Does anyone ever watch the bonus disk(s)?

cluless

I'd agree for the most part. It is mostly self congradulatory.

One that I liked was the director's additions to L.A. Confidential. I had read the orginal, very complex novel.

It was entertaining to catch some glimpses of how difficult it is to convert a novel into a two hour movie. Also, it looks like the producer got a bit part.

One thing which I wonder about is how many versions of a given movie is out there. It is difficult to make comparisons from memory of viewings. For example, in Lethal Weapon, I thought there were some alternate cuts comparing the theater and the VHS. I don't know what is on the DVD. The cable TV version has more editing to make it more family oriented.

OTOH, there was an extended version of Amadeus in the theaters which had more scenes. My first impression was that they were correctly cut out because they muddied the pace. I thought the original bogged down or was awkward in spots. A real fan might appreciate them in a careful study of the story though. And they might be fun if you advance through the chapters.

So, I'll take a chance on the expanded versions. The problem is that some are funky and others are clunky. Ya never know.

Gil

Sometimes...it all depends on the movie. Some films like Harry Potter have interesting features; also Pearl Harbor, U-571, Matrix...anything with great special effects in it! Usually I won't bother watching the bonus material for comedies...It just depends on the flick and how I feel at that moment.

• 1 month later...

I always watch the deleted scene option if it is available, I sometimes watch the about the movie bit, if I want to see some more of the actress (thank you Freud).

I had to reply at this late date on account that I just watched the extra bit with 12 monkeys, and found it fascinating!

It could be clyouless, that the extras on dvd are a feature you have to grow into, when you are 8 or 9 you may think what the hay, if it is on here, I may as well watch it, and if I dont like it, turn it off.

Speaking of turning it off, it is like that guy who wanted to post about bodily hair, I myself didnt get too far into that paragraph before, like anything I read and dont like, and I skip it!

Clu-

I'm with you here on this one. If there are some extras on the same disc (deleted scenes, etc), we'll watch, but certainly not sit through the entire movie again with the director's commentary, etc. If there are more discs, then rarely do I go for those.

I'd rather the studios make the best DVD out there with DTS sound and great picture and then relegate all the extras to another disc that I watch later (never), or release just the best DVD of the movie itself. I am interested in how the Superbit movies compare to original DVDs. I have Das Boot Director's Cut, and just found the Superbit transfer at Costco, so I need to sit down and do a bit of comparison between the two. Maybe Superbit will catch on!