about 29,000 spaces for over 300,000 qualified applicants. Pretty tough odds for some great students. UCLA last year had the lowest acceptance to applicant ratio in the nation. My daughter had friends that were accepted at Duke, Stanford, Northwestern and some Ivy League schools that did not get in to the UC of their choice. That said, there is a way. If a student enrolls in a "Honors" program at any of the State JC's and satisfactorily completes 2 years of study, they have an almost slam dunk chance of getting into the UC of their choice (including UCLA and Cal). Additionally, some studies are showing that these JC transfer students are more successful in graduate school admissions. It's what I did 25 years ago. I highly recommend it.

Regards,

Chris

Justin,

I highly recommend continuing any path of education.

Do not start work with the premise of going back. Money warps our mind and once we have a certain standard of living giving it all up becomes very difficult.

The experience of college is truly priceless.

You will work the a better part of your life so take the time now and enjoy it.

My recommendation is attend whatever higher level institution you can get into and continue your pursuit of the college/university you had your dreams set on.

If a CC is the only school that you can enroll in DO IT.

You never know what you may learn or whom you will meet.

Good Luck,

Scott

One other thing, Justin...

When a potential transfer student to a large university can walk into the admissions office with a college transcript that shows all "A"s in the standard core subject matter (this does NOT include underwater basketweaving 101...LOL!)...and has a fistful of recommendations from his professors IN ADDITION TO a recommendation from his EMPLOYER throughout that time...those admissions people really stand up and pay attention! Just something to consider.

I'm not totally sure, but maybe Kelly Holsten is an alum of UNC ... I can't remember due to advancing age, senior moments and 1-1/2 hours in the dentist's chair this afternoon. In fact, I have novacaine-induced keyboard drueling happening as I type. The keys are sliiiiiperrrry !!

If you change your mind and want to consider Bucknell or NYU, I'll step to the plate. I've been sending them money for YEARS and only get more requests for money in return. Go figure.

I think Dave's point about liberal arts and "learning to learn" is valid, but at $25-$30K a year now, I think you need to get more bang for the buck. If you spent a little time studying emerging trends and the projected professional growth areas, stir in a little consideration of your aptitudes and interests, you may find that you can dial in a program that will get you well started right after college.

I've worked for large corporations for twenty-five years and have found the process lucrative but largely unfulfilling. There is also zero loyalty from employers these days. Had I to do it over again, I'd find a profession that fits well with my two and a half talents and give it shot.

My humble zwei pfennigs.

Justin,

If you have the entrepeneurial flare for it, you might consider taking over the family business. Most of the millionaires I know don't have degrees. They either built a successful business, often after one or more failures, or inherited a business which they continued to run successfully. You can always go back to college. In fact, some folks are better off taking some time between highschool and college. It gives them time to decide what they want to do and see the value of the education.

If its a college degree you want, there is nothing wrong with doing your first year or two at a community college. It gives you a chance to get your GPA back to what the universities want to see and to complete your general education requirements. Just make sure the classes you take are transferable to the university you want to ultimately attend and meet the requirements for that university's general education requirements. This will mean taking things like English, history, math, etc.

If you go to a community college, I would suggest you do it full time and forget the job. Jobs get in the way of education. I am taking welding at a local community college for the heck of it. And I see everyday how jobs interfere with education.

Justin,

There is some very good advice above. Stay in school; it is difficult to return later. The pay differential is now about 100% higher for a college graduate over a high school diploma.

Many of my students are in their late 20s to 40s, have a family, work 40 hours per week and do homework on weekends after attending classes 2 or 3 nights per week. I give a few breaks to working people, but other faculty members may not think working makes any difference. Sounds like fun doesn't it? It is much better to do it right the first time.

The traditional students that attend during the day have a much better life.

Many students that go back to school later attend schools that get them through quicker. Later they find out that Fly-By-Night-U degrees are not tranferable to accredited graduate schools. Another trap is to attend the community college only to find out that many courses are not tranferable, assurances of the CC advisors notwithstanding.

Get your parents involved. They need to go to the district superintendent's office and politely request that his staff straighten out the paper work promptly. Time is of the essence. Talk to school board members and let them know of your plight.

Pick a University that has both breadth and depth of programs that go the extra mile to help its students succeed. You will probably change your major at least twice so it is good to have choices.

If you are interested in any business major, feel free to ask me questions.

Bill

#4 is the top of MY list haha. I don't want to do teh work instead of college for a semester, and no real reason to do it, not a money issue or getting into community college. I am actually still a student at Blinn College, the No.1 community college in Texas! Hooo Ahh! 1.gif

I got an email from UNC today... how predictable...

The following credentials are missing from your application to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Please read this message in its entirety and arrange to have these items sent to us as soon as possible. If you have already submitted these items, please note that it may take up to three weeks for them to be received and filed. Unless otherwise noted, please send all missing items to Office of Undergraduate Admissions, ATTN: Missing Credentials, CB #2200 Jackson Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200. ****Please note that we are nearing the end of our review process for Fall 2003 freshman applicants. If your credentials have not been received by Friday, March 21, we will reluctantly withdraw your application from further consideration.****

MISSING ITEM: We have not yet received your Counselor's Statement. Please check with your counselor to make sure that the form has been sent; if it was mailed more than four weeks ago, please ask that a duplicate be sent to us as soon as possible. Additional copies of the form are available at http://www.ais.unc.edu/sis/admissions/uga/apply/UNC_Counselor_Statement_2003.pdf.

We have not yet received your official transcript from CYPRESS CREEK HS. Please ask that an official transcript be sent to us as soon as possible.

Unless you want to be a Wall-Streeter, Federal Judge, President of the ol' US, etc..., it really doesn't matter what school you go to. Naturally, if you care to do any of those things then you best be an Ivy grad, if not, then your success really depends on how hard you're willing to work and your personality. I've seen hard workers with ****ty personalites go nowhere in companies so it's really a combination of the two. As for grades, well, nobody in the real-world inquires as to what your grades were in college. Only Human Resource people do to 23 year old college grads who are trying to get an entry level position. Once you're entrenched and in your late 20s, nobody cares what your college grades were. Oh, they'll ask WHERE you went to school, but seldom inquire as to your GPA. That's one thing that you always see on a recent-college graduate's resume - his GPA because he really has little else (experience) to show his merits. Like I said, if it ain't Harvard, Yale, etc..., then it really doesn't matter all that much, realistically speaking. What counts more is your ability to see where the rubber meets the road, your work ethic, and your personality. It might seem easier for you to take option number 4, but get a degree somewhere first and THEN, if your future plans go into the dumpster then you always have option 4 to fall back on, which, incidentally, isn't a bad option - lol. If you don't get a degree though, you'll live to regret it. Down the road you'll find yourself giving excuses to people as to why you don't have one. It's a trap I've seen smart people fall into - better to be forewarned and heed the advice. You're gonna pay sometime. Better to pay now while you're young. Most of the time, it's easier to do in your youth.

I have no intention of not going to college, it was my dream since elementary school to go to Harvard, had the chance, invited to do a summer session for a measely $13,500 but stayed in houston with my girl friend... biggest mistake of my life thus far.

Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.

www.indiana.edu Read till your hearts desire!!

OK, So I am biased... one of 5 top connected Microsoft schools in the country.... And more important, your degree WILL be worth something too,

after you graduate.

I have great connections here. Enuff Said!!

I talked about Indiana University before. Sorry it was not your top 5 list. Your not from here = understandable. Pls look at it though:

Some things to consider....

IU has 53 undergraduate programs with top 25 national recognition and 32 with top 10 rankings.

http://www.indiana.edu/~iuadmit/dates/

(you still have time if you act fast!!)

Deciding On a Major

There are 13 undergraduate schools at IU, offering a total of 133 majors and 323 degree programs. Most freshmen begin their studies in the University Division and spend at least one semester taking general education classes before selecting a major and applying to one of our degree-granting schools. The University Division is a great option for students who are in somewhat of an exploratory mode, as it gives you the chance to sample widely and establish a liberal-arts foundation before determining an area of deeper study.

Incoming freshmen with strong high school records can be admitted directly into the College of Arts and Sciences, the Kelley School of Business, or the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation.

Whether you already know exactly what you want to study, or are still trying to decide, these resources will help you discover more about your academic options at IU:

Exploratory Student Resources can help you explore IU's majors, courses, and academic programs before deciding on your field of study

Individualized Major Program allows students to create and design their own customized majors

Majors & Career Series is an online resource to help you learn more about the majors we offer and the career opportunities in each

Honors College offers our most academically talented students a range of small, challenging courses along with a variety of extracurricular and service programs

Internships & Careers

At IU, you'll gain a solid academic background and the tools and experience necessary to find valuable work in the world. We have 15 career and placement offices on campus, most located within a particular school or area of study. Our career professionals can help you find a part-time job, get an internship, and be ready for a career after graduation.

To find out more about our internship and career services, visit the Career Development Center and our Internship Opportunities Program.

-------------------------------------------------

And last, but not least... Klipsch headquarters is just 1 1/2 hrs. away too!!