It's a Grand Illusion

Deang

Excellent post Dean! I have a long time friend who also has a son who is friend to my son. My friend bought a Bose and seemed to like it. His son has been over to our house fairly often lately, and I have often asked him for impressions when doing A/B tests to see if his younger ears hear something. He absolutely hates his dad's Bose system and said that the KHorns, KG4s and SF2s he heard here all sound better. He actually says because his dad spen over a grand on the Bose, he has to claim to like it, but suspects that his dad is not liking the Bose as much lately. I always tell him there are many different people with differing tastes in music and how it should sound. He needs to hear what he likes and go for that. Well, seems he does like Klipsch...another convert 9.gif .

It's fun...where else can I post a proper bias question and have it rave on for months? (It's still being discussed on the Scott forum!) But that is how we without the trainig learn from those with the knowledge. That bias thread there has gotten some experiments going. Bottom line is, I have now re-biased my 222D in a way I would not have done if the debate had not produced input from those more knowledgable than myself.

DR Bruce Edgar (who showed the famous Edgarhorns) has a big system that was pretty good, but I will still keep my Klipschorns thank you. And his other stuff.... Not even close

Now see, I have heard his Edgarhorns in his room and must say I WAS impressed...but I would like to do an A/B with the KHorns, in the same room. Does that mean you're right, I'm wrong? Or I'm right, you're wrong? No, just a possible difference in the rooms, and/or our tastes. We should be able to state what sounds good to us and not get into WWIII over it, and that is possible on this forum. Now politics....9.gif

"... we learned a lot about how to construct and built a speakercabinet similar to a musical instrument...we preferably use Sitca spruce "tonewood"; the same wood as used for classical guitars and violins -- The front- and side panels are only a few millimeters thick and inside our cabinet is no damping material at all."

Warning, warning Will Robinson!

9.gif

----------------

On 8/20/2003 12:32:43 PM DeanG wrote:

"... we learned a lot about how to construct and built a speakercabinet similar to a musical instrument...
we preferably use Sitca spruce "tonewood"; the same wood as used for classical guitars and violins -- The front- and side panels are only a few millimeters thick and inside our cabinet is no damping material at all."

Warning, warning Will Robinson!

9.gif

----------------

A totally different design school to say the least.

Les Lammers seems to like them. Les used to post here quite a bit back when I first joined the forum -- and this guy knows what works and what doesn't. These things must be pretty impressive.

Les' mini review:

I set the speakers up about 2 hours ago and although they are new, as is the PHY speaker wire, they sound very good. The timbre and tone of instruments is excellent.

These are going to be 'you are there' speakers. Vocals have an uncanny realism. Music has 'texture'. No bass augmentation is necessary, the bottom end is 'right'. It's time to play them until everything 'settles in'.

The woodwork exceeded my expectations and the crate Hans used was built to survive the real world. Every aspect of dealing with him was pleasurable and first rate.. He knows what he is doing and appears to revel in making speakers and spreading the joy and fun of music

The bass is actually much more realistic than with my tweaked La Scalas and REL sub. They are amazing speakers and cannot, thankfully be found in any 'Audio Salon'. The drivers have a lifetime warranty and Hans is a PHY dealer in the Netherlands.

My sister heard mine about two weeks ago. She thinks I am crazy regarding audio. These speakers made her cry. No kidding. She is as tight as a drum and is planning on buying a pair. She thought they were 'pretty' too. Just try to get a female to say that about speakers. Yeah, there are exceptions.

VERY similar to those Lumen White Whiteflame speakers, in shape and the fact that they have NO internal damping. In a time where herculean efforts are being made to reduce cabinet resonances (look at those Rockport monsters!) it seems heresy to build a cabinet that will most certainly resonate...but who knows, they must voice the cabinet like they do an instrument...I will wait to hear what cut throat thinks of the results. he must of heard some incredible recommendations from people he really trusts to go sight unseen and sound unheard into this purchase! regards, tony

Interesting comments. I used to share quite a lot of email with Les - get him to tell you about his time in a submarine for chuckles...

Anyway, speaker as musical instrument aspect is something I always have believed to an extent, especially with something like the horns. I actually think over damping speakers DESTROYS some of the positive properties, but am in the minority here, especially in this forum where people are damping everything from drivers to frams to boxes etc. It is best used with extreme care in my opinion. While helping at ultimate volume and with some clarity issues, it also has a tendency to rob them of life, this when handled without care. Obvisously, these guys take this to the extreme with a lot going into to TYPE of wood and design of the cabinet, treating it as a musical instrument. In the hands of a Neanderthal, those beasts would be loaded with putty, rope caulk, and 2x4 bracing! heh...

On another note involving the idea of TEARS from listeners, one of the most amazing things I remember was a listening session in 1990 or so with my girlfriend to a pair of original Cary 300se monoblocks with the additional bank of PS caps in a sep chassis. The lights were down, and we listened to a selection in stock silence... the guy in the room hit the lights and I looked over at Aimee and she had tears streaming down her face...as did I. That one session actually changed my view of amplification forever and I'll never forget it.

kh

On another note involving the idea of TEARS from listeners, one of the most amazing things I remember was a listening session in 1990 or so with my girlfriend to a pair of original Cary 300se monoblocks with the additional bank of PS caps in a sep chassis. The lights were down, and we listened to a selection in stock silence... the guy in the room hit the lights and I looked over at Aimee and she had tears streaming down her face...as did I. That one session actually changed my view of amplification forever and I'll never forget it.

Was it the music or sound? I know a really good piece will evoke an equally strong emotion in me, and perhaps more so when it's reproduced well, but ultimately it's the music...Unfortunately, my wife's tastes in music are much different from mine, so I doubt we could ever share a moment like that. Actually, some of her music would drive me to tears, but a not the same way 9.gif .

You SET guys are WAY too much in touch with your feminine side. It's good if the fuzz on the back of my neck stands up a little. If I ever cry during a listening session -- I'm selling everything and buying more firearms.9.gif

There is a difference between damping and bracing. I want to brace so energy isn't lost through the cabinet. I want the energy eminating through the driver -- not the cabinet. I want to damp so mechanical resonances don't add to the signature -- especially in the case of Liberty Bell Heritage lenses. With damping, I think a little is good, and too much is bad.

Speakers reproduce the sound of musical instruments -- they are not musical instruments in and of themselves. Of course, if the whole box is singing like a choir I guess it is. With no crossover to adjust for anomolies -- I don't know what to make of the idea.

Guitars, violins, cellos, etc., use the 'box' as a resonating chamber that acts more as an amplifier for the notes more than anything else.

It's like everything else -- you just have to listen to it and see.

As for the music in this listening session, it was a variety of things, from stuff I love like Sonny Rollins and Billie Holiday, to stuff that leaves me feeling relatively nauseous like an audiophile version of a Barbershop Quartet, on to things in between like the first Mazzy Star album and the ever-present Cowboy Junkies first record. The thing about that system, I was listening to music that I didnt even LIKE and it moved me! What were we crying to? As I remember, it might even have been that barbershop Quartet!!!! All I know is that I was floored by the lack of mechanical sound...and the emotion coming through. It was a revelation. I had heard high dollar rigs but this was the first time I had heard anything like THIS.

Regarding speakers, Dean, it's really relative and a lot has to do with the construction of the cabinet as well as the surrounding system/room/music. I used to come more from your corner with conventional thought on the matter. And I do find it necessary to have a rigid cabinet most of the time. It is the "DAMPENING" that can get out of hand, in my view as I have seen an overdamped cabinet have the life sucked out of the presentation. As stated, it's relative. I think it's an art and depends on the design. I surely have had massive speaker stands that are heavily damped with spikes to the floor. This with all my monitors. On the other hand, I didnt like spikes with the CW, at least in my system. I actually took them OFF (I had gone to great pains to make them work) and ended up with WINE CORKS believe it or not. As for bracing, I do believe that some bracing on the CW to the rear cover would be a good thing. In my system, however, I have not found the horn dampening necessary or even called for. I realize, once again, that this is a minority opinion on here although I share this view with a few others.

I really do think it better to actually think of the speaker as a musical instrument whose resonances can actually be TUNED to better produce music. There is an art to this. Too much and you have sucked the life from the cabinet. I think part of the reproduction is some of these resonances, which is why I seem to prefer the plywood cabinets over MDF as well. There is a lot going on here and blanket statement just dont apply, one way or another.

kh

You need only ONE system. If you feel you need more than one system to accommodate multiple musical genre, then there is definitely something awry which needs further attention.

Ive said this before. And Ill say it again. A lot of folks are barking up the wrong tree. You can change all the components you want. You can have all the systems you want. But if you dont optimize the very component that all the other components must work into, the one that provides the link for the sound to reach your ears, youre never going to really hear, or know, what any of those components, or recordings, really sound like.

Not sure I agree with your logic in the first part of the post, especially if you are in love with the sound of SET amplification. See what you are aiming at, however.

Where I DO agree to a certain extent is the SECOND part of your post where you talk about the importance of the listening room, something that is overlooked again and again as the optimization can bring everything up a notch or even more. I have been lucky to have had ONE room that was extremely good, even without much additional mods. Most people have to deal with where they can put their gear but getting your room optimized to it's potential brings a HUGE gain. I do think there are certain compromises that can be made and almost ALL room have imperfections. Still, it is amazing how little people put into even the setup of the system IN THEIR IMPERFECT room.

A great room can make even more mediocre components sounds VERY good.

kh

You SET guys are WAY too much in touch with your feminine side. It's good if the fuzz on the back of my neck stands up a little. If I ever cry during a listening session -- I'm selling everything and buying more firearms.9.gif

I almost choked on my glass of Ice Tea when I read that !! My wife ran in here to pat me on the back. Dean you are a card !

Craig