Onix Rocket loudspeakers

KAiN64

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/9/2003 3:11:17 PM j-malotky wrote:

Also, my first post was a joke refereing to the antics of some of us a few months ago. Most of you replying to it got it, FYI - NOZ, Moon and the others are no way experts in Rockets.

JM

----------------

Yeah I know. As wrong as that little incident was.... It was a hoot.83.gif

John Albright,

You bet,the AV123 or what ever salesman pop up from time to time on various audio related forums and try to sell Onyx(also known as Hi-Vi and Swans).To listen to them is to hear we equal B&W and Dynaudio.

Well flash news NOT

Dynaudio makes superior speakers and so does B&W.And if you inspect Hi-Vi Reasearch lineup you will see they almost copy Dynaudio and Focal drivers!What a joke

They may claim to be leaders,leaders of copycat yes.

Anyone knows the best soft dome tweeters are not made by Hi-Vi but by Dynaudio(Esotar needs no introduction)and ScanSpeak(Revelator).As for midrange again Dyne,ScanSpeak and Morel make the finest midranges,for woofers its Dynaudio and Focal.

I would like to see the Onyx salesman pop up here,they would get butchered.Or try to sell their speakers to Dynaudio owners. LOL

Plus they have some wild claims about their subs,what a joke.All know SVS costs no more and trounces them.

The company hype sounds like Joly speakers,remember Joly with their best in the world speakers from Taiwan? Just too funny,the owner and founder of Joly must be smoking plenty of grass before he started his business.

Joly makes B0$e almost look good!

----------------

Yeah I know. As wrong as that little incident was.... It was a hoot.

----------------

I think the banter between Rocket and Klipsch fans can be fun but should be "above board". Perhaps there can be a renewed exchange of HT and music ideas across boards in the future. It was unfortunate the inter-community exchange got off to such a poor start.

My observation from reading the thread on the multi-vendor forum was that the "incident" reflected poorly on this forum/community and I recall ended with appropriate apologies from this forum. Although many have accepted and moved on it still seems to have left a lingering bad taste among many about this board which is a shame. There are many that participate in multiple forums and new blood is a positive influence on this forum, therefore it's not in this forum's best interest to pursue spreading bad perceptions about the Klipsch forum or Klipsch owners in general.

----------------

On 5/10/2003 1:20:38 AM kjohnsonhp wrote:

----------------

Yeah I know. As wrong as that little incident was.... It was a hoot.

----------------

I think the banter between Rocket and Klipsch fans can be fun but should be "above board". Perhaps there can be a renewed exchange of HT and music ideas across boards in the future. It was unfortunate the inter-community exchange got off to such a poor start.

----------------

Damn... That is just going to haunt ol NOZ and I forever. 4.gif

----------------

TheEAR Wrote:

I would like to see the Onyx salesman pop up here,they would get butchered

----------------

The comment above isn't necessary. The owner has a wonderful on-line presence and accepting position of other brands and perspectives.

He addresses comments like the above daily on several multi-vendor forums and only shows up on threads like this one where his product is being discussed.

He also is a registered member of this forum as are many Rocket owners thanks to the "incident".

These are all friendly fellow audio enthusiasts who are not trying to push their opinions or products on us but will engage in lively discussion when queried. We should welcome each other and try to articulate our opinions.

Just for the record I have no reason to defend or promote Onix. I own Klipsch Heritage speakers and have been a frequest poster on this forum.

The thread was well behaved and got a complement from the moderator, but once it was determined that you were conspiring over on this forum to stir up the Rocket fans the thread was closed and the moderator was very upset.

Many non Klipsch forum members loved the Rocket/Klipsch discussion. It was as shame it wasn't above board.

I don't want to make it seem too bad either...in the end I think those that came over here patched things up.

I didn't see much on this forum (I don't read the general board) but glanced at it in the end after reading all the outrage on AVS.

I guess I should shut-up about this and let this thread die...

Have a great weekend.

Hi y'all! Yeah, I'm the Klipschead wannabe that ended up with a Rocket setup for form fit reasons more than anything else. I really loved the "forward" Klipsch sound in auditions at Tweeters, but the RB-75 was not ready in time and I could not fit an RF-7 in my space, so I pulled the trigger on a full 7.1 system with Rockets and SVS Ultra sub. Pictures here: http://www.sweetnancy.com/hometheater.htm

Anyway, I love the Rocket sound for my HT. They are truly wonderful speakers with a form and finish better than any I've seen anywhere. I've posted raves at some other forums, but if it comes up, I am careful to say that I have not had the chance to A/B them with my other favorite - Klipsch - in my room with my system. They are a very different sound, as others have indicated, but it works incredibly well with HT. 2 hours at the wife-banishing and dog-cowering levels that suit some flicks (like xXx or We Were Soldiers) are an incredible, immersive experience with no lingering afteraffects to my ears.

As happy as I am with the Rockets, I can't help but wonder what a Klipsch system would sound like in my room. If I ever get a chance to A/B them properly, I will.

Gordon

Loves Rocket and Klipsch

How conflicted is that? 1.gif

Hey Ears, I think you made your opinion pretty clear on the rockets, but I was wondering if you have ever heard them? I have never heard them nor am I trying to defend them, just curious if you have ever actually heard them, or are you just basing your opinion on the specs that you have seen on them?

Any product, well thought out and executed -- will sound good. After a week of living with something well made and thought out -- becomes very easy to live with indeed. Hey, I'm getting ready to fire up the DQ-10's I just restored -- still one of the best sounding speakers to my ears -- and guess what? They ain't Klipsch!

Ears old buddy, you need to up your medication -- some of the best sounding speakers ever made used $15 drivers. Ain't much in a driver that can't be fixed with a good crossover design. BTW - weren't most of those fancy Dynaudio drivers designed for car systems?

Using great drivers doesn't mean the speakers will sound great -- just ask any DIY'er. It's about the total design package.

The world needs more speakers like the Rocket. Maybe someday they will be hated by "audiophiles" as much as Klipsch, Polk, and Bose.

As someone that is into DIY projects I must put my 2 cents in. Some may only spend 20 bucks for a driver but I won't. I prefer to by the best components that I can buy for the type of project I am building. If it was a $75.00 2 way then yeah, a $20.00 dollar driver might be the way to go. But I personally prefer to buy my components a little at a time in order to end up with a premium product without breaking the bank. And yes it will sound much better then using a $20.00 speaker. Good engineering, patients, and products make the design and sound quality. IMHO

• 2 months later...

I am reviving this thread from the dead, because I got a chance to hear the rockets finally. Well I'm gonna sound like a parrot, but no they are not klipsch. I would not purchase them over RF7's. The look, well they look pretty nice I guess. Not too fond of that wood veneer. I must say though that Mark Schifter is a class A guy. I got a chance to meet him, and if you audition the rockets and find them to suit your pallet then you should feel safe about getting great service from a guy like that. They were not for me though. I also got to hear some MBL's towers in 2 channel and I thought they were an excellent speaker.

I strongly considered Rockets until that night. It was a dark cold night and I just finished adding the second sub into the mix. The music was Santana 2 channel and I sat there pressing every remote button to turn off the center channnel. I want 2 channel dammit. I completely disconnected the center channel and it was still play, so I though. The imaging is incredible. I have heard may other speakers lately and no a single brand has demostrated the same sound re-creation.

I recently tested the new RF15,25,35. They sounded good and at the price point a great deal. But for giggles the sales man connected the RF7s. Ahhhhh yes the sound of RF7s brought me back to the days my HT was actually able to project sound, next week it will be back up.

though the RF7s can be harsh on bad recordings, I am will to seek alternatives to the Pioneer 49txi than to try another speaker.

Have not heard Rockets but they look pretty.

Scott

I got to hear the Rocket RS750 a while back. Good speaker for the money but nothing great. Grossly overrated and overhyped IMO. Warm, dull, laid back, muffled type of sound. If you like the klipsch sound you will hate the rockets. The Rockets are marketed as HT speakers and their music performance is subpar considering the price tag on these. IMO you can get far cheaper speakers that are more musical.

----------------

On 7/18/2003 4:11:34 PM bruinsrme wrote:

The music was Santana 2 channel and I sat there pressing every remote button to turn off the center channnel. I want 2 channel dammit. I completely disconnected the center channel and it was still play, so I though. The imaging is incredible. I have heard may other speakers lately and no a single brand has demostrated the same sound re-creation.

----------------

Hehe - I had the same experience. I was playing Eternity X - The Edge on my system, and like you, I was just about pressing every button on the remote and double checking the display to see that I was in 2-channel/stereo mode, but darn it, it sounded like the center speaker was still playing! I finally got up and put my ear against the center, and lo and behold, it was indeed off and all the musice was coming from the two RF-7s. I guess before that, I just did not realize what a "good sound image" sounded like. But dang, it was that moment when I just realized what was considered "good imaging". I could very easily place all the instruments as well as the singer in the space in front of me. I was completely blown away at how awsome that sounded. I went over to the local Tweeter and listened to other speakers right after that, but man, those Klipsch still sounded the best to me, even compared to the Martin-Logans I was listening to.

As for the Rockets, from what I saw on thier website, they indeed look like some nice looking speakers. Since I have never listened to them, I cannot comment on how they perform. I would not mind eventually getting the chance to hear some, though.

IMO, they only sell them on the internet because they don't want you to compare them with anything else.

Naw. Who would believe that story?

They sell them on the internet to 'pass the cost savings on to you!'

2.gif