Picking up '88 khorns and need electronics advice

ppf

I'm a newbie to high end audio, just bought Khorns off ebay and would like recommendations on decent affordable equipment to use with these speakers. Tube or solid state,brands, prices, new or used, etc. ppf

Nice, buy Klipschorns first, thats rare!

Ive seen people here that own everything else, and caint seem to get Klipschorns, to save their A$$ LOL!

I have 2Haflers, 1pyramid amp, 2 H/k 430 and 730, adcom pre amp, 2 sony 300, and 200 disc units,and a few others!

Anyway, i sold 1 H/K 430 for 100.00, these are nice on our horns, let me know what your ganna do!

Regards Jim

9.gif

Nice job on getting those Khorns for $1800, I was suprised they did not get scooped up even sooner. I have '88 Khorns as well and love them. They will sound good with most electronisc, I guess it depends on your budget and what you are trying to achieve. For example strictly a two-channel setup, or are you going for the multi-channel Home Theater thing. We need more info! What are your listening preferences and what sources do you have? CD, DVD, Turntable, SACD, PC? We are only as good as the information that we are provided. What is your audio goal?

Yep, congrats on those '88s. I was watching and hoping someone from the board would get them. All the earlier recommendations are good, but you do need to figure out what you want to do with them. Solid state amps sound really good, and supposedly, tubes sound even better. At some point, I try the tube route. But whatever you use, I know you'll enjoy them.

Thanks to all. I listen to rock and classical CDs and the local noncommercial radio stations KPFT, KTRU, and KUH. I will be trying to get rigged up with simple components to begin with.

I can't recommend a nice set of tubes enough. If you're looking for simple or inexpensive, someone on this board is selling an Eico integrated tube amp for less than many HT receivers at Best Buy. Although I have no experience with this amp, enough people here have praised it that I'd have no hesitance in buying it myself. Your new Khorns will sound good, get some good tubes and you will be amazed at how well they will sound.

I used solid state equipment for years on my Khorns and I was very happy with the huge sound they would produce. Now that I'm a little older, I have really come to appreciate the quality of sound from the combination of tubes and horns. I've tried equalization with not very good results, I've tried subwoofers and they just don't mix in well. I keep going back to a simple preamp, tube amp, and Khorns. I'm trying a bi-amp setup right now, and I'm not sure how I'll like that in the long run. My bet is that I'll eventually go back to the simplest setup I can get. So I think that's my advice to you; keep it simple.

Greg

I have to agree with Greg..don't even think about a sub with the Khorns..I've had me 83's since they were new..tried numerous amps..both SS and tubes...right now I'm hooked up with an Adcom SS preamp GFP-565 and an Assemblage tube amp SET-300B..the sound is amazing..all equipment will sound good but bear in mind these speakers are so sensitive you'll never push the volume dial past 9 or 10 o'clock.

Great choice..you're done buying speakers! As for the rest of equipment..get ready for a never ending shopping trip!

Steve

Options are almost endless. I can't make a solid state recommendation though many folks like MacIntosh with Klipsch.

You definitely want some tubes in the chain. Tube preamp for sure if you go with solid state amp. Almost anything by Cary using 12AU7's or 6SN7's ($750 - $1000). A bit more affordable would be the AES AE-3 (solid state rectified, used for $350) or AE-3 DJH (tube rectified, $800 used). Newcomers Korato and Mapletree Audio have some interesting products as well -- but no one here has any experience with them. I think Mapletree deserves a shot.

You could lose a chromosome or two trying to make an amp decision. Don't. Get the preamp right, and it's hard to screw the amp choice up.

You mind as well get it over with and figure $2000 for a nice set of monoblocks and preamp. You would be finished -- and wouldn't have to find yourself in the position of being on all fours -- crawling around in upgrade hell -- looking for the next best thing.

Everyone has their preferences -- and after being around the block with this stuff, I think you need between 20 and 40 tube watts for unrestricted dynamics at 'live' listening levels. If you never listen loud -- you can try SET.

I have personally settled into the EL-34 ultra-linear configuration -- but I listen to Rock around 95 db.

You should spend some time here learning a bit before you jump. Use the search utility and read as much as possible, come back with more questions -- then make a decision. Again, don't skimp on the preamp.

That being said, I do feel that Mike Sanders of Quicksilver Audio has just about cornered the market on amps using simple circuits that are tried and true reliable, rich in texture without giving up much detail, expansive soundstages, and enough power to get the pant legs flapping.

The old standby at the forum here however is the Scott 299a II or 299B integrated. If you have to settle -- this is where you want to be. $500 to $700 refurbished by Craig of NosValves. This sound is a stones throw away from the very best.

Dean,

Are your Quicksilver's quite at idle? My ss amp makes a slight hissing sound at idle that is noticable and detracting at times. Also, do you ever hear "tube rush"? I don't know that much about tube gear, but I'm finally ready to listen/experiment with a tube amp with my Khorns. I have read good things about the Moth Audio Si2A3 and the Coincident Speaker Technology SIP 300B, both of which have source switching and volume control....very appealing because I would like to eliminate the pre-amp....have you ever listened to either one? Coincident claims that their SIP300B is "dead quiet" at idle, but remains something I'd have to verify if I got the chance. I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch of different tube amps just to find out what they all sound like, ie, 2A3, 300B, etc. Any words of advice for someone looking for a very high quality, very good sounding amp(that a lot of people agree on, preferably not from the established audio press), that is quite at idle and doesn't have what I guess what is referred to as microphonic noise (aka tube rush?). Thank you! Austin

Tube amps often "measure" higher noise. However, I've found that solild state amps that are known to measure more than 20 decibles lower noise were actually higher noise than my tube amps. Turned all the way up, the noise & hum are clearly audible anywhere in the room. With the tubes I can do the same thing & put my ear right up against the horn & its dead silent.