We told you so!!!!!!!!

dodger

Hello:

Went to local Performing Arts last night. Ran into friends we've known since their 2nd date.

He was in the market for new speakers. Sent him to my local Klipsch Reference Dealer. He was all set to buy the new RF75s and matching center.

Wife comes into store after work, sees what he's going to buy and cost. She gets "irritated" says you A$$hole, you can get the same thing at Best Buy.

Dealer has no chance to describe differences - she said - "WE'RE LEAVING this highway robber and they leave to go to Best Buy and they bought their speakers there.

I had no input with her temper. They also bought entry level Kenwood Receiver. Together they make over 100 grand after taxes. Reference sits, Best Buy hits. 12.gif

"a representation of a thing can never be the thing itself"

What idiot came up with that one? I guess if it's in the context of comparing live music to recorded music then I suppose it's true.

What would one call a visual or tangible rendering of something intangible?

Rick Gardner, a writer / reviewer for Positive Feedback and occationally other magazines.

Here is the whole quote:

"From my first radio to my current system, most of my life I have been searching for reproduced music that sounds like what I have in my head. Quite the opposite of seeking the "absolute sound," I have long recognized (at least since my Perceptual Psychology course in college) that any sensory based process is based on transduction (converting one type of energy to another). There is no such thing as isomorphic transduction . . . there is always deletion and distortion in any sensory process. Regardless of technology, the "absolute sound" is and will remain ephemera; a representation of a thing can never be the thing itself. Recorded music is exactly that, recorded music."

That was from a review of a Balanced Audio Technology amp/preamp. Just thought you'd like to know...

Ray

Thanks Ray.

Hi Tom -- well, you're close:

"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word..."

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation."

----------------

On 6/12/2003 12:01:28 PM DeanG wrote:

Thanks Ray.

Hi Tom -- well, you're close:

"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word..."

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation."

----------------

In my non-dogmatic opinion, that describes each and every one of us. Filter out the last 4000+ years of politics, self-interest, and "sacred" texts written by politicians and that's what's left.

----------------

On 6/12/2003 1:40:13 PM DeanG wrote:

Which texts? What politicians?

----------------

Texts like The Bible (Old & New),and the Koran.

They were written by humans with their own agendas for control and power. They were a product of the specific political and sociological climate at the time of their production.

The politicians were the religious leaders who wrote them and interpreted them over the ensuing millenia.

Please don't get offended here. I'm not implying that there is no truth to any specific religion or dogma. In fact, I'm saying the opposite, that there is much truth to most organized religion in the world, but it is at best a dilution, and at worst a perversion of the ultimate truth.

We are ALL the sons and daughters of God.

Two replies:

1. She is an Investigator (Detective) with one of our Suburban PDs.

2. I agree that we are all children of a higher Being. Whether it be Allah, God, Jesus, or room for non-believers. Non-believers still look to a higher sense - their brain.

No matter what we call ourselves, or what we belive or dis-believe we are all here for the long haul. A number of instances on this Forum - Dean, all who have answered questions or have made contact with me regarding my knee surgery (may have 1 more - yippee!!) prove that there is a force that is within us. For the most part, we use that force for good, we may stumble and fall - we are only as pertfect as our faults. My point? We only need to ask each other and we usually get MORE than one helpful response. That is living TOGETHER.