preamps

AnalOg

O.k. all, I need to be convinced that I don't need a new preamp to take me to the next level of audio euphoria.

Seriously, I've been eyeballing some pre's, I keep asking myself is it worth or how much upgrading would I need to do to make a change, noticeable to justify the cost. Then on the other hand is what I have as good as it gets and any extra funds spent at this point is a factor of demishing returns.

Can I be enlightened on what to expect & not to expect with upgrading. Input is appreciated, no pun intended.

Thankx,

Tom

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triode Pete,

The Foreplay has all the mods down to the magnet wire. I even put DC on the filaments, it's very quiet. Turntable is the Rega Planar w/RB300, ortofon 30, Espresso Heavyweight. The phono stage consists of a Anthem Pre1P. The system as it stands is very musical & detailed at the same time. That is why I keep having reservations about upgrading the pre. It all goes back to will it give me bang for the buck type results, and does it get better than this?

Tom

For my own part I've been tickled with the AVA Transcendence 7.

Frank Van Alstine considers preampst to be the most important part of the stereo; his preamps are designed to properly couple sources to power amps, and from what I can tell, does this job well.

There is an increase in microdynamics with the T7, oddly clearer that w/o a preamp. More definition, I suppose.

Also has a headphone output though I don't have headphones.

And a good phono stage.

Tom,

That's an interesting question, what expense to go to the next level. One question I have about preamps is when used inbetween a cd player with a signal strong enough to drive a power amp on it's own, is there anything it can really do to improve upon the source signal? Playing vinyl would be seemingly a quite different question.

Regards,

Dee

----------------

On 7/4/2003 9:14:13 AM fini wrote:

Mark,

Just curious: What's your opinion of the Mac MX110, particularly paired with an MC240?

fini

----------------

I've been asking that question myself lately. Seems that they are paired together frequently and it would give me another option other than the C-20 or 22. They seem to be a little more attainable also.

Don't you have some LaScala's on the way?

Looks like you sold the Paramours.

The only people qualified to really give you an opinion about the preamp thing are people who have heard the Foreplay in comparison to something else. You might try a search at the Asylum to see if such comparisons exist. Someone like Mark Deneen could render an opinion of some sort if you shared something about what's in the thing.

I usually have as much or more tied up into my preamp than my amp(s). My last three preamps were all bought used in the $800 - $1000 neighborhood -- and all three retailed for $1500 - $2400. I believe it's the single most important component in a system besides speakers. It will account more towards the tonal signature of the system than the amp.

Right now however, the weakest link in your chain are the RF-3's (which is saying quite a bit about the quality of your system, as the RF-3 is a great sounding speaker).

Dean,

Thankx for the input, much appreciated. I think I'll mozey (is that how you spell that word) on over to the audio asylum and see if theres any archived info on the subject. The La Scala's are being picked up today, down town. I'm relly anxious to see what all the fuss is about, hope I won't be disappointed. The RF3II's seem to do everything right in my system, I think it's a tough act to follow. If anything, the one thing I'm anticipating is a bigger sound, beyond that, I'm not setting my sights to far ahead.1.gif

Tom

I think once your ears wake up and hear the music with your new lascala's you will be kicking the RF-3's to the curb 2.gif . I do caution you to be ready for a entirely in your chest wide open detailed sound. Every flaw that maybe present in your system is going to be in your face ! Do not blame this on the speakers !! They are a full 6 dB more efficient and a True Horn speaker system not that wanna be tweeter 2.gif I bet old Deano loves this post !

Craig

Tom, good luck with your new La Scala purchase...Heritage horns are a unique sound all to themselves, and I don't think you'll be disappointed one single bit (and if you are, you can send 'em to me9.gif)!

My opinion is I think you already have a wonderful preamp, but it's entirely up to you whether you feel the need to upgrade. When I had several other sources, plus I needed a decent phono stage, I purchased an inexpensive AMC CVT-1030s vacuum tube preamp...tubes opened up a whole new sonic world to me (but I had design/quality control issues with it, even though it sounded incredible).

Now that all I have for a source is a decent CD player, I don't miss not having a preamp at all. Of course I'd love to purchase a class A CD player with a tube output (JoLida, Shanling, Ajoe Tjoeb, etc.), but that will have to wait. I do miss the niceties of not having a balance control, mono switch, or a mute button, but I can live without them for the pure, straightforward setup I've got now, and sonically, it sounds fabulous!

Good luck with the future preamp purchase...hope you find what you're looking for.

That doesn't have anything to do with it. Whatever it is he's listening to, it's not right -- if it was, he wouldn't be trying to fix it with different crossovers (as opposed to what I did with my 7's by only upgrading parts quality), selling amps, thinking about a new preamp, etc.

I stand by my prediction.