Is this indugence or...

lovemyhorns

Hard to imagine an image with that configuration. Those horns appear to be firing right down the wall.

Just doesn't look right.

Room is ugly, too. And someone should explaing the "angle of incidence" thing to him about the flash.

Probably doesn't get any girls, either.

OK, so I wish I were that rich...

Dave

Bad link Rob, I couldn't get to it.

As far as the other system goes -- I think it's pretty cool. He obviously put a lot of work into it. Man, don't you guys have any sense of culture? He lives in Paris -- not Alabama. What do you expect his listening room to look like?9.gif

After looking at systems like the ones discussed in this thread, my first reaction is wonder about all the music I "must be missing, because I've not spent tens of thousands of dollars on my audio hobby."

The reality of my situation is that my wife and I are on a single income (and I don't make a mint either!), with a daughter who has special needs. So, obviously my resources are a bit limited.

However, then I take a deep breath, relax, and think about the thought and planning that went into getting the most out of the components I do have. I'm pleased that I've been able to build a nice HT system. My wife and I aren't able to get out a whole lot, so waiting for movies to come out on DVD and having special movie nights at home can make for a nice diversion.

I've also, based on some buzz generated in this forum, pieced together a nice 2 channel system (featuring a pair of KG-4's that I garbage-picked: the passive radiators needed some minor repair) and pulled the vinyl out of storage. Its also turned into a cheap way to built a music library, as vintage vinyl can come at a price far less than a comparable CD (other than the occasional new release).

Getting the most out of our systems, while enjoying the music, is a common theme here in this forum, which is why I enjoy reading many of your posts so much!!

You actually have a pretty nice setup.

One advantage for most of us is our small to average size rooms. We are somewhat 'forced' into a near field listening mode -- which really has some advantages over the big room/monster speaker deal.

I have dreams of this sort of set up. I haven't yet determined if they are pleasant or nightmares. I wake up all sweaty and fearful that my room and equipment is causing a .057db hump in response at 972.2346 hz and I must fix it before my listening experience is ruined.

A unwillingness to compliment with a non-horn loaded sub is bordering on obsession (like he hasn't already crossed the line). It is folks like this that discover issues that make our decisions a little better informed, but probably makes their life a little less casual.

Cool stuff...

Hi,

Since you are talking about it, this French Audiophile's Profile Page (included in the A.C.A. pages), has just been updated a couple of hours ago!!! (click http://aca.gr/pop_jyk.htm or the picture below, to go there...)

31773619.jpg

Some may agree, some may disagree with this digital - horns match, but nobody can deny that this is an impressive system - room to look at...

Enjoy

Interestingly (or boringly), when I think about my "next listening room", I think of a large room (35 x 20 or so), no windows, soft sconces washing the walls with just a little warm light, a wide low table front and center with a modest array of glowing tubes ... and perfect waves of sonic bliss filling the room. The mind is in another place, enjoying the musical experience.

In other words, visual details are minimal and there are few distractions from the music.

I look at the picture above, and while entertaining and interesting, the hardest thing for me personally would be to block out the visual and focus on the aural.

Just my $0.02.

Jean-Yves had his 6...count 'em, 6 Cary CAD-1610-SE's (msrp $40,000 a pair) for sale on Audiogon not long ago. I belive he was asking about 60 boxes of Ziti for all of them. Me?, I'd rather buy 6 NOS Valves 299's and spend the extra $120,000 on my birthday at the Spearmint Rhino. Heck, I'd even bring Craig along with me.

Chris

Edster,

You ever been to the ASF? Our family has gone down for a weekend a couple of times. Take in two or three different plays. Nice productions, and the cost isn't too high for what you get.

Marvel

Marvel,

I have never been to a production at the ASF, although I would like to.

The photo was taken right after the ASF opened, I was there organizing a balloon rally to raise money for a charity that supports abused children. I am on the left in the basket, the gentleman on the right is an ASF "big wig". It's been a long time now, but he either donated the land the ASF was built on, or he was otherwise instrumental in creating/building the ASF. I decided to do a "splash n' dash" when we launched from the grassy area around the lake.