1960 walnut Klipschorns on eBay, Portland Oregon area

Parrot

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fini-

I agree, these are absolutely beautiful. And I noticed something about the logo; it is clear, so you can see through to the veneer. My '68 K-horns have the clear pie slice logo, so I wonder when they went to the black/gold pie slice? These would go wonderful with my '68s. Too bad I don't live in Oregon. Then again, if I did, I wouldn't have the ones I got for a very good price. I can bet these will go up pretty high. Anyone have experience with the wooden horns?

Personally i looked at those k-horns and about got an audio woody LOL!

I like the clear logos a lot, would like to have some, or get an engraver and trace the way Klipschorn is written on small plex glass!

1960, you see the patends theres only like 9, now lots more, the wooded horns look to be in great shape, but i wonder what one would do if a squawker went out, replace the horns, get a diaphram somehow, is that university?

Dam horn looks like the Altec 511, a metal version, of the old wooded horn ,that always made me wonder, if the 511s werent a bad idea to begin with!

Grill cloth looks to be in good shape, these would be another E-bay winner, as far as vintage goes, grab them, before i sell a set, and get them LOL!

Yea right

Regards Jim

9.gif

Jhawk92

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying those 68's. I am hopefully getting a pair of 80's this weekend.

Wish me Luck ?

BTW If Murphy back doors me on those I am gonna take a very serious run at those 60's - They are breathtaking !

Golly Gosh Gee Willikers!!! I can't think of any other words to describe those (just looked at them for the first time). Usually don't even bother looking at west coast speakers. I sure hope someone here buys them, moves to Maryland then decides to sell them. lol - no one in their right mind would get rid of those. Not something you come across every day. Always seems to be an elderly gentleman, doesn't it? Never an old fart.

The 60 khorns on ebay have Difrent looking Midrivers should be university for 1960 I think .The drivers look like recent models or maybe somthing diffrent all together.

I thought klipsch used just 2 diffrent mid divers from 1950 to 1980 the the orig university or the atlas k55 all the old atlas seen have tapered round drives not even as these have????

Anyone seen drivers shape like this?

The sound of the old wood mid horns to my ears(recoding studio owner) sound a lot smother

and just plan warmer with both the Atlas and university driver.

I would never trade my early horns for later.

I have 3 diffrent style early tags on my khorns My oldest the 51 has the clear tag in block letters.The 59 style B has clear in scipt like the 60,s on ebay.

My 58 and 59 style D have white with scipt in black (I like the looks of this type the best).

I have a 60 cornwall with the same grill clothand finish a perfect match for a center,dam wish I was'nt already tapped out on khorns they would look mint together.

Running out of room for anymore. But wait if I built some false walls and .......

dndphishin-

I know, it's kind of ridiculous for me to be thinking about these--I don't really have the ideal listening room and the Belles are working great (and the '68 verts are still cranking in the living room while I await DeanG's magic box). On the other hand, the Klipschorns are within driving distance for me. I went over and listened to them today. Nice folks. Of course this entry will bump the topic back up to the top and encourage more bidding competition but dat's life. Maybe I could sell my Belles on the forum and if these don't go too high...

'58-

I wonder about those sqwaker drivers too. They look more modern to me. The terminals are spring loaded. Cabinets are not actually mint, but are very good. I don't think most people know what "mint" means (other than the York candy).

James Brown quote of the day:

"...somebody help me!"

Best in horns,

triceratops

If it makes your decision any easier, triceratops, I think you should buy these Klipschorns. How often are old ones this nice going to be within driving distance of you? If you don't want the Belles for something else, like say multi-channel, you can always sell them.

Plus, few people have an *ideal* listening room. But you can probably make yours work well enough.

I guess the drivers could have been "upgraded" sometime down the line.

One of the nice things about this pair is that it is a *pair*. At that point not all that many people were into stereo. Since the serial numbers are different by a couple of hundred or so, it looks like the owner bought one initially and then a second was made to match. (They do match pretty well?) Which I believe would have entailed sending the first one back to the factory so they could find veneer as similar as possible.

Lynnm-

Yeah, I love mine, so hopefully you will be able to get your pair. You certainly deserve them. If not, then you should go after those '60s.

If you don't, someone on this board should grab them. I'd be tempted to drive a LONG distance for those, even if they have been slightly modified. The pics look like they are in immaculate condition, about as good as mine. Which, BTW, I have posted some pics of mine on the board.

Rob

Looking in the Dope from Hope papers, Vol. 12, No. 5, Klipsch recommended the University SAHF midrange driver (used on Klipschorn 1951-61) be replaced by the K-55-V. No doubt that the owner of these switched out the originals to the K-55-V, per Klipsch's advice.