Silverthreading?

hypo

Hello all Klipsch-fans!

Im about to buy an entire all-new klipsch system with RF-35 in fronts.

My dealer insist on me letting him rethread the speakers with silverthread instead of the original MonsterCable before the delivery. He says the speakers need this awesome silverthread for the components to come to their full capacity.

Do the RF-35-series really need this silver-threading? Is it this beneficial? He wants $350 for the rethreading.

Please respond, you that know about this, cus I dont :)

Sincerely

/Daniel 2.gif16.gif

I would try to get the dealer to put this in writing (that the speakers need to have silver wiring installed) and his price for doing that, buy the speakers from him at the best price you can get while *INSISTING* that no alteration of the speakers be done, then fax the written quote on the re-wiring to customer service at Klipsch.

This is a *VERY* unscrupulous dealer if he is pushing this. I can see him offering it to you as an "upgrade" (and of course, you'd have no way of knowing how much "better" the speakers were after this upgrade if you never heard them at home before the upgrate), but to insist that the speakers *NEED* this is probably worse than the mandatory "undercoating", "protective sealer", and other add-ons that car dealers used to push.

I agree with Ray, your klipsch don't *require* any rewiring... and the whole "high end cable" industry is questionable to begin with, but insisting that they won't function properly is.... as PWK would say.... "bull $hit"

I would take my business elsewhere.

Rob

PS: Note that this modification may void the manufacturers warranty as well

I don't honestly think that you would be able to discern the difference between a silver-threaded one and the monster cable one. As a an experiment tell him you would personally like to hear the difference between the two identical speakers before investing the $350. Have him silver-thread one and leave the other stock, then you can decide for yourself if there is any sonic benefit whatsoever to the process. Do this in his showroom before paying him anything! Make sure the speakers are hooked up with identical speaker wire to the same amp!

What difference is the silver-threading going to make when you are most likely going to be connecting them to your amp or receiver with copper wiring and it most likely will be Monster Cable. As previously stated it's like paying for scotch-guarding on the seats on your new car when it came from the factory that way.

Just another way to milk a few more bucks out of you.

First I would ask if the speakers in the show are wired with the silver.

Second I would ask what the return policy is.

If it was a full $$$ return, being the cynical bastard I am, I would go elsewhere and but a second pair, invite a friend over and do a blind test. If there isn't a difference (which I suspect thee wouldn't be) I would return the speakers they upgraded.

Or I would simply take my business elsewhere.

On that note my speakers sound better since I upgraded my cables, well at least I keep telling myself that as I think about how much money I spent.

Save the dough...

For $350 I bet he's not going to use 'silver' anything. It's some extra money in his pocket for doing basically nothing execpt for him getting some free Monster cable (from your speakers). Report him to the store manager & to Klipsch!

Greetings:

About the only difference you will hear is the money going into either the store register or his pockets.

Find out if HE is going to do it or the service tech, then ask the Manager (when the guy's not around) if they NEED it.

The store Manager should know about this as well as 1-800-KLIPSCH.

Tell the manager, then tell him you want more off for unethical practices.

What City are you in ?

Win dodger

My understanding is that there is a lot of silver wire out there that doesn't sound good, too bright or something unpleasant like that. Even silver believers think it has to be chosen carefully if it's going to be done. I wouldn't do it either, especially under those circumstances.

Hello guys, a sincere thanks for your replies! Your messages indicates just what I imagined about the rethreading.

Heres a few answers to your replies.

Ray: Yes! You are exactly right, he called it an "upgrade", which was absolutely needed to enjoy the full potential of the speakers.

Formica: Unfortunately he's the only one in the middle of sweden that has Klipsch, which I want...

Frzninvt: Im also sure that hes trying to pull something here, Im no "audiophile" and could prolly not tell the difference...

Bruinsme: I wish I could talk to another dealer about this, but the possibility isnt here unfortunately...

Artto: Well he said he would at least. Both the manager and the demonstrator insisted on this, seems like a company-strategy almost...

Dodger: It was the manager and owner of the store that suggested this.

The store is called "Netto Direkt" and is located in Orebro (Örebro), Central Sweden. The name of the manager that suggested this is "Jocke" something.

/Daniel11.gif

That dealer sounds like a sleazoid to me and while I rarely recommend using non-authourised dealers to buy Klipsch I do in this case as I strongly suspect he would be a bustard to deal with regarding warranty issues etc.

There is an authourised internet dealer whose name escapes me at present. Perhaps someone here might be able to furnish the name.

That clown doesn't deserve your business.

I'm a bit surprised there were not more supporters of "super wire" out there. There are some fans of it in a generic sense.

On the other hand, I'm a member of the "zip cord is good enough".

I'd jump on the band wagon of better wire if there was any good, objective data to support it. But there is none. I believe Klipsch has taken a step away from its rationality by suggesting that Monster Wire is better than ordinary old copper wire.

OTOH, no one likes to sit by and see a swindle at great cost to the "mark". In my view, that is what is going on with silver wire in your case. It seems that others agree.

Gil

They'll do anything to make an extra buck, these days....

I would suggest to your dealer that the Klipsch army has denounced the idea of silver-threading.

It's Bull$hit!

IMHO. The only thing silver cable is good for is super-tweeters and video cable.

Tell your dealer that you wish to have them the way they were engineered......With Monster Cable..

Gil, Oh Man....here we go with 'ole lack of objective data, again. Ha Ha J/K

Someday, my friend, i'll invent equipment and a methodology by which to measure these obscure invisible entities that mystify us all.9.gif2.gif

Regards,

John

Hypo, I think your right about having little choice of vendor... as i don't think you'd save anything mail-ordering them once you factor in transport (even from a neighbouring country) and duty... So your kinda stuck with these guys. If you like the speakers... buy them without the "upgrade".

There are two ways of negotiating them... argue your point till your blue or go along with them. When I say go along... I don't mean going for the upgrade... just negotiate the best price possible implying that you'll add the upgrade cost to your purchase. Your dealer may even give you a better price thinking you'll go for the 350$ extra... but as you close the deal use the old "I'm a little tight now, so I might have to hold off on the upgrade for now" but asking that the sales person to guaranty the 350$ upgrade price... as this will give them false sense of security that you'll come back.

Everyone will be happy...

Rob

in the light of this being the only dealer around, i think the last post by formica is the best idea. tell them you will do the 'upgrade' a little later, so they may give you a better deal NOW. then don't go back for the upgrade.

this is similar to letting a car dealer think you are going to finance thru them (where they make $ on the financing), get a good price, then pay by some other means.

avman.

Audioreality and I seem to have a good natured debate going on. And I do hope it is good natured. We're both good natured guys.

I'm going to agree that there are aspects of audio which, as we humans hear it, are not correlated by the instrument measurements. OTOH, I do belive it is necessary to consult with the instruments to prevent self deception.

However, I like to think that the ABX tests are a valid test of subjective human appreciation. I can't imagine why they are not.

At the Klipsch tour I listened to braided CAT wire versus zip cord fed with pink noise. They sounded identical to me. The Monster Wire was laying in the corner and not available for review. Others tried the test with music and could not find a difference. But maybe I don't have golden ears and the other guys don't either.

I'm not close minded. However the people who claim there is some difference in sound as perceived by the human ear should present ABX data.

It is a fair challenge. Let the proponent of any speaker feed wire set it up in an ABX system, let the proponent be the subject, and pick out one or another. Perhaps the subject human does have golden ears.

I'm not asking, as the ABX test does not, which is better. Only if they are different. I've not seen a test where any difference can be detected by even the golden ears.

If my logic is wrong, please let me know. Smile.

Gil

you should get the dealer to "upgrade" one pair of speakers and leave another pair stock. then proceed to conduct a blind A/B test and have this wacko dealer tell you which speaker is which. if he gets anything less than 10/10 correct, then you know he's full of crap (cuz he might get lucky with the guessing if u do it only 1 or 2 times). while you're at it, try to get him to describe while blind the difference he's hearing...and then be sneaky and play the same set of speakers twice. i've done that to my friends so many times and it's hilarious...and if he's trying to make a sale (which obviously he is), then he'd be stupid to refuse taking the test.

i just think this approach is so much more exciting...i die for opportunities like this 12.gif

Great in-depth discussion -- but, in addition to often being quite bright, silver wire I've had has taken a looooooong time to break in -- the purchaser could still be waiting (and hoping) weeks or months later for enough break in to mitigate the brightness. By my small experience, I think the new Klipsch/Monster Cable is really very good and he is best off buying them stock. He can always rewire later if he wants.