Heresys now or Cornwalls later?

Yossarian

After living with RF 3 IIs for a while I am favorably impressed enough to consider trying some heritage gear. The Heresy's are affordable and I have a good subwoofer (REL Strata II). My concern is that if I really like the Heresys I will immediately begin lusting after a pair of Cornwalls. Cornwalls are pricey, even used, and shipping will make them even more so. Are Heresys with a decent sub in the same league as a pair of Cornwalls, or should I simply save money and wait for a pair of Cornwalls? I have a small listening room now, but that won't last forever.

Nick.

ha ha ha the question! heresies are like children of the corn, as are quartets and fortes. the cornwalls are stand alone speaks, if you can, wait, and save. the cornwalls have all of everything you will ever need, in some respects they have more bass than the venerable cornerhorn. i started with reference, a 5.1 system as a matter of fact, and because of this forum i went heritage, first the corns, after a day or two all of the reference went to my son, and my quest began to redo my system in heritage. IT IS THAT MUCH BETTER.12.gif

Even Paul Klipsch agreed that one can have too much speaker for a room. If your room is small, then it is more than possible for a set of Heresies to out-perform the Cornwalls in the listenability department.

Since Heresies are so easy to sell off, why not just get a set now that you can run with your sub -- and then land some Cornwalls later when funds provide.

Of course, if you haven't heard anything from the Heritage line, you might want to try to find a way to do so. A horn loaded midrange is a very different animal than what you are hearing from your RF-3's.

Personally, I think you should audition some RF-7's with a good amp.

Just how small is your room? And what is the shape? I have a fairly small listening room in one dimension but it does flow off to the right and the sound is VERY good with cornwalls.

I personally would go with Cornwalls between the two unless you have a VERY small room as in second bedroom size, in which case, it's hard to get great sound to begin with (I prefer monitors in rooms like this).

What is your room size?

kh

ps- Dean, when did we totally diverge on all opinions audio? heh... three posts and we dont agree on anything. Times are a changin...

Greetings:

I have to agree with Dean on this one.

Having both and switching the Heresys between a 13 by 20 foot room to a 12x12 the Heresys will take care of your needs with the sub.

The throw of the Heresys is adequate for the volume levels one can experience and the detail does not get lost in either room.

I also say this, as I believe if you are posting the question, you are not happy with what you have. It may take a while to find the desired Cornwalls. In that meantime you can be looking for Cornwalls. Then sell your Heresys, they will retain their value.

Also be sure the pre-amplifier and amplifier mix is satisfactory.

But as noted above, you will hear a "different" Klipsch sound whether you go to the Heresys or the Cornwalls.

In the mean, be happy with Heresys and your sub while you look.

Win dodger

In answer to your question, no Heresys with a sub are not in the same league as cornwalls. But you make like the sound.

I have both, see below. Unless the the room is really small and can't fit the corns, that would be my only reason for choosing Heresys over corns, if you can only have one or the other.

My advice though is to get the Heresys just to get into the game. The sub will help and the system will probably sound good.

I agree with what's above. You can either trade the Heresys or have both eventually. You won't lose by getting them.

Watch on Ebay for a pair of corns you can drive to get.

Enjoy.

I don't normally disagree with Win, but I have to here. I've had my cornwalls for 23 years and they've been in every size room you can possibly imagine. They've done well in all of them, even in my Dodge Tradesman (another story). I also own heresys and the corns are just so much better that I would recommend taking the plunge.

Of course the other suggestions are good as far as getting the heresys now then trading up when you have the cash and a bigger room, but don't think cornwalls are just heresys with more bass. They're heresys with more everything.

P.S. Roll away the dew.

I was thinking small room as in small room. The Cornwall really needs some breathing room. I had concerns about the bass as well, for if they are sandwiched in somewhere -- things can muddy up right quick.

Kelly, where are the other posts? What have we disagreed on?

Hereseys are a great sounding "little" speaker. I recently picked up a pair for my HT room. They have the classic Heritage sound. I found the mud magnet tweeters a bit on the strong side. but then, I have always felt the Alnico k77s in my horns were a little timid so I switched them. I got two perfect marrages.

The first thing I did when I unpacked them Monday was to rewire with 14ga OFC, tighten all the connections on the crossover and install some polyfill. Today I rope caulked the woofer and squaker (tweeter already done). They sound super even in the small room with CD and SS. They ain't Klipschorns but what is? Unfortunatly there is no room in there for Cornwalls. Oh well. I only use my sub, Rw-15, with effects. True bass is better to my ears.

Funny I first read about Klipsch speakers in Roling Stone. The article was about La Scalas and went into PWK and his quirks. I was sold. I saved and saved. When it came time to buy the WAF reared it's head and we went to buy Corns but bought Horns.

In a nutshell buy the Hereseys you won't be disapointed. Then later buy some Corns and use the Hereseys for rears. Then buy some Horns and use the Corns for rears and the Hereseys for front and rear center.

Problem solved!

Rick

I confess I have never had the chance to listen to Cornwalls, but earlier this week I had the chance to listen to a Heresy/Sunfire sub combo. I found that astonishingly good. The owner had placed the Heresy on the floor in front of his LaScalas (as the Heresy will end up in a different room) and together with the sub it was not easy to tell which speaker was playing (referring to mids and highs). I believe that if one is forced to use 'smaller' speakers, that's an excellent combination - provided really good amplification is used, but that's true for all speakers. So I'd start with the Heresy/sub combo and in case you don't like it, get the Cornwalls at a later stage.

Wolfram

----------------

On 9/24/2003 9:22:58 AM garymd wrote:

Of course the other suggestions are good as far as getting the heresys now then trading up when you have the cash and a bigger room, but don't think cornwalls are just heresys with more bass. They're heresys with more everything.

P.S. Roll away the dew.

----------------

I think that if you get Heresys, you will love 'em. However, as Gary said, Cornwalls ARE that much better. They can put out some serious volume as well as being the best low-volume speaker I've ever heard.

to sum up some comments with which I agree.

*My concern is that if I really like the Heresys I will immediately begin lusting after a pair of Cornwalls

> You will. why not ultimately get both?

*the cornwalls are stand alone speaks, if you can, wait, and save. the cornwalls have all of everything you will ever need

> yep.

Watch on Ebay for a pair of corns you can drive to get

> patience is a virtue in this case.

best of luck. I've been a Cornwall owner/admirer since July/2003. I'm still amazed at how fine these speakers are. Just wait till you've experienced some Phil bombs through them.

3.gif

forrest

Until very recently I ran the Heresies with a REL Strata 3. It was a match made in heaven - very, very good.

The main drawback of the Heresy to my ears was image size - this is much less of a problem in a smaller room and so couldbe the perfect choice for you.

Cant comment on the Cornwalls - still never heard them, but comparing the sound I had to that of friends with LaScala's my system was certainly not embarrassed.

One caveat - in my experience the Heresy is a lot fussier over amplification than the RF3's you are currently running. There may be some time needed to sort that out, however, I doubt that whatever you ended up with would be problematic with later Heritage purchases.

I personally think Heresy's are a incredible speaker that placed right and not expected to reach ear blistering SLP do a awesome job. Mated with a descent and well blended sub I think they would compete very well top to bottom with a Cornwall. To say a cornwall is a night and day improvement isn't true at all. It only really excells in the bass department. There both wonderfull speakers ones really not leaps and bounds better than the other just different.

Craig

----------------

On 9/25/2003 7:56:56 AM NOSValves wrote:

I personally think Heresy's are a incredible speaker that placed right and not expected to reach ear blistering SLP do a awesome job. Mated with a descent and well blended sub I think they would compete very well top to bottom with a Cornwall. To say a cornwall is a night and day improvement isn't true at all. It only really excells in the bass department. There both wonderfull speakers ones really not leaps and bounds better than the other just different.

Craig

----------------

Craig,

2 guys I have never disagreed with before in 1 post. Have you ever a/b'd heresys and cornwalls? I love the heresys, great speaker for its size or bigger but come on!! We all know the bass issue. The corns are just so much more open and live on the top end. Anyway, that's my opinion and I'll say no more.

----------------

On 9/25/2003 8:11:52 AM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 9/25/2003 7:56:56 AM NOSValves wrote:

Craig

----------------

Craig,

2 guys I have never disagreed with before in 1 post. Have you ever a/b'd heresys and cornwalls? I love the heresys, great speaker for its size or bigger but come on!! We all know the bass issue. The corns are just so much more open and live on the top end. Anyway, that's my opinion and I'll say no more.

----------------

Greetings:

I don't fthink there is any disagreement. The Cornwall's bass is much, much better.

My response is for one that is not patien, or lucky enough to find Cornwall IIs and have a good friend audition them 1.gif

It sounds as if you want a change, in the near future but funds are limited. Therefore I go with my recommendation to buy Heresys now, adjust your sub to mate with them and continue saving.

When you are close to buying Cornwalls come back to the Forum and state you have Heresys for sale.

You probably will not lose any money, and in my opinion, you could sell your sub also. I don't feel the need to augment the bass of the Cornwalls unless you're setting up HT, then you will need to keep the sub.

So if you ARE in a feeling of hurry, the Heresys with a subwoofer will get you going while you save for a good pair of Cornwalls (good as in condition.)

So there is no disagreement and maybe you will wind up owning both. :)

Win dodger

OK. I give! Buy heresys now with a good sub. Heresys = $300 - $500. A good sub = $500 - $2,000. Cornwalls = $750 - $900. Is there something I'm missing? If you go without the sub, you will save $$$. With the sub, cornwalls may be cheaper anyway.

I love you guys! Is the originator of this post still around or are we talking amongst ourselves?9.gif

Edit: Nevermind. I forgot he already had a sub. Buy the heresys!

----------------

On 9/25/2003 9:08:38 AM garymd wrote:

OK. I give! Buy heresys now with a good sub. Heresys = $300 - $500. A good sub = $500 - $2,000. Cornwalls = $750 - $900. Is there something I'm missing? If you go without the sub, you will save $$$. With the sub, cornwalls may be cheaper anyway.

I love you guys! Is the originator of this post still around or are we talking amongst ourselves?
9.gif

Edit: Nevermind. I forgot he already had a sub. Buy the heresys!

----------------

Greetings:

That's why there's no disagreement.

Though I also agree with you, Gary, about the highs.

There's something about a large speaker that DOES seem to expand the sound. I can play my Paradigms at 105 db and they don't give the same fullness that the Heresys or especially the Cornwalls do.

I do hope the original poster reads about the Cornwalls for sale above.

Win dodger

Gary,

Well the Mids and the highs should be pretty darn close and the Heresy does not suffer from that big ported 15" woofer beating the horns to death. As far as hearing Cornwall's yes I have one of my best friends owns a pair and also Mopar Dave also has a pair I've heard with my gear hooked to them. I still say setup right the Heresy's have a excellant sound to them ! Are they better I guess I wouldn't go that far but with a nice sub like he has I bet would come very close !

Craig