Help! Need a good brand of PC!!!

mike stehr

All we need is a tower.

We currently are using Pentium 133 with DSL.

We have $700 for the task.

What's the concensus on Emachines?

I want to be able to use current or close Photoshop software.

Of course, DSL and speedy RAM.

I'm lost, I don't have a clue to go about this, not to mention transfering old HD data to a new HD.

Mike,

I like Dell products. I have purchased three different units. They seem to be dependable, and are very easy to work on by yourself. Dell sells refurbished/ and discounted units- through there web site.

E Machines are cheap, and don't have the Good equipment inside to do what you seem to want to do.

I recently purchased a Pentium 4,tower unit,speakers, and keyboard for 500.00

2gb hd, 256 memory,with an eathnernet card. prices have dropped even more. Hope this helps.

Re: eMachines - THEY ARE UTTER GARBAGE !. If you buy one you Will regret it.

Trust me on that I am a full time A+ certified Computer Technician and really do know what I am talking about regarding PC's. They provide attractively equipped PC's at the lowest prices imaginable. The downside is that those machines are flimsy, equipped with marginal components at every level and are notoriously unreliable. Some techs actually refuse to service them on the grounds that they are frequently impossible to economically repair and the customers wind up thinking the tech is trying to rip them off.

Find a tech or a computer savvy hobbyist and have them build you a machine from scratch. A budget of $700.00 will get you a very good - very expandible - PC that will outperform most "Name Brand" alternatives.

The Name Brand machines will however come with a lot of bundled software that your local tech cannot provide. That said most of that extra software is not fully featured and most users find that they will play with the bundled stuff a little at first and then rarely if ever access it later.

In addition to eMachines stay away from Compaq Presario and HP Pavillion PC's. You will not be happy with them in the long term.

I would have to second the Dell recomendation.

They seem to be fairly reliable, I have had one for three and a half years and the only trouble I have had has been the results of myself doing stupid things to the OS. The only hardware problem I had was the monitor died, but it was still within the three year warranty and after a short phone call they sent me a new one that has even better specs then the old one1.gif

Overall they seem to be pretty nice.

Peace, Josh

Dell, Gateway and Micron would be the only three that I personally would purchase. I would never have a HP or compaq. Compaq has good servers, but I would not buy a desktop. I don't like all the extra gobblee goop software HP and Compaq put on their PCs.

However, I build my own now.

m00n,

I agree with you-but with one cavet! Stay away from Gateway. They are owned by Netscape/Aol timewarner. You can't expanded them, and there service dept is not very good. IMO. You are a Man of many talents,computers/web design/ and now Belles!............

----------------

On 3/9/2003 12:32:42 AM Bill H. wrote:

m00n,

I agree with you-but with one cavet! Stay away from Gateway. They are owned by Netscape/Aol timewarner. You can't expanded them, and there service dept is not very good. IMO. You are a Man of many talents,computers/web design/ and now Belles!............

----------------

Bill, it has been a while since I have purchased my one and only gateway. I was a brand new Pentium II 266. Hey that was a few years ago. Anyway, I had a great experiance with them, I am guessing they have gone downhill since then?

Oh... I guess you could say I have a few things I am knowledgable about. Not sure if I am talanted or not.2.gif I actually wanted to become a draftsman and do architectual drafting in specific. I used to love designing houses. Then I had to take my first autocad class in college, played my first computer game, I was hooked on computers. Had to find out how they worked and the rest is history. Now I am a software engineer. I miss drafting...

Moon,

I may have been hasty with the gateway comment-I did have one for 2 1/2 years. I tried to expand it, (266) but it was far more hassle . Whereas the dells covers come off eaiser, and you can clearly see the insides to get to the componets. MHO.

Oh no... I didn't take your post as hasty at all. I was actually figuring you had some bad experiances since i purchased my gateway some years ago.

I agree about the case thing. I enjoy a nice and easy case to get into.

I don't own stock in Emachines, so I'm not emotionally involved in them, but I feel I must mention that I have an Emachine T1400 (AMD 1700) which I bought a year ago as an open box at Circuit City for $400, and it has run without a hitch. I'm not sure how their components stack up, but I do know they used a Seagate hard drive in it. I didn't bother looking at the names on the other components.

Again, not jumping into a debate here, just sharing my experience. For me, and our use (which is NOT intensive graphics or gaming), it's a great solution.

DD

P.S. I've since built 4 myself... :)

lynnm, what is your opinion of hp's pavillion series? i have the 8860, and it has been a pain in my arse since i bought it, i am currently awaiting my 3rd monitor, and every time i use programs for any period of time the computer freezes, i mean for instance, money programs, bookeeping programs, after just a few months of use the drive wont work properly ans begins degrading the whole drive, i have had hp tecks tell me to restore, and have 6 times now, and once i do it still wont operate the programs so i have to buy new bookeeping software?12.gif