What other hobbies R U into?

BigBusa

----------------

On 10/30/2003 6:28:11 AM lemonman wrote:

Skonopa I see you have Crusader No Remorse/No Regret in your shelf, No Remorse is a great game, ahead of its time and also one of my top favorites. I see you also have some other classics such as Outpost and Syndicate Wars.

----------------

I still play those to this day. I got an old Pentium 233MMX computer with Win3.1 and DOS 6.22 still setup primarly so I can play Crusader. Trying to get those games to run under the current versions of Windows is friggan damn near impossible! I get so much satisfaction just wandering around in those games and blowing $#!+ up! I'd love to see somebody come out with a "modern" version. Damn tempted to try myself - but holy cow, the time commitment for that "little" project 6.gif.

----------------

The last few years I feel creativity in games has been shelved in favor of big beautiful graphics and sound. Too many games are Quake/Half-life clones and to find an original and really immersive game nowadays is rare
15.gif

----------------

Yeah, but there are still the occasional game that I find really stands out. For example the new Tron 2.0 is quite the piece of work. Granted, it is at its heart an FPS, but wow - some really cool things in there.

But, yeah, it seems like everything is either an FPS or an RTS with the occasional RPG thrown in for good measure. The other trend that I am not particulary excited about is it seems like everybody is going to subscription-based MMORPG type games. For example, friggan Final Fantasy 11 is going to be a damn MMORPG! Yeah, its cool to log on and play with outher humans, but the last thing I need is yet another monthly bill, plus I most likely would not play it enough to justify the cost.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Award winning is generally on two levels - composition and darkroom techniques."

while I agree with you that composition plays a large part in a photographer's skill...still with limited functionality on the camera part, how do you obtain a well composed photograph (i.e. exposure control, depth of field, fill-flash, etc.)...badly composed photograph sometimes cannot be saved even in the darkroom...

"That same point applies to your Nikon vs. Canon bit. While you may be accurate, your arguement doesn't mean (to me) 'Don't use Canon'."

and I've never said 'Don't use Canon' (own a few myself, though I use Nikon exclusively)...the biggest thing for me about Nikon was compatibility of lens and accessories accross a wide-range of Nikon SLR bodies...an advantage that Canon so lacked...

"have you had a chance to see the newer digital processor photos? I haven't (I believe it is call X3 or something similar), but the technology is intriguing. The processor actually works on the same processing of individual color bands as emulsion photography with results (so they say) that approach the detail of 35 mm work."

no I have not seen it...question is how much does it cost (i.e. will it be affordable for the mass when it hits the market in its final)...

35mm films have come a long way...

All I can say to the Canon bashers is that I know this is not the case for all Nikon products but in two direct comparisons Canon is as good as or better than Nikon regardless of what you would like to believe. A Canon G3's direct competition is the Nikon Coolpix 4500. G3 is better and has never been questioned to be otherwise. In the case of the Canon 10D and Nikon D100 not one review has said the Nikon was better. They either say one is better for this while the other is better for that or they just say the Canon had the sharper image with less noise. Weather you like it or not Nikon does not win every comparison. I buy products for their performance not their name and if one is better than the other that's the way I'm going. The simple fact is that for the cash I wanted to spend the Canon is the better camera. You could argue that Nikon has better lenses....maybe but I'm never going to buy any of theses lenses that cost a couple of grand so when your talking cheap lenses there is no argument because IMO cheap Canon and cheap Nikon lenses offer no advantage over the other.

You know when I said " Uuuuuugh Cannon" I never meant to start a Nikon VS Cannon war. I am heavely Nikon biased but I do think Cannon makes some great camera's. What I meant when I said " The photographer makes the difference not the camera" Is that I have never seen a camera leap off a table and take a photo. Lets not get caught up in Nikon this and Cannon that. This thread was started to find out what other hobbies you are in to, not to argue as to what is the superior camera. With that said, Have a wonderful day and enjoy your hobbies whatever they are.

Paul

The newer processing for digital is called Fureon 3 color processing (or something like that) that takes into consideration three colors per pixel. Current digital generally is one color per pixel, with increasing numbers of pixels for that 'realistic' edges available with good 35 mm that makes enlarging a bit more comfortable and is generally the one thing that makes us percieve greater depth in good 35 mm work.

The affordable camera is made by Sigma (affordable in comparison with other similar 'Prosumer' hobbiest cameras). The price for this and the 6mp cmaeras is about $1,500. While the technology seems intriguing, reviews haven't yet said to buy instead of 6mp and I was wondering if anyone has had a chance do side by side comps.

AS to Cannon/nikon - wasn't my intent to start the banter, just an opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Big Busa,

My pinball game is NO FEAR, it's great. but right now i'm at universal studo'swith my fam enjoying turkey ay in the sun...vacations are another hobby I highly reccomend.

Happy Tankgsgiving to all

Smilin and family16.gif

My main hobby is cars, and I autocross and run open track (hpde) events on road courses.

IMG_8204.jpg

This is my 380 rwhp '01 Trans Am sporting 315/35/17's on 17x11 wheels at all four corners. It also has a cam, full exhaust, suspension mods plus some bolt-ons. 11.gif

Here it is on a road course with 275/70/17's all around.

ta_z06.jpg

I gave my old Pentax Spotmatic to my son (Invidiosulus), and he now takes far better pictures than I do. I replaced it with a Nikon FM2 (I like the manual gear).

Beretta and Walther, thanks. Colts are nice too.

Guitars: Taylor, Martin, Gibson

Marvel