Klipshorn AA Crossovers

lynnm

I have a pair of 1982 Khorns that I am fixing up (Restoration is not a fair description because I don't have that level of talent).

They have the type AA Xover. Should I try to improve them or Just leave well enough alone ?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Sunnysal:

I had the ALs in my La Scalas, and have some AAs given to me by a friend. The AAs, to me, are more open and have better high-end response. I would certainly use them for awhile, and then maybe try a capacitor/coil upgrade in one channel to see how you like it.

Lowther without any crossover at all sound pretty good, too!

If anything I would replace all the short runs of wire on it, I just went through my 3 La Scala's. I replaced all the wiring to the drivers and replaced most of the wiring on the crossover as well with fresh wire and new terminals. I cleaned the terminal strip real good first with compressed air and then scrubbed the terminals with a old toothbrush and treated the contact with Caig's ProGold. I am sure replacing the 25 year old wire on the speakers and crossover had to have made some improvement. As for me I am leaving my "AA"'s all original. I might purchase some ALK's for my Khorns eventually or attempt to assemble them myself.

Replacing wire could be good. I have an Atwater Kent tube receiver that I restored (for those who don't know, we are talking 1920s, here!!!), and its original wire was in such good shape, I am using it now -- though never when we are not home.

That old radio with its globe 01As is my AM source, and I also use it with a horn speaker: Not a klipsch, and old Radiola! It was a major repair project, but sounds wonderful....it's a living example of where all of this came from! When I learn how to post pictures, I'll post a picture of it!

Erik

Erik,

Its great that you mentioned those 1920's thru 40's radio's. I have a local test equipment rebuilder (most tube testers) that lives about 5 miles from me. He has a collection of Pristine table top , Console and even one End table Radio !! These things sound wonderful and Look it too !! Everyone he has is literally in like new condition meticulously restored they are a work of Art and proof to American craftsmanship of that era. They have to be worth a fortune. They are really Great !

On the crossover note. I have tried the industrial AL , ALK (built with the best parts) and then AA with the diodes removed and the coils loosened from the boards. I have absolutely have no desire to change these in any way my Lascala's are breath taking never harsh just perfect ! No horn dampening or other tweaks required.

Craig

I'm running Type AAs with All Hovland Musicaps and/or Type ALKs. Thay are very sililar, each having its advantage. Switching to premium parts makes the Type AA shine even more. I have disabled the zener diodes. They are not need in sane home use.

Thanks Folks

I sit here listening to my lovely beasts and realise that they are everything I have ever hoped for and I am definitely going to leave well enough alone !

PWK may well have been on to something here 9.gif !

Thank You Mr. PWK Sir !

lynnm,

What type of drivers are in the k-horns? Are they alnico? If so you are good to go with the AA's. If they are not they will leave a gap int the mid-high frequencies.

Anyways, glad to see your happy.

----------------

On 5/24/2003 7:15:52 PM lynnm wrote:

Thanks Folks

I sit here listening to my lovely beasts and realise that they are everything I have ever hoped for and I am definitely going to leave well enough alone !

PWK may well have been on to something here
9.gif
!

Thank You Mr. PWK Sir !

----------------

If you have stock AAs you can squeeze more music out of them by building a set from first rate components. They can sound quite good.

AA-7%20pair.jpg

John-

Speaking of zener diodes, I posted pics of my Type A x-overs from my '68 Khorns in one of my posts. I asked what the extra connectors were and someone mentioned they might be the zener diodes. How did you disable the diodes in your AA? Does it just require removing them from the x-over itself? How does/did that change the sounds? Thanks!

Who told you to remove the Zener diodes they protect the tweeters, i wouldnt do it, although i was told there bad for an amp!

Oh i see John Albright, yea like he said use sane volumes if you do this, i took mine out, heard no differene, but 77s are getting rare, so i put them back in!

Regards Jim14.gif

I have to say that John and I arn't worried about tweeter protection since we switched to the JBL 2404H tweeters. It's also a much nicer sounding tweeter. John will have to explain to you more about the network, that part is over my head. I'm using the ones in the photo with my Altec 290 midrange drivers and the JBL tweeter. Very nice.

Lynnm,

I know what it feels like to wait for a pair of Klipschorns. I was 12 years old when I heard my first pair. My next door neighbors father had a pair. That was in 1962, and I spent a lot of time at his house untill I was 18 years old. I wonder why? The sound was burned into my memory. I didn't obtain my first pair untill around 1998.

I did buy a pair of Cornwalls in 1974, but brought them back and got a pair of LaScalas in a week. The Cornwalls sounded nothing like the Klipschorn to me. I lived with those LaScalas for a long time thinking about Klipschorns. When I brought home my first pair of Klipschorns my kids thought that I was nuts.( Not to say that I'm not)

They just loved the LaScalas and couldn't imagine

anything better. Once I fired up the Klipschorns thay understood why I bought them.

maybe I missed something but...those k-horns are going into a corner or getting false corners aren't they? or was that just for the photo. if not, then forget x-overs and focus on corners...let me know, I am with wrinkled brow over this one. tony