Believe it or not -- I have a car audio question

Deang

All I can offer is my opinion, & no actual facts. Since I work at a high school, I have a pretty good idea. Now, How can I do this without getting into trouble?

Since the kids on campus have no home to show off in, it has to be their cars (I know I did it).

We have quite a few cars on campus that make waaaayyyy more bass than actual music. It takes allot of power to do that in a car with out the proper "corners" etc. Car systems are really... REALLY.... inefficient. Power is the only other way.

Simply (& obviously) put, its easier to make bass when you have the room to do it!

SO ... how many people did I just insult? Really, I did not mean to.

With all the advances in technology their are some awesome subwoofers and component speakers available for the car. Some are superior to subwoofers available for purchase for home audio.

There are two classes of car audio enthusiast't those that Cyclone described the "boom car" thunder and lightning type system where the bass is way overbearing with no real sound quality to speak of. I competed in the SQ (Sound Quality) classes in IASCA from 94-96 in the 1-150 Novice and Amatuer class and believe me you can make a car system easily rival the best home system with the proper components, sound deadening, and speaker positioning. I had a stunning system in my '94 Camaro I used Morel MW-166 midbass drivers (3" hexatech voice coils) coupled to Dynaudio tweeters with custom crossovers in the front and rear positions. I had a Vifa 3" soft dome midrange as a center channel with output controlled with an L-pad. Bass was provided by (2) Atomic HPW-1094 10" subwoofers in a Montana Pro bandpass box custom built to fit in the well of the Camaro with a large slotted port aimed to reflect off the sharply angled rear window. Amplification was provided by some of the best amplifiers available at the time the HiFonics Platinum Series "Isis" (50W + 50W) and the "Ulysses" (25W + 25W). Installation was first class, everything blended into the car naugahyde covered all the enclosures and amp rack.

Judging was done by ear and by measurement, I had an Eq with memories, one memory for the judges and one for the Audio Control 3050/3055 RTA. I would get consistent 37's with 40 being a perfect score.

It seems like SPL is the craze these days with sound quality gone pretty much out the window.

Done correctly car audio has the capability of being really nice sounding. Got specific questions please email me I have been around car audio since the very first Alpine component cassette (7307) deck became available in the mid to late 70's and have always had a system in my vehicle.

Good lord...

Thanks, Dean. Top of the morning to you with this one. What strange pocket in your skull comes up with these beauts?

Where are the comments about the Dual 70 and new preamp?

You dont even have a hurricane as an excuse.

kh

"...believe me you can make a car system easily

rival the best home system with the proper components,

sound deadening, and speaker positioning.

What best home system is this?

----------------

On 9/20/2003 6:23:03 AM Frzninvt wrote:

There are two classes of car audio enthusiast't

----------------

It seems like SPL is the craze these days with sound quality gone pretty much out the window.

----------------

Frz is right, there are 2 classes of audio for sure. I am unfortunate to only see (or hear) the loud side. But I have heard a few very nice car systems built by people who love music.

But Dean's point is still there. It seems like you went all out on the car system right down to the last detail. I am curious to know how many of us do that for our home systems!

I happily gave up serious car audio about midway through college and now live with a smile with the stock stereos in my Camry and Golf. The BMW Bavaria has a nice Alpine head unit with ADS plate speakers but nothing too out of the ordinary. Trying to achieve really quality sound in an auto is such a lost cause I gave it up long ago. If clarity, tight bass, and extended highs are all you look for, then by God it's there; hitting for other qualities is not the forte of car gear, in my view. Although they do now have tube amps for car systems. I dont even bother. Strangely enough, I enjoy my music more now on trips then I did kicking Led Zeppelin back in 75.

kh

----------------

On 9/19/2003 10:35:35 PM DeanG wrote:

O.K. troops, I'm confused.

My son has been showing me various drivers used for subs in cars. Why is it that these things seem to out spec and out weigh just about anything I've been able to find that is used for home audio applications?
----------------

Dean,

No need to make it more complicated than it realy is.

'98 F-250 extended cab 4WD

2 100W Rockfords under the seat

4 Heresy cargo straped in the jump seats

Love to nail the volume at stop lights when the "one note" kids are in the other lane

Kids? Well, ...I...OK..I.......Some of us could grow up..... Could it be my lack of hair?

Terry

----------------

On 9/21/2003 11:04:15 AM Inman Amplification wrote:

----------------

On 9/20/2003 9:12:53 PM IB Slammin wrote:

Inman,

My goodness. That RX-7 is a torque-ey little b**ch. 302, 351?

Terry

----------------

Yeah, she has some balls! 232ci supercharged V-6

A 302 wasn't offered in 1990 for the Cougar, A 351 would never fit! The 1991 model offered a modified 302, capable of 200 Hp. The supercharged V-6 is the more powerful engine.

-Ryan

----------------

Ryan,

I didn't catch the year when I posted. 351s? I believe 429s were in the late 60's, 70, 71, maybe 72.

Regards,

Terry

The reason for the difference is that the area of listening is about the size of a phone booth. When there used to be phone booths. There are a few implications to this.

One is that the listener is sitting in the "near field" where pressure is higher even without the boundries . Also, there are boundries, which does push up the pressure.

Some bass systems are poorly designed an under damped. This means they have good efficency at one note. Hence the boom.

Gil

The cougar is a fox chassis, the very same platform that the mustang is built on, therefore all the components from a mustang will bolt in, including oil pans and headers. There is a fellow running around the city here in a real sleeper - a white cougar with a vortech supercharged 351 windsor under the hood. This car turns real low 11's at the dragstrip with slicks and is a real daily driver. The 351 will fit in this chassis, however, you must buy an engine oil pan designed for the chassis ( 302 is different ), and different headers as the cylinder block is physically taller and wider than the 302.

----------------

On 9/21/2003 6:41:38 PM Inman Amplification wrote:

----------------

On 9/21/2003 1:18:09 PM IB Slammin wrote:

----------------

On 9/21/2003 11:04:15 AM Inman Amplification wrote:

Yep, had a '67 Cougar Eliminator with a 429 Cobra-Jet, and a '74 Cougar XR-7 with a 351 Cleveland! The '67 was an awesome car, and would give the Chevy Chevelle's a real run for their money! They don't build 'em like this anymore!

-Ryan

----------------

Ryan,

You sure on the year of that Eliminator?

The Cougar Eliminator was only offered in 1969/1970 and was quite the looker-for a Ford product11.gif

Jeff

----------------

On 9/20/2003 6:23:03 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I competed in the SQ (Sound Quality) classes in IASCA from 94-96 in the 1-150 Novice and Amatuer class and believe me you can make a car system easily rival the best home system with the proper components, sound deadening, and speaker positioning. I had a stunning system in my '94 Camaro I used Morel MW-166 midbass drivers (3" hexatech voice coils) coupled to Dynaudio tweeters with custom crossovers in the front and rear positions. I had a Vifa 3" soft dome midrange as a center channel with output controlled with an L-pad. Bass was provided by (2) Atomic HPW-1094 10" subwoofers in a Montana Pro bandpass box custom built to fit in the well of the Camaro with a large slotted port aimed to reflect off the sharply angled rear window.

----------------

I wasn't aware you had been into SQ car audio... It seems that everyone's selling SPL now and participation in SQ has dropped alot.

I also find it interesting that you used Dynaaudio, Morel, and Vifa whom are all respected for DIY components. Were these from a car-audio or regular series?

I've always wanted to bring a little of the dynamics of my home system into the car. I may eventually post some questions for you, particularly on where the money is best spent, given a limited budget and having no intention to compete.

But right now I don't even know if I'll change car or not...

Later...

Rob

PS: as for the original post... I'm not sure which woofer specs appeared better than the home components, but neither power consumption nor Xmax (linear travel) have much bearing on a driver's performance.

To really understand a woofer, one must model its Theile/Small Parameters. Usually to reduce enclosure size (high priority in car audio) one must sacrifice efficiency or low frequency extension... or BOTH. I guess it depends what you expect from the woofer.

1999 F150 4 door.

500W sony playing 75x4 and 1x200.

I like the MBQuarts, you can get a 6 1/4 for the doors all in one speaker but actually called spearate with external crossover. Talk about clarity.

Bought a custom under the rear seat box with a 8" dual voice coil rockford for bass. Not what I am used to but that is all the room I have.

Before you buy speakers you have to hear the MB Quarts.