Help! Need a good brand of PC!!!

mike stehr

Just gonna throw my own 2 cents in here.

1. Dell/ Gateway, I've had a lot of succes with both. When I was doing more computer hardware support, I regularly dealt with 5 labs of 30 computers. All Gateway/Dell machines. Rarely saw serious problems, and when I did, it was never regularly one company or the other.

I actually prefered dealing with Gateway when it was something I needed to contact them with. They seemed a little more responsive.

As far as the comment that Gateway is harder to upgrade, all the of the Dell/Gateways are no problem to upgrade, they use pretty much the same cases,hardware etc.

My main concern if I were you is to not get a celeron processor. Preformance for applications like photoshop is going to be much worse than P3/P4 or an Athlon/Duron.

-mkl

i had no sucess with compaq, but with my www.micronpc.com they make it so you can install/upgrade anything without a screw driver and theres extra slots to install them, mine came with 1agp and 5 pci. They make really good machines.

Marksdad

I have yet to meet an HP Pavillion PC that I couldn't learn to hate 11.gif

While Dean might be right that you have a bad memory stick I rather doubt it is the most likely explanation.

Rather than Hijack this thread I am going to start a new thread.

See you at Marksdads Pavillion is a Piece of Poo ! 9.gif

Thanks for the quick replies, folks!

I figured the Emachines are junk.

(Too much of a package for too little money.)

We do have a good friend who is a Tech and a geek as well.

He'll want us to build a Tower, trust me.

Don't feel like your hijacking the thread Lynn, all inputs are valued here.(And thanks for yours.)

Thanks again, all!

Emachines and most economical BS is plain compost filler.Trash can parts,slow hard drives,pathetic video cards on poor bandwith boards teamed with turtle spped memory.All packaged in a cheapo case with a piss poor power supply(under 300W and rated at peak power! LOL)

The best route is DIY(yes LOL)or custom built computer,makes Dell and a few other known brands seem expensive.

Where you cannot compete with Dell is if you are looking for a basic PC for the internet.Because all of the low end no name PC's use GARBAGE components.

And dont belive the hype of many PC "expert" sites who rave about ASUS boards.Asus has one of the worst warranty services.You send a defective motherboard and they send you back another defective board!

The most trust worthy motherboards are from INTEL(for Intel CPU's)and TYAN(Intel and AMD CPU's),I work over 10 years in computers,I build 1000's of PC's and know the brands very well.

So if you go the "build" your PC route Intel or TYAN boards should be on top of your list.And stay AWAY from SIS chipsets.The ASUS P4S8X is unstable,and its a P4 board! A P4 unstable!!!You have to really have a piss poor chipset to make a P4 unstable.

The main reason ASUS,ABIT,MSI are so popular is beacause of overclocking features.And anyone with experience can tell you the best overclockler at this moment is a P4 2.4GHz boosted to 3.4GHZ!!I have a 2.4Ghz running 100% stable at 3.4.This of course on a ASUS P4PE(did not die yet LOL)and dual Corsair PC3500 CAS 2 memory,OCZ works as well.

Anyway when you build your own PC stay with known names,like Western or Seagate for hard drives.Toshiba or Pioneer for DVD,LiteOn or Plextor for CDRW.MSI or ATI for video,Antec or InWin for a basic case,LianLi or CoolerMaster for the good looking aluminum.The best power supplies are made by Antec,Enermax and Vantec.Keep away from ProPower,DEER,Shark Technologies,the DEER brand is a known motherboard annd hard drive KILLER!

Mouse and keyboard by Microsoft or Logitech(the new MX mice are some of the best made),monitor I would look at Samsung or KDS for LCD's or NEC/Mitsubishi or SONY for CRT's.

As for CPU choice Intel runns cooler,you dont need monster cooling for them and the retail version cooling is even A ok for overclocking!AMD retail fans are poor quality and fail,this is a known fact.

You need an aftermarket heatsink/fan like a Alpha8045 or Swiftech MCX462 with a silent 80mm fan to get rid of the noise and maintain proper cooling at all times.

I'll stop now,I am not here to write a book.

Go buy a MaximumPC,its a good general PC mag.Its rare I disagree with their choices,most of the time they say it like it is.If it stinks they bash the trash,itf its deserving components they rank them well.

Greetings Gentlemen,

I just built a new computer using an Intel 845PESVL MB, P4 2.4B 533 CPU, 1 GB of Crucial pc2700 DDR ram, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Video Card, Enlight 340w server case. That part was less than $600 from newegg. I had a 80GB WD HD w/ 8MB cache, a 19" monitor, and a Lite-on CDR from my other computer. I am running WinXP Pro, and have not had a single crash since it was built a month ago.

I agree with Ears about using Intel MB for stability, my old computer had a Abit LX6 MB and after 5 years it was getting real flakey and crashing at random.

Regards,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...