It's the help m00n with his new Belles thread.

m00n

m00n,

I already dedicated a thread to congradulate you.

Yes, do as all are saying, listen to them for a while and get used to how they react with different music, sources etc...

Don't be affraid to take them appart, just to see how they tick. Just be gentle with them.

I had my Las for seven years before I started tinkering with them. A special thanks to this BB for schooling me before I did.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me all of week with my Cornwalls to realize I was going to have to do something about the midbass. I really didn't have any problem with the sound of midrange. I found out with the lenses attached to the baffle, they really don't ring at all -- only when not attached. I did spray them down with acoustic damping spray -- which after 48 hours really didn't do squat. I could lay them on floor and do my tap test -- and they still 'pinged' like crazy.

I was glad to read what Chris said about the Type B crossover. They do sound very good just the way they are -- buy you always wonder what improvements might come with a change in the crossover. Based on Kelly's strong preference for the Type B, and Chris and Allan S. both staying with them -- I think I'll just give my soldering iron a rest.

Wow... Look at all the love.9.gif I go to bed come back in the morning and look at all the replies. Took me a while to read them all...

I should have stated one thing that I didn't which is that I have no plans on doing any mods to them at all right off the bat. My questions most likely were very pre-mature but I just wanted to get an idea of what kinds of things could be done.

For now I just want to get them and listen to them for a while. If I don't like them, you guys will be the first to know and will have first crack at them.

And yeah... Where is HornED been. I miss his words of wisdom and wit. I do hope he ok. 4.gif

I just got a call from the lady selling them. She really seemed like a very nice lady and couldn't seem to speak highly enough at the condition of them. So yeah, I really think I did good here. Oh and her son or friend works for a shipping readyness place or something to that affect and she said she can have them boxed up and shipped for a discount using UPS I belive. We are going to talk again on Monday.

Again I want to ensure you all I am not going to do anything to these speakers...

m00n

Excellent, mOOn. Looks like you are well on your way to a smooth transaction. Did you find out what color the grill cloth is??

I do wonder about the UPS thing though. Usually most will go with a trucking freight service for such a shipment. AFAIK, UPS maxes out at 70 lbs (unless they do special heavy goods shipping that I am unaware of). Sounds like he works for one of those Mailboxes Etc. or similar outfit, so they should have several options at their disposal.

Hi,

I just looked up the current "Blue Book" value of these on Audiogon.$1430.00 PER SPEAKER !Must be because these are frequently sought after as a single for center channel,and are desireable both as a pair and singly.

I have a pair built in 1986,and love the sound.You did well.

Best,

PL

Pland WOW! that is incredible these go for that much. And she said they are in PUUUUUUUUUUURFECT condition, no dings, no scratchs or chips. They had been hung up high in a cathederal ceiling so there was no access to them for them to get damaged.

I woke up this morning with a little buyers remorse, but am beginning to get rather jazzed again.

MOON: Congrats rick !!!!

Your going to be so blowen away from the sound of those belles. I still remember the first day i got my lascalas, i counld'nt believe the " air " they can move. BASS like you have never heard before.

Your in for a real treat when you first fire these babys up.

I can hardly wait to hear your response.

I'm real happy for you !!! 9.gif

Your buyers remorse will melt away the first time you hear 'em. I just hope they make the trip cross-country w/out any problems. Sounds like you have nothing to worry about, since she has someone to package them up. Wow, a couple of ebay "virgins" hooking up with a large sale... The fact she has no previous sales before, not to mention on such a large item(s). That would worry me more than anything. But I'm a worrier when it comes to my precious babies, that's why I drove 17 hours round trip to pick up my horns!

Johnny I am a worrier... A big worrier. I stress about everything which is why I am shocked at myself for buying these off eBay. I refused for a long time to buy anything of ebay.

kjohnsonhp For now I will be powering them with my Harmon Kardon AVR-520. Once I get my theater back in operation, the harmon will move back into the theater and I will be stuck with an old Sanyo piece of ca-ca. To be honest, we don't listen to the stereo all that much. But when I/we do, I want audio bliss. I have some time to research how I will power these belles.

Also, what gage speaker wire for these?

UPS actually will send stuff up to 150 pounds, even though 70 pounds is their normal weight limit. You have to pay an extra premium for overweight packages. I think FedEx Ground has the exact same arrangement. BUT, one Belle properly crated, not just with flimsy cardboard around it or something like that, will weigh MORE than 150 lbs. When I bought my center channel Belle, my seller disassembled it into two crates, and even then, because the 3/4-inch plywood crates were 50-60 pounds each, they were getting close to the weight limit!

So, you can pretty much rule out the normal easy shippers. This pair of Belles is going to have to be shipped by a trucking firm of some kind.

----------------

On 3/8/2003 10:39:06 AM Pland wrote:

Hi,

I just looked up the current "Blue Book" value of these on Audiogon.$1430.00 PER SPEAKER !Must be because these are frequently sought after as a single for center channel,and are desireable both as a pair and singly.

I have a pair built in 1986,and love the sound.You did well.

Best,

PL

----------------

Pland,

Do you have an Audiogon account to check prices??

If so would you mind checking me a couple prices? PLEASE?

Jeff

Also, forgot to mention that UPS, FedEx, and USPS all have 130 inch length and girth size restrictions. That also rules out Belles, no matter the weight, even if they were just in saran wrap.

From UPS: "Length is the longest side of a package or object. Girth is the distance all the way around the package or object at its widest point perpendicular to the length."

I'm relieved to hear that you have no intentions on modifying the Belle Klipsch anytime soon.

That's the key...LISTEN!

As I stated on NOZ's thread in the Home Theatre Forum, listen to them carefully, and get to live with them for awhile like all the others here have mentioned. Chances are, you'll be totally amazed by their sound right from the start!

Of course, amplification will play a vital role to their sound quality. Cables and interconnects, and high-quality sources also contribute in the scheme of things.

Since "rebuilding" my system to a simple CD/Amp/Cornwall setup, my horns have never sounded this good!

Mods do have their place if you think your sound needs to improve. But I've noticed through my own system that changing amps/sources/cables/room placement, etc., can have as great an impact on sound quality as updating squawkers/wires/crossovers, in my opinion, of course! Some will agree; others won't...let your ears be the judge. Rearrange your room completely if you have to, but the decision is up to you...LISTEN!

Enjoy your Belle Klipsch...they can't arrive to Oregon fast enough!2.gif

Congrats again mOOn,

I agree with HDBR...don't modify if you don't have to, examine them and listen to them.

I had my Khorns in storage for "6"years before I got them out of the shipping crates. I had originally re-pacted them with deficant silica packaging and also had them in a "heated" storage unit, best possible care I could at the time. Long story short, the cables were oxidized(green), I replaced all the wiring(upper and lower)myself with Monster MC500.

Check them out first and enjoy before you decide a major makeover.....just a thought.

I will add ALK crossovers someday......

Congrats Moon, they are going to really make you happy. dont do any mods at all for a while, first get some good tube amplfication going to those belles. A scott 299a done by Craig, you coulnt go wrong.Will set you back around 500 bucks or so.As far speaker wire just use some good 12 guage wire for now, you could always upgrade later, doubt if you tell a difference anyway.