Walnut is dead.

Klipschfoot

I think "cost prohibitive" is the key here. There are more vinyl-clad black loudspeakers out there then ever before, and I for one think it's disgusting.

With the exception of the high cost audiophile loudspeakers, most less expensive models you find at discount electronic superstores are nothing but black vinyl. And what real wood veneers are out there today, you don't see good ol' classic American walnut anymore. It's a shame that walnut is considered out of fashion today, but it's even sadder when you can't even find a reasonably priced loudspeaker in today's market with any real wood veneer, walnut or otherwise.

I acknowledge the popularity of oak. However, if you have several antiques in you home, you might find that walnut fits better. Many do not like the width and constrast of oak grain and oak seems to have been second to walnut in status. I merely bring it up because walnut is found on a lot of vintage Klipsch and other speakers. My Quartets, Academy and entertainment center are all oak. I like the look, but walnut may make a comeback. (I say this while looking for a pair of HWO Heresys.)

----------------

On 9/20/2003 2:48:14 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Walnut is not exotic--it costs a little LESS than cherry and just a tiny bit more than oak or maple. I think its more that walnut is out of fashion right now.

----------------

How can this ever be out of fashion 6.gif!

Forte1.jpg

----------------

On 9/21/2003 3:07:20 PM jerohm wrote:

----------------

Walnut is not exotic--it costs a little LESS than cherry and just a tiny bit more than oak or maple. I think its more that walnut is out of fashion right now.

----------------

How can this ever be out of fashion
6.gif
!

----------------

It probably has to do with everything in the 70's and 80's being wrapped in cheap walnut vinyl and everyone is sick of it - not my opinion, just a guess.

I don't care if society today thinks that walnut is boring. What the hell's so special about black? That's all you see nowadays...some black wood veneer, but mostly black vinyl...why? I like any real wood veneer, even raw birch. But today the yuppies (or the "X" Generation, whatever they call themselves) have denounced colorful woodgrain patterns for black! Are there black trees that grow only in some exotic place that makes today's up-and-coming desire that over a beautiful, naturally colored woodgrain? When I bought my Magnepan MGLR1 planers several years ago, all the retailer had was black; it was either take what they had, or wait and order a pair in stained oak or mahagony...I was too impatient to wait several weeks, so I took the black finish (and I have always regretted it).

Notice how we're seeing a resurgence of silver-finished components again, how name-brand maunfacturers are building more and more components in a silver cabinet, and black faceplates are becoming secondary? The silver color has once again become more popular (like our components of 30+ years ago). Maybe walnut, real hardwood veneer, and plywood cabinets will once again come back by popular demand, and vinyl covering and black will be a thing of the past!

Just my rant...

If I got a pair of RF-35's - I would get black, but if I got some RF-7's, I would get maple, as it is awesome. I have NO INTEREST in fake wood, so if fake wood is my choice, I will go with black. However, if I can get real wood, I will see what is nice. I also love a good Rosewood.

I would take any of the three finishes - awesome looking speakers: http://www.focal-jmlab.fr/gb/home/utopiabe/gube.htm

I'm not sure walnut is dead:

Our home is filled with antiques, (a lot of hand me downs) and the oiled walnut Forte IIs fit right in. I've tried the Quartets in the same room but they do tend to stand out. Cherry, walnut and darker maples mix quite well. We have curley and tiger maple in the dining room and wait!, all of a sudden I'm getting a picture of a pair of curley maple Cornwalls! Wow! Wouldn't that be something? I may have to look into some bird's eye or curley maple veneer for that black pair of Forte IIs I have.

I also agree with TheEAR that the rosewoods are in right now. They too are beautiful but seem to fit with more modern or contemporary decor although they would fit pretty well with my old Tandberg Receiver.

American Black Walnut is THE classic of North American fine furniture woods. It has been the wood of preference for over two centuries. It is ALSO the wood of preference for gunstocks, though, which has been both to its advantage and almost led to its demise.

The wood density scale is based upon Black Walnut, with its standard given density of "1", with all other woods being rated either less than "1" or greater than "1". Why? Because of its preference in use for gunstocks over the years. Why gunstocks? Because Walnut is dense, remarkably dimensionally stable throughout a wide range of humidity/temperature differences, relatively easy to work(as hardwoods go), can have remarkable beauty in its grain patterns, is DARK(a big plus in a hunting or combat environment), needs nothing more than a regular application of boiled linseed oil for a relatively "environment-proof" finish, and was plentiful. The wood density scale was actually developed in order to find other suitable woods BESIDES Black Walnut for use in gunstocks...woods that were less expensive, more plentiful, and could retain the weight(to counter recoil) and the dimensional stability of walnut. This became necessary as we depleted our supply of trees for use in stocking the rifles made by our arms industry that was supplying, not only rifles to the rest of the world, but also gunstocks to the rest of the world for THEIR arms industries...leading to a rise in cost of the wood as the supply began to be depleted over the years...especially during the two world wars.

Since the end of WWII, our mixed hardwood forests have been replaced in many areas with urban sprawl...or managed forestry that concentrates on rapid tree growth species for supplying the construction/paper markets One would expect the further demise of the black walnut tree, but in actuality, the numbers have increased...mostly due to the replacement of solid woods with veneers in the furniture industry, and even moreso by the replacement of black walnut by synthetics or wood laminates in the arms industry for use in gunstocks. Due to this, the costs to the manufacturer of products having real walnut veneer, etc, has dropped considerably over the last decade or so(relative to the price of other hardwoods), making other woods that HAD been less expensive rise in relative cost compared to walnut. Nevertheless, black walnut will still remain relatively high in cost because, in part, it is a slow-growth tree...AND because it is highly valued by timberland owners who can wait for the price they seek to be met before allowing them to be cut.

PWK preferred Black Walnut for a veneer wood in his speakers, no doubt at least a tiny bit of the reason was due to his love of fine firearms and shooting. The speakers in his home were normally black walnut-veneered.

Black Walnut is NOT dead, it is just taking a short nap right now! Classics NEVER DIE!

----------------

On 9/21/2003 3:20:45 PM kenratboy wrote:

----------------

On 9/21/2003 3:07:20 PM jerohm wrote:

----------------

----------------

How can this ever be out of fashion
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif">!
----------------
It probably has to do with everything in the 70's and 80's being wrapped in cheap walnut vinyl and everyone is sick of it - not my opinion, just a guess.

----------------

agreed.