just received TDSOTM!

prodj101

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but it was great from what I heard. incredible sound quality (sacd version). the imaging is very precise and the speakers seem to disapeer with this sacd. even if you don't like the music, it is worth it just to see what your system is capable of. by the way, I am using RF-5's, an RSW-15, mcintosh mc-2105 power amp, B&K pt-3 pre amp, and a sony NS-9000V.I'll give a more detailed impression once I listen to the whole thing through.

If I had a SACD player, I'd pick up a copy of this... just finished watching my Roger Waters Live in the Flesh DVD a couple hours ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 1.gif (never heard most of the songs on there- they are... interesting... but good.)

Sound and Vision has two pieces about this in the recent issue. One is an interview of Allen Parsons, who did the quad mix, and the original. The other is an interview of the long standing engineer for PF. Interesting reading.

I'll have to poke around and see if the Parson's Quad mix is available in any form readable by modern equipment. In any event, the original tracks from which both these derive are a credit to his skills.

Gil

I must say the CD layer deffinatly isn't as clear as the SACD layer. I compared the 2, and it is very noticeable. the Senn HD-600's can't even make the CD layer close to the RF-5 set up, and they're supposed to be some of the best headphones in town.

The 600s are the best headphones for the money IF and only IF you have great to the best quality components before them. ie media, decoders, amps, etc. 2.gif They don't do so well making crappy things sound good. Crappy things sound crappy. Good things sound good. Superb things sound superb. 9.gif

D@mn.... I would have loved to here the multi-channel mix of the Dark Side, but it's only on SACD... for now. Even though I didn't really buy my DVD player for the compatibility, DVDA selection has been very lack-lustre.

Rob

I recently bought the vinyl version of the latest DSOTM reissue. The sound quality is fabulous. It is dead quiet with very precise imaging and soundstage. At the same time, one thought kept bugging me. The whole album just didn't do it for me like it did so many years ago. Don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable. Maybe it was the lack of herbal enhancement. It even seemed a little on the lightweight side. It's possible that listening to it in multi-channel might improve the experience, but I'm not sure. About 4-5 years ago I bought a few DTS music DVD's. Listening to The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" and Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits in 5.1 was weird. With voices in front of you, a guitar over your left shoulder and a tambourine over your right, things just didn't sound right. A think there was a reason "Quadraphonic" sound never caught on years ago.

Chris

PS Speaking of herbal enhancement, has anyone tried the DSOTM/Wizard of OZ synergy thing? I've heard it's pretty freaky.

Chris,

There have been debates all along about whether or not you should be in the middle of all the instruments/band/voices, or just in front of them with the rear just providing great ambience. personally, I would just rather be just in front of the stage.

Watching movies would be different. Of course my 13 inch tv isn't really calling for surround too much. 9.gif

Marvel

i am really happy w/pfdsotmsacd. i have about 7 sacd's, only 2 or 3 are multi ch., the rest are stereo. REALLY makes me appreciate the klf-30's-you really need full-size floor standers to appreciate the stereo sacd's. i am having VERY low sub signal output on the multi ch. sacd's, but dsotm seems to be better in the '.1' area than some others.

the track 'great gig in the sky'w/the female vocalist is a great example of sacd's clarity. i FINALLY understand what she says in almost a whisper that i never could make out in stereo. about half-way thru the song, out of the left rear ch. she whispers: 'i never said i wasn't afraid of dying'...

avman.

Hasn't anyone heard the obscure sounds at the end of the DSOTM? It is quite apparent on both the MSFL gold CD's & on the SACD version. I'll give you a hint. The 'noises' are different on the SACD vs. MSFL. They used different master tapes for the remastering. Lets see who gets it right. 2.gif

Chris, the DSOTM and Wizard of Oz together is absolutely eerie. I get goose bumps every time I play it. Do a google search for DSOTM-Wizard of OZ and you'll find tons of Information on all the references etc. Some cd players track faster after pushing play so you might have to experiment a little. If you push play and then immediately hit pause it's best to start right after the third mgm's lions roar. Or you can just hit play immediately before the third lions roar if you don't pause it first. When you get it right you'll definitely know it....GOOD LUCK

"PS Speaking of herbal enhancement, has anyone tried the DSOTM/Wizard of OZ synergy thing? I've heard it's pretty freaky."

When I first heard about this, I thought to myself, "Yeah, riiiiiight". After about ten times hearing about this, I decided to watch.

I'll just say it is REALLY freaky. The transitions between scenes and the relationship of the DSOTM words with the movie picture are beyond belief.....and no herbal enhancement is necessary to "get it". By the time you get to "The Great Gig in the Sky", you will become convinced that there is more at work here than just coincidence. I cannot prove that there is more than coincidence at work here, but you will become convinced, just the same.

The more you know both of the works in question, the more you will benefit from the simultaneous viewing/listening synergy.