Afraid to go to Ebay, any other places to buy Klipsch?

Manuel Delaflor

I want to upscale my Heresy's (note how I didn't say upgrade, as I cant think on something that sounds better 2.gif) to Cornwalls or Fortes.

Now, I have seen them on Ebay, but I have read also lots of bad histories about buying there. Maybe all I need is certain tips to know if the seller is for real or fake, or maybe I should go to another place to buy them?

All inputs appreciated.

Don't let these stories scare you. Check out the seller's feedback and carefully read his/her's instructions on payment and shipping. E-mail the seller with any questions you may have before placing a bid. Doing a little homework beforehand can save alot of time and headaches afterwards. There are always some bad apples in the bushel...you just have to sort through 'em. I find that the majority of sellers on eBay are pretty honest and trustworthy, but there are always exceptions. Just use some common sense, and enjoy the experience!

Somebody around here may have some to sell.If not don't fear ebay,just no m.o.,cashier ck,wire etc.(my policy only)I pay with card only to a very good pos feedback seller,preferably a several year member/biz and ask ?'s.

Yes, ALWAYS ask questions, even if you don't have any to ask! You want to know how responsive the seller is. Do your homework, know about the variations of Cornwalls and Fortes. If you need to see more pictures, ASK for more. Clarify condition. Be precise. If you can, wait until some show up close to where you live, so you can possibly go see them, and pick them up if you win. Otherwise, GET A SHIPPING QUOTE BEFORE BIDDING. Pay close attention to the seller's feedback. Good feedback is a seller's greatest asset, whether he realizes it or not. Ask folks here to check them out. PM or e-mail us if you don't want to post your questions. Post a "wanted to buy" thread. Or is that what this is?

fini

AUDIOGON

I got my Cornwalls off Audiogon and it was a great deal. So far, I have only had GREAT results both selling and buying from Audiogon. I have bought amps and speakers and sold amps as well. While some communications have been stressed, the actual sales have been first rate. Like anything, there will be bad points, but on the whole, I think Audiogon is a great place, and MUCH prefer it to ebay as the equipment is nicer and the owners often more knowledgable.

EBay has the potential for better deals, however.

kh

Once again fini is the source of calm ,reason, good humor and sense. OK this post wasn't very funny but it had the other stuff going for it!

I think that you can get a pretty good sense for what kind of person you are dealing with by looking at what he or she has bought and sold, and by his feedback. I have over 70 ebay transactions and have yet to be seriously burned. Actually my only issue was a buyer who claimed damage that was impossible - he was most certainly looking to get a price reduction by threatening bad feedback. Other than that i have been most pleased - and I have bought some pretty high priced items on ebay - a BMW, a Serotta bike, lots of camera equipment and stereo stuff including two pairs of cornwalls.

Again be carefull and if it feels wierd it is! Also take fini up on his offer - I know I would be happy to check speakers out for forum members and I am pretty sure others would as well.

josh

I've bought one pair of Heresys and two pair of Cornwalls through EBAY, and all of those transactions have been great; of course, each time I had to get over the I-can't-believe-I-sent-that-much-money-to-a-total-stranger feeling.

Best of luck in your search.

forrest

Just want to echo about some of the dealings on the bay. Do not be afraid to deal on the Bay.

I bought LasCalas and Heresys on EBay, and 2 Scott amps. The LaScalas I had to drive to Virginia to pick up. Worth every mile. Paid the guy in person with a cashier's check. That was the easy exception (inspecting product and paying in person).

But the other transactions were fine. I always look at the number of transactions the seller has, and the feedback is so important. I'll look at the items sold, comments on packing, and the pricing of the items sold. If people are spending big bucks on seller's items and giving good feedback, that's a really good thing.

Here's where I do something different though. I overnight a POSTAL money order in the full amount to the seller. I do not use Pay Pal or any other payment method. I always get a written statement from the seller in email that acknowledges that I am approved to send a postal money order in exchange for the merchandise with EBay item ID number..

In order to do this, they must provide their full name and address for me to fill out the MO. Then, I send it directly to their home. This makes it hard for them to not send the item.

I have never had a problem with a seller accepting these terms.

Besides, violating such an agreed upon transcation would be mail fraud.

I just think if you are careful, EBay is an excellent resource for Klipsch speakers.

Good Luck.

Hello:

I echo Mark's statements.

Be sure you have a physical address, check to see if it's one of the what used to be called Mail Boxes Etc., if possible get a telephone number - state you are changing Servers and you still wish to keep in contact, check feedback, double check the name and address through a reverse lookup, send only USPS Money Orders.

If you feel you have been ripped, contact your local Agency, the Postal Inspectors and Safe Harbor at eBay.

I just bought a great pair of Cornwalls from an outstanding Gentleman near Baltimore. Granted a good friend saw them and checked them out, but that was an 18 3/4 hour day to pick them up, hear a great system, have Maryland crabcakes and return home.

It all can be worth it.

Win dodger

At the risk of piling on, don't let the scare stories about Ebay throw you. I've bought and sold a number of times on Ebay, and have had overwhelimngly favorable experiences. Only once have I received something that wasn't as described. In that case, I'm fairly sure that the seller didn't know what he was selling well enough to detect the problem.

As an occasional seller, I do try to make sure that I provide as much info as possible to the prospective buyer, and make the buyer feel good about the puchase after the sale. I find that many sellers are like me in this regard.

In any case, follow the advise outlined about, ask lots of questions, read the feedback, get shipping quotes, ask the seller how he/she intends to package the merchandise for shipping, etc. If you're lucky enought to find a seller close to you for the speakers you're looking for, ask the seller if he will allow you to pick the item up locally.

But by all means, once you've qualified the seller by asking good questions, don't hesitate to proceed. This process, by the way, is the way to go on Ebay, Audiogon, Audio Asylum, etc.

mark10111 I'm surprised a seller let you pay with a cashiers check. Those are becoming the worst scam as far as bad payment goes. They're just so easily forged on even a run of the mill computer/printer.

Ebay is great unless you're a total nitwit. Don't just fork your money over to anyone and never use wire transfers.