Cleaning RCA jacks

fini

Would De-ox-it be the product to use on these extremely oxidized RCA jacks on my Mac 1900? Otherwise, the receiver is pretty clean. Is De-ox-it abrasive (it would be impossible to keep it off the painted chassis)? How do others clean these?

mac_rcas.jpg

fini

Fini, yes Caig's DeOxit or ProGold will certainly help! With those it may require a couple of treatments. It is a liquid that is applied and is non-abrasive. I don't think it will work miracles but if you work it with a Q-tip it should aid in the removal of the oxidation. Use the concentrated stuff in the vials not the stuff thats cut in the spray cans. Be prepared though the stuff is not cheap! I use it on my RCA interconnects and the connectors on my components as well to keep them oxidation free.

341-220m.jpg

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=14268489&St=4829&St2=-76231002&St3=-58341981&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=10007&DID=7

A little goes a long way. The price isn't bad when you consider it will probably last almost forever.

DeoxIT will probably remove most of that with a few treatments. It helps to let it sit on the surface for a few minutes before you start wiping. I use an old cotton t-shirt and pinch around the RCA with my fingers.

If it's really, really bad -- and you can't get it all off, you can use some 0000 steel wool. Just make sure you vacuum out the RCAs really good when you are done.

Progold is basically the same, but designed for high temperature applications -- like tube sockets.

----------------

On 8/6/2003 12:03:35 PM DeanG wrote:

...does anyone have any suggestions regarding the best way to clean tube sockets?

----------------

I use brushes from from old Hair Clipper Kits. They're about 1" on one end and an 1/8" on the other. Bristles on the long end reach deep into the sockets and those on the short end are stiff for vigorously cleaning component surfaces. Good for cleaning tube pins too. After through cleaning and blowing with compressed air, I leave the item(s) upside down to drain and dry on newspaper overnight. You will not win points for the smell.

I guess the one that looks like nail polish is just for applying the cleaner. I'll have to order one of those brushes although I probably have something similiar lying around the house somewhere. Looks like the mascara brush my wife uses (no comments please Fini).13.gif

I'm glad I found this one, as the RCA jacks on my 299B are a bit corroded, but not as bad as poor Fini. I also see some stuff on the inside of the RCA connectors. Would someone use the DeoxIT there with the brushes? How would you clean out the residue? I don't have an air compressor, so would it be best to leave them alone?

Also, is it really necessary to use both the DeoxIT and the ProGold, or can I get by with only one? As I mentioned, my RCA connectors aren't too bad, just some minor scuzz. Reading the PDF on both sounds like the ProGold actually bonds with the metal, whereas DeoxIT is just a cleaner. The PDF states, "As a general rule, use ProGold for best performance and protection for treating plated surfaces and base metals and DeoxIT as a general purpose treatment." I suppose I could get a small bottle of both and call it good. Anyone know the difference between ProGold part 341-235 and 341-228, G100L vs GX100L?

Thoughts?

Hello Fini. I miss trading barbs back and forth, although Audrey and I tried to make up for it while negotiating Italian back roads.

One thing I might add after glancing at that shot, you will get a serious increase in love, sonics, and World Peace if you elect to ditch those steel U-Bolt connectors from pre out to main in stage. Those beasts are notoriously bad for the signal transfer, in all ways. It pays to construct some mini-interconnects of your preferred wire, whatever floats your boat, or buy some .5 meter IC of your fav choice. Regardless, I can assure you it will be a bit better than those hunks of corroded steel, something I had to do away with in a variety of old integrateds, especially the various NADs of yore, where they were used right and left. If anyone is so inflicted, I would advise taking a similar leap of faith.

kh

ps, for the inside of the connector I use a qtip that has had the cotton torn off. For example a qtip that you've already used to clean something else with deoxit. The few strands of cotton that remain will usually do the trick. And they're clean, which might not be true for the outside of the qtip.