PSB Stratus Gold's will Blow Away Khorns

greg928gts

"My wires are so tangled and crossed over in mish mash fashion behind my rack that instead of getting cross interference and noise problems, I'm actually getting the exact opposite, where all frequency anomolies, interference, and hum are interactively cancelled out and the result a smoothing of the sound like I've never heard before. I'm not touching a thing back there! ...I think the exact term for this is cableinterturbulation."

Oh gosh that's funny. One of those spit your coffee all over the computer screen posts.

What's really funny is that there could be some truth to it.

Wires that is my wife's constant complaint with my systems. The way she discribes it they look like greg928s4's

proposed avitar.

There may be something to having the wires perfectly intertwined to cancel each other out. Auto manufactures have for years, issued tech bullitins on the proper interlacing, overlayment of wiring to cancel out unwanted interference in other electronics. If you replace the plug wires in your late model rocket and decide to make a neat job of it instead of the tangle from the factory, it might never run right again.

Somehow the wife doesn't believe that I have to keep the signal cables separated from the speaker cables, separated from the power cables, separated from the antenna cables.

Rick

Greg....lordy.

Just how long are your speaker cables?

Do this. With your SET system, pay close attention to rewiring this thing. Dont let your power cords run all over you IC or speaker cable. Eliminate the TANGLE. Keep the wiring separate if at all possible or cross power cables to IC/speaker at 90 Degree angles (better yet, really separate them). Try to keep the IC with the IC and speaker cable apart as well. In addition, dont have so much excess cable if you can help it. And lastly, dont COIL the wires.

As side note, down the line, it might help to experiment with some better cable selections (both speaker and IC). No need to cost an arm and a leg either but improvements will be noticable in my opinion. There are very reasonable options out there.

I really think system setup get the last important bit out of your rig, especially if moving to the SET domain (I actually think it's equally important with all systems).

kh

Here's a picture of the PSB Gold.

I don't know what the point of this thread is. It struck me funny the way the guy reacted when I told him I had Khorns. "There's just no comparison, these will blow away Khorns", and "I used to own Khorns in college, these speakers are for people who really listen to music". There were others.

kh, those aren't really my wires. Just a pile upstairs that I'm supposed to take care of, two weeks ago. 1.gif

Greg

post-11090-13819249332668_thumb.jpg

Hold on fellas! Chiquita and Dole labels are fine if you just want to hear the banana-label effect but truth be told, they are pretty standard fare compared to the more esoteric offerings by Banco. Though some 'philes purport that its the glue that makes the tweak effective, I think the real difference lies in the print colors. Regardless, the glue used by Chiquita and Dole is simply a generic blend while Banco uses the original tried and true blend (with actual horse hooves) and while I have no idea what the other 2 use to produce the reds and blues on their labels, the orange and yellow colors on the Banco label are made of .9999% pure vegetable dye.

Banco enthusiasts claim that the reflective resonances of the dyes help to offset the somewhat over-damped quality of the glue for a stunningly detailed image, with tight, articulate bass and smooth, extended highs.

Best of all, in this instance, the point is moot for the size and gauge theorists who are constantly arguing over the virtues (or lack thereof) of large diameter and thicker labels as all brands listed source their paper from the same company. As always, YMMV

PS Save yourself a lot of time and trouble while positioning the labels on the speakers and use a level. The "dots" must be perfectly flat (regardless of your floor) in order to be properly configured. If you don't use a level while positioning, you might as well not go to the trouble as you won't be able to hear enough difference to justify the effort. Just my 2 cents...Have fun.2.gif

Regarding: "I took the grilles off and found 4 - 3/4" diameter round, gold colored, plastic or metal discs stuck to the wood front baffle of the speaker. They were placed, one each, at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 all around the bass drivers. The seller told me that these made a noticeable difference in the performance of the speakers due to the change in resonant frequency or something like that. It increased bass definition."

You can probably get those at any office supply store. Avery Labels makes them. I put a few on my ***. You wouldn't believe how much more bass definition my farts had! 7.gif

MobileHome,

The only imagination at work here is the placebo effect your little mods have on sound. 1.gif

Let me repeat the Dole/Chiquita stickers are Class AAA rated by Stereophile.Now can you dig that?

And...

"The seller told me that these made a noticeable difference in the performance of the speakers due to the change in resonant frequency or something like that. It increased bass definition."

Flash news THE SELLER IS FULL OF it as full as a public toilet.

Sticking diamonds,quartz,gold,magnesium,Dole or Chiquita emblems on the front baffle does not improve bass.Increased bass definition...LOL Too much someone was smoking weed while listening to Hendrix and a disco ball has too much flash.

To improve bass you would have to improve the acceleration of the woofer cone or/and make the cabinet of the Stratus Gold as rigid as a central bank vault.BS stickers do NOTHING,its a placebo effect and nothing more.

I know the Stratus Gold quite well and a Dole sticker is there because the salesman was good and suckered the buyer.

The same with the magic cones under the CD player/transport.Another way to get money from the sheep.

Spend on better speakers,better amp and a better DAC.Dont waste a penny on magic stickers,stones and flour bags.

You know I too have a MAGICAL tweak,place an apple on the toroid of an ATI 2505 and it becomes as powerful as the Krell FPB600 or Celeste Moon W5. LOL

Highlander,

Did you try the world famous Dole/Chiquita sticker mod? Very notable and respected audiophiles who own CornBreadWallz applied the stickers on in a star pattern around the edges of the woofer and report TIGHTER BASS,MORE MIDBAND MIDRANGE and above all upper range now resides around 2.4MHz!!!

With the Dole/Chiquita mod the venerable CornyWall now has bass prowess of a Krell MRS!Imagine all this thanks to a few stickers.

If you want I sell the Dole stickers for a modest $50 per dozen!Also you may want to talk with Mobile,he was so happy he purchased eight boxes.Imagine the sound now,WOW.

"The Earz and Highlander, TOGETHER AGAIN"

Doesnt that make for a frightening album title in a used bin at the local Goodwill?

All this preoccupation with Krell amps. Mostly I see you guys discussing computer games and Fantasy Football via your new 4GB machines.

I am trying to imagine this sort of mind now, the mere logistics a horrifying vision of sweaty palms, twitching index fingers, and knurled hands from gripping the joy stick with earnest resolve.

Canadian, video games, fantasy football, computer games, more fantasy football, and 30k worth of KRELL amps. Makes sense to me.

I wonder how hard it would be to post as three or four different people?

kh

MobileHome,

Yes I wonder too,Mobile and DeanG must be one CornBreadWaller posting as two people.This explains why when Mobile posts shortly after "DeanG" posts.

Do not worry my multi GIGAHERTZ machine is for Bettlefield 1942 mostly,this is why I need all the power.

As for Highlander his big PC is for listening to MP3's and posting here.

Mobile if you think I am Highlander,just look at the pics of his PC and my PC,you will quicky see I cant take a good pic and his pics are clear and of much better quality.

If you still think I am Highlander then...itdoes not bother me at all.You can think I am Goofy and Scooby Doo too.

1.gif

Highlander anything to add to this?