Can I borrow the "Cornwall Vault" please?

BigBusa

Flintstones, meet the Flintstones. They're the modern stoneage family.

From the town of Bedrock, they're a page right out of history.

Let's ride with the family down the street, through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.

When your with the Flintstones have a yabba dabba do time, a dabba do time.

You'll have a gay ol' time.

W I L M A!!!!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/12/2003 1:16:11 PM fini wrote:

Gary,

I am not sure you're allowed to say "gay."

fini

(for those who need it,
2.gif
)

----------------

Do I need to get out the dictionary again? Hey, if it was good enough for Fred and the gang......

P.S. I think the guy who played Barney Rubble was one of the finest actors in cartoon history.

----------------

On 9/12/2003 1:34:46 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 9/12/2003 1:16:11 PM fini wrote:

Gary,

I am not sure you're allowed to say "gay."

fini

(for those who need it,
2.gif
)

----------------

Do I need to get out the dictionary again? Hey, if it was good enough for Fred and the gang......

P.S. I think the guy who played Barney Rubble was one of the finest actors in cartoon history.

----------------

Greetings:

Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College edition and the Webstar's New Twentieth Century Dictionary, unabridged, second edition, color, both have Joyous as the first meaning.

Plus as it is copyrighted, the meaning at the time of writing or subsequent revisions the meaning of the word is the correct usage.

Win dodger

Thank you for choosing me to talk to you this evening. Your participation in this special ceremony is more than proof that you not only passed your tests but also passed them very well. Passing a test in a certain subject is just half of the complete idea of learning. Today I would like to use a few minutes in this intelligent surrounding to discuss the other half of the learning process.

As we all know cultural and technological advances have brought us together as one race, the human one, in a way that never has been seen in history before.  The opportunities of available learning are enormous. Information has doubled in the last seven years. Children are exposed to more information than their grandparents have been exposed to in their lifetime. Discoveries in multiple disciples including medicine, biology, chemistry, and a variety of sciences have answered many questions we thought we could never answer before. It is truly an exciting time to be alive, especially for the learners.

Learning does not mean only burying our noses in the books day and night. In the process of reading a book, we need to explore the possibilities that we will face after finishing that book. Lets imagine the bigger person who we will become as a result of absorbing the meaning, the adventure, the profile, or/and the wisdom. All these benefits are provided by someone who inexpensively offers it, without us having to pay the price for the experience itself. And if you ask, as an educator, how many books have been read just to pass a test, I will tell you many, but it should really be about more than that.

In some cases, learning gets difficult. At some point we feel frustrated enough to think about quitting. Undesired core courses that we must take might change our perception and cause us to question our ability to maintain the level of excellence that made us PTK members. Fine, if that is the case, but maybe we just need to accelerate our speed and move with a faster rate to meet the new challenge. Is it really all about a constant variable a grade, when it comes to our accomplishment? Or is it about incrementing the value at handthe experience,  by one  ++, as we call it in C programming? Definitely it is an incremental process, and the difficulty of the subject will always increase, and so does our desire for a new intellectual venture.

Situations where a new level of performance is required provide us with the perfect time to question the reality of lifes hardship. It makes us realize that life is not easy and neither is learning. What makes the process of learning an interesting journey is the challenge associated with it. If learning is that easy,  in no time, and based on your accomplishments as PTK members, you will suffer a common disease called boredom. Our mental capacity has not fully been explored, and  there is plenty of unused mental power waiting to be utilized and challenged. 

In certain situations, as lifelong learners, we should not limit ourselves when it comes to finding the facts of life only based on the spoken or written words. It is great to examine the issues within their real environment. If you have the chance to visit another culture within its own local setting, I encourage you to do so. The tremendous opportunity of growth is not comparable to theoretical setting since you can see, feel, and react by sending and receiving messages based on the real facts.  

Learning as a process, with its varieties of subjects, is not limited to a certain age group, gender, or cultural background. Learning belongs to everyone. Research has shown that learning is acquired, meaning we need to go and get it. I should not tell myself I can not learn this subject because my age is a higher number than the age of the person next to me. Two days ago I met one of my finest students who will celebrate his 79 birthday soon. Also contradictory to the stereotypes, the best programmers with their name recorded deep in the history were females; Augustina Ada, and Grace Hooper. It is easy to sit in one classroom and see the diversity of people and to experience the wealth of growth generated as a result of such a mix. In the process of learning, if the value of tolerance and the courage to see a picture with its own true color is not realized, it is not a complete process. Learning should examine not only the subject matter; it should examine the way we relate to the idea and how it can expand our awareness. Leaning is about being conscious of the other parameters that make a thought worth adding to the content of our mental database. It is crucially important to examine our values and learn the biggest lesson of true learning; that is to unlearn a weak and stale idea that might reflect on us or others negatively. The unlearning course is much more challenging to us than learning a new concept. It is a great task for the learner to unlearn an issue and replace it with a new and complete belief that adds another dimension to the inner self.

After you have allowed me to share some of my thoughts with you, I would like to take the chance to congratulate you on your accomplishments. My colleagues and I share the same pride in you being here today, and you too should feel pride and self-satisfaction in your achievements. As I recall a great thinker stated that the one who wins is not the fastest or the smartest, rather, the one who wins is the one who persists the most.  And if the Sky is your limit, there are seven of them. Choose your level.

The best thing is to go in and pre-shop, and reserve the item, because in the busy season you could walk in and see 10 things that are perfect and eight of them are booked for somebody else.

Beowulf is a 3,182 line alliterative poem which was written in Old English and which has been translated in various ways many dozens of times in the past 200 years. The story is of a very brave and strong Geatish (Swedish) hero named Beowulf who travels to King Hrothgar's castle Heorot in Denmark and kills the ferocious monster Grendel by tearing Grendel's arm off with his bare hands. He subsequently slays Grendel's mother by cutting off her head in her own cave using her own giant sword. Fifty years later he is killed in a battle in which he and his protege Wiglaf kill a fire-breathing dragon. The original author of the poem is unknown and the original date of composition is in dispute (estimates range from about 700 A.D. to 1025 A.D.). The original manuscript from about 1025 A.D. survives in the British Library in a composite codex known as Cotton Vitellius A. xv (which was stored in the library of Sir Robert Bruce Cotton until it was damaged by fire in 1731). Facsimiles of the manuscript are now available on the "Electronic Beowulf" set of 2 CD's which has been created by Kevin S. Kiernan of the University of Kentucky and which will be sold for about $150 U.S. Here are the first 11 lines of the poem in the original Old English: Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum, fieodcyninga, firym gefrunon, hu a æfielingas ellen fremedon. Oft Scyld Scefing sceafiena fireatum, monegum mægfium, meodosetla ofteah, egsode eorlas. Syan ærest wear feasceaft funden, he fiæs frofre gebad, weox under wolcnum, weormyndum fiah, ofiæt him æghwylc fiara ymbsittendra ofer hronrade hyran scolde, gomban gyldan. fiæt wæs god cyning! And here is the translation of those lines from the Frederick Rebsamen alliterative verse translation: Yes! We have heard of years long vanished how Spear-Danes struck sang victory-songs raised from a wasteland walls of glory Then Scyld Scefing startled his neighbors measured meadhalls made them his own since down by the sea-swirl sent from nowhere the Danes found him floating with gifts a strange king-child. Scyld grew tall then roamed the waterways rode through the land till every strongman each warleader sailed the whalepaths sought him with gold there knelt to him. That was a king! And here is the translation of those lines from the Roy M. Liuzza verse translation: Listen! We have heard of the glory in bygone days of the folk-kings of the spear-Danes, how those noble lords did lofty deeds. Often Scyld-Scefing seized the mead-benches from many tribes, troops of enemies, struck fear into earls. Though he first was found a waif, he awaited solace for that -- he grew under heaven and prospered in honor until every one of the encircling nations over the whale's-riding had to obey him, grant him tribute. That was a good King!

My fellow Americans:

Three days from now, after half a century in the service of our country, I shall lay down the responsibilities of office as, in traditional and solemn ceremony, the authority of the Presidency is vested in my successor.

This evening I come to you with a message of leave-taking and farewell, and to share a few final thoughts with you, my countrymen.

Like every other citizen, I wish the new President, and all who will labor with him, Godspeed. I pray that the coming years will be blessed with peace and prosperity for all.

Our people expect their President and the Congress to find essential agreement on issues of great moment, the wise resolution of which will better shape the future of the Nation.

My own relations with the Congress, which began on a remote and tenuous basis when, long ago, a member of the Senate appointed me to West Point, have since ranged to the intimate during the war and immediate post-war period, and, finally, to the mutually interdependent during these past eight years.

In this final relationship, the Congress and the Administration have, on most vital issues, cooperated well, to serve the national good rather than mere partisanship, and so have assured that the business of the Nation should go forward. So, my official relationship with the Congress ends in a feeling, on my part, of gratitude that we have been able to do so much together.

II

We now stand ten years past the midpoint of a century that has witnessed four major wars among great nations. Three of these involved our own country. Despite these holocausts America is today the strongest, the most influential and most productive nation in the world. Understandably proud of this pre-eminence, we yet realize that America's leadership and prestige depend, not merely upon our unmatched material progress, riches and military strength, but on how we use our power in the interests of world peace and human betterment.

III

Throughout America's adventure in free government, our basic purposes have been to keep the peace; to foster progress in human achievement, and to enhance liberty, dignity and integrity among people and among nations. To strive for less would be unworthy of a free and religious people. Any failure traceable to arrogance, or our lack of comprehension or readiness to sacrifice would inflict upon us grievous hurt both at home and abroad.

Progress toward these noble goals is persistently threatened by the conflict now engulfing the world. It commands our whole attention, absorbs our very beings. We face a hostile ideology-global in scope, atheistic in character, ruthless in purpose, and insidious in method. Unhappily the danger it poses promises to be of indefinite duration. To meet it successfully, there is called for, not so much the emotional and transitory sacrifices of crisis, but rather those which enable us to carry forward steadily, surely, and without complaint the burdens of a prolonged and complex struggle-with liberty at stake. Only thus shall we remain, despite every provocation, on our charted course toward permanent peace and human betterment.

Crises there will continue to be. In meeting them, whether foreign or domestic, great or small,there is a recurring temptation to feel that some spectacular and costly action could become the miraculous solution to all current difficulties. A huge increase in newer elements of our defense; development of unrealistic programs to cure every ill in agriculture; a dramatic expansion in basic and applied research-these and many other possibilities, each possibly promising in itself, may be suggested as the only way to the road we which to travel.

But each proposal must be weighed in the light of a broader consideration: the need to maintain balance in and among national programs-balance between the private and the public economy, balance between cost and hoped for advantage-balance between the clearly necessary and the comfortably desirable; balance between our essential requirements as a nation and the duties imposed by the nation upon the individual; balance between action of the moment and the national welfare of the future. Good judgment seeks balance and progress; lack of it eventually finds imbalance and frustration.

The record of many decades stands as proof that our people and their government have, in the main, understood these truths and have responded to them well, in the face of stress and threat. But threats, new in kind or degree, constantly arise. I mention two only.

IV

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peace time, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United State corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence-economic, political, even spiritual-is felt in every city, every state house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades.

In this revolution, research has become central; it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been over shadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers.

The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present and is gravely to be regarded.

Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

It is the task of statesmanship to mold, to balance, and to integrate these and other forces, new and old, within the principles of our democratic system-ever aiming toward the supreme goals of our free society.

V

Another factor in maintaining balance involves the element of time. As we peer into society's future, we-you and I, and our government-must avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering, for our own ease and convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the material assets of our grandchildren without risking the loss also of their political and spiritual heritage. We want democracy to survive for all generations to come, not to become the insolvent phantom of tomorrow.

VI

Down the long lane of the history yet to be written America knows that this world of ours, ever growing smaller, must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect.

Such a confederation must be one of equals. The weakest must come to the conference table with the same confidence as do we, protected as we are by our moral, economic, and military strength. That table, though scarred by many past frustrations, cannot be abandoned for the certain agony of the battlefield.

Disarmament, with mutual honor and confidence, is a continuing imperative. Together we must learn how to compose difference, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose. Because this need is so sharp and apparent I confess that I lay down my official responsibilities in this field with a definite sense of disappointment. As one who has witnessed the horror and the lingering sadness of war-as one who knows that another war could utterly destroy this civilization which has been so slowly and painfully built over thousands of years-I wish I could say tonight that a lasting peace is in sight.

Happily, I can say that war has been avoided. Steady progress toward our ultimate goal has been made. But, so much remains to be done. As a private citizen, I shall never cease to do what little I can to help the world advance along that road.

VII

So-in this my last good night to you as your President-I thank you for the many opportunities you have given me for public service in war and peace. I trust that in that service you find somethings worthy; as for the rest of it, I know you will find ways to improve performance in the future.

You and I-my fellow citizens-need to be strong in our faith that all nations, under God, will reach the goal of peace with justice. May we be ever unswerving in devotion to principle, confident but humble with power, diligent in pursuit of the Nation's great goals.

To all the peoples of the world, I once more give expression to America's prayerful and continuing inspiration:

We pray that peoples of all faiths, all races, all nations, may have their great human needs satisfied; that those now denied opportunity shall come to enjoy it to the full; that all who yearn for freedom may experience its spiritual blessings; that those who have freedom will understand, also, its heavy responsibilities; that all who are insensitive to the needs of others will learn charity; that the scourges of poverty, disease and ignorance will be made to disappear from the earth, and that, in the goodness of time, all peoples will come to live together in a peace guaranteed by the binding force of mutual respect and love.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"As I mentioned near the close of the last record, this record you are now playing is another example of 'The Completion Backward Principle.' If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting."

Talk to ya later.

fini

Probably the greatest Farewell Address since G. Washington. Of course, Eisenhower's warning regarding the military-industrial complex was completely ignored.

Just listened to that Tubes CD a couple of days ago. "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" is still a fun listen, even after all these years.

----------------

On 9/11/2003 9:22:46 PM greg928s4 wrote:

I've read this whole thread, including some great poetry, and I think some of you are instigating Don and being just plain a**holes.

Maybe there's a history here that I don't know about, but still . . .

----------------

Greg-

You are correct on all accounts. I do honestly apologize to all forum members who are offended by my reactions. There's only one person I intended to offend.

Win-

Thanks for backing me up on the semantics.16.gif

Also thanks to the Klipsch poetry society for cracking me up.

I love to see what hot topics do when I take a day off from work. I can honestly say you guys were not at all on my mind at the pediatric cardiologist's office. (everything's fine they say...)