'The Girl From Ipanema'

Tony Boone

Was downloading mp3s earlier and got a copy of 'The Girl From Ipanema' as recorded by Gal Costa, Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto & Antonio Carlos Jobim.

This song even at 320kb mp3 makes these La Scalas sing! (Or is it the La Scalas that make the song sing?)

Anyway I am actually able to hear the singers breathe and hear the breathy sax work of Getz. If you don't have this tune it's worth the effort to get.

If you all know of any like material I'd be interested in any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tony B.

I have that on CD, but haven't listened to it in years. Will have to drag it out and dust it off now.

I saw a show on TV that interviewed Getz and Gilberto about that song. They also interviewed the girl, woman now who inspired it. She is still a looker.

----------------

On 6/12/2003 11:33:09 PM jtkinney wrote:

I have that on CD, but haven't listened to it in years. Will have to drag it out and dust it off now.

----------------

Would you let me know the title of this particular cd? I'd like to buy that one.

Didn't know it was a girl singing on that song. Sounds like a grown woman to me.

Thanks,

Tony B.

I just downloaded this song. the one I got was 192 kbs, but I can hear what you're describing with my Sennheiser HD-600's3.gif . it's to late right now to start crankin the klipsch. Actually, I performed this song not incredibly long ago. I now feel compeled to dig out the music for it again

9.gif

Getz/Gilberto, Verve Records. One of the five best-selling jazz LPs of all time for sure. Not Stan Getz' finest hour in my opinion, but still a KILLER record. This is the LP that allowed Stan Getz to do what HE wanted to do for the rest of his life and that's probably the best thing about it . . .

If you like Stan Getz, check out the following:

Stan Getz live at Storyville (Roost)

Stan Getz Plays (Norgran/Verve)

West Coast Jazz (Norgran/Verve)

The Steamer (Verve)

Focus (Verve)

These are five EVERY jazz collection should have.

Tony,

The Getz/Gilberto album is the one. The reason being that you get a whole album's worth of the cool, laid-back sound but without the Top-40 familiarity. Those are the ones that keep the album fresh. I sometimes start on track two.

John

Hey Allan,

Is there any truth to the story that the female vocalist (Astrud Gilberto) on "Girl From Ipanema" had never performed anywhere outside her own home before this? If so, wow! This record is my wife's favorite. Right up there with Willie Nelson's "Stardust".

Chris

allan, I tend to think of it as one of getz's great moments on tape. the fact that he loved that music so much that he tried to vary his playing to "get into it" is what makes it special to me, his contribution is what raised that album above all the other brazilian music albums pbulished and flooding the USA in those years, IMHO. another getz "makeover" can be found on the stan getz/oscar peterson album, again where I like his twist on his "normal" playing, though some say that was his normal playing. Getz was a romantic and I loved his contributions in that genre. Gezt/Gilberto is a must have album, especially if one likes "the girl..." regards, tony

I have always included "Getz/Gilberto" in my top 100 jazz LPs of all time. It's brilliant. But as far as Stan's soloing goes, I'll take the sessions with Jimmy Raney on guitar (Live at Storyville, Stan Getz Plays) or perhaps the "West Coast" sessions (West Coast Jazz, The Steamer, Award Winner). But as far as which "album" is best? Getz/Gilberto for sure,

I bought a 4 disc CD that has that song on it based solely from a strong recommendation from someone on this forum a few years back. I don't have it with me right now and can't remember the name of it, but it is a 4 disc set if that helps. It is a great recording. It's amazing that this music was recorded back in the 60's and sounds so good.

I recently picked up the soundtrack from the movie "Woman on Top". This soundtrack has some wonderful Brazilian music and I can highly recommend it.

----------------

On 6/12/2003 11:10:47 PM Tony Boone wrote:

Was downloading mp3s earlier and got a copy of 'The Girl From Ipanema' as recorded by Gal Costa, Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto & Antonio Carlos Jobim.

This song even at 320kb mp3 makes these La Scalas sing! (Or is it the La Scalas that make the song sing?)

Anyway I am actually able to hear the singers breathe and hear the breathy sax work of Getz. If you don't have this tune it's worth the effort to get.

If you all know of any like material I'd be interested in any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tony B.
----------------

Tony B.

I'd like to check it out and was wondering the internet source for the MP3's.

Thanks.

Dee

----------------

On 6/14/2003 7:40:18 AM DaddyDee wrote:

I'd like to check it out and was wondering the internet source for the MP3's.

----------------

I use the following programs:

WinMX ----> www.winmx.com

Kazaa Lite ----> www.kazaalite.tk

Neither of these programs installs spyware or like programs during their installation.

Tony B.