Veneering Heresy's, what do you think of this?

That is lovely looking veneer but I suggest that you buy only enough to cover a small practice item such as 2' X 2' pieces of plywood or MDF joined at a 90 degree corner and attempt to veneer that. If you find that you can handle the task then by all means do so.

There is bound to be a wealth of information on the net regarding applying veneers and a little research will be helpful but bear in mind that applying veneers is NOT as easy some would lead you to believe.

That is why I suggest that you do some practice pieces before attempting a larger job.

Go for some exotic veneer. Why recoat something to look like new old stock? You may want to consider new cabinets and hold your originals if you ever want to return to original condition. Invest in something unique if you have the opportunity. Try a print wrap where you can make a collage of period bands/musicians on your computer and have it printed on adhesive-backed vinyl material to stick on your enclosures. You can even print on some fiber materials to make new grills. Just thoughts.

I love it myself Justin. Every stick of furniture in my house is cherry, with the exception of a piece or two of mahogany. As far as I'm concerned, the job should be a piece of cake. Care to disclose the supplier? Good luck with the project.

Keith

I think it looks good, too. Klipschfoot's idea of building new cabinets has appeal, too. If your friend is good with veneers, then it should turn out great. BUT, if he, or someone you know is good with marquetry, then just imagine how absolutely cool it would be to have something like the Klipsch logo in contrasting wood grain! I may just have to learn that technique...

fini

not a fan of zebra wood, except when it has a really really rich, deep, dark, clean stain/finish on it.

hmmm... how about having KLIPSCH marqueted, into the wood?... that sounds great! I do know a guy who does an amazing job with this... but getting him to do it, and the cost would be astromonical... but how cool would that be!

Justin,

Makore is nice. I prefer something with a more pronouced pattern. But before you decide, why not get a veneer sample set from Constantines? That way you can check out the color and pattern of many different types of veneer. May or may not have the exact veneers you are considering, but will give you a good idea of your options.

BTW if buying from Constantines, you do not need the Monarch grade for Heresys. The only difference between standard and Monarch grades is that Monarch is available in longer lengths. This can be important when veneering an entire wall or a long piece of furniture, but is a waste of money for something as small as your speakers.

There are cheaper places to get veneer, even eBay. But you will get first quality veneer from Constantines. Considering the small total surface area of your speakers, you won't save a lot buying elsewhere. You might check out eBay just to see pictures of other veneers. FWIW one advantage of buying on eBay is you can see what you are getting. For me, that is very important, because I consider the pattern very important. Buying from Constantines and the like you get what they send you.

----------------

On 7/1/2003 11:13:34 AM justin_tx_16 wrote:

not a fan of zebra wood, except when it has a really really rich, deep, dark, clean stain/finish on it.

----------------

Justin,

You'd like it if you saw my corns in person. Zebrawood's not for everyone though.1.gif

DSCN25741.jpg

That does look great! I kind of want a darker, redder color to mine, but that is so nice looking!

I love the 3D image you made, that is just beautiful!

Oh, and take a picture of that giraffe on the left of the cornwall and email it to me will ya? i want to give Clu a present.... 2.gif