My wife wants me to get rid of my Heresy II's

NSXBill

She says old stereos are behind the times. I guess I'll get a cheap surround sound for the TV. I'm 43 and wanted Klipsh's since I was 11. I got the II's in 1989, with Yamaha and Carver stuff. The CD finally quit and I want to get a cheap DVD to appease her. Do people in the mainstream still even use two speaker systems? What to do?

Bill

Two channel is rockin'. I have Heresy IIs as well. Got them in the summer. They replaced (still have them) my JBL 4311 studio monitors I was using. Lots of 2 channel folks here. The Heresys aren't even that big, so you need to resist and keep them (or sell them to m cheap 2.gif !)

Honestly, there are many here who are into both. I'm not into HT stuff, but stereo is still very big, and according to some, on the increase (or making a comeback).

Marvel

It will be hard to find new speakers that can hold a candle to those old Heresys.....plus you can build a home theater around those...use them for mains......i use LaScalas for stereo,home theater,,,,,everyone who hears movies on my LaScalas say ,,,wow.....so keep them....you can always buy better front main speakers and use Heresys for rear channel,,,,,alot of theaters have used Heresys for thier sound in the past.....but if you do decide to sell them, offer them here first please,,,,rick

Heresy make great HT setups. I am biased of course, but my HT set up is two pair of heresy front and side, modified heresy center, Infinity back with a solid SVS 20-39Pci for sub (you will need a sub with the Heresy IMHO). It is a very pleasing setup (and I am very hard to please) and I have heard very few other setups that would 'blow it away'. I also have not found any newer speakers that have a better price/performance ratio than your 'old' Heresy.

All is IMHO. After 28 years of marriage bliss, I understand that some decisions are not solely based on your preference, so best of luck which ever way you go.

Hook the DVD to the reciever with the Heresys and watch some movies,,,,then go listen to a cheap surround system and then ask wife which sounds better...my bet is the Heresys by themselves will sound better than 90% of what you can go buy today.....i have a 24 year old HK430 reciever with a whole 24 watts hooked to 24 year old LaScalas and i bet they will blow away anything your wife can find9.gif

Famous nature photographer Ansel Adams was once asked why he spent decades working in only black & white. He said he will move to color when he masters the b&w medium. Like Adams, I am ready to move to multi-channel when I master the two-channel movie and music medium. Some other thoughts:

1) it is a dangerous precedent to let her say anything about your hobbies

2) big ole horns are great for the movie theater sound at home

3) it is not possible to make those loudspeakers today for what they sold for then

4) they maintain their resale value, making them a good investment

5) ya cant buy new what big ole horns can do used

6) big ole horns are the foundation for a superb home movie and music reproduction system

7) they deserve an increase investment in better front-end electronics

8) once you have a great two-channel HT, you are going to need MORE big ole horns to make a great 5.1 channel system

9) little miss sensitive ears is probably complaining about the hard distortion of the Craver and Yamaha equipment time for a change

10) explore vintage tube and solid-state integrated amplifiers, like harmon/kardon receivers and frequent poster NOSvalues refurbished offerings

2.gif

She's right, send those pieces of crap to me for proper disposal.

Honestly, do not go with a cheap home theater system, you'll be very dissapointed. I've gone to friend's houses for movies, and those plastic box pieces of crap are about enough to make your ears bleed. Tinny, raspy, and zero bass. The "subwoofer" might hit 100 hz if your lucky. Heresey's are so much better looking too.

I'd pick up a pair of used Chorus, Fortes or similar for the front, and keep your Heresey's for the rears. Hey I just happen to have a pair of KG4s for sale. :) I've been very underwhelmed the quality of new mid-fi equipment, I can't imagine how bad the Beast Buy house brand would be.

----------------

On 12/9/2003 8:09:38 AM NSXBill wrote:

She says old stereos are behind the times. I guess I'll get a cheap surround sound for the TV. I'm 43 and wanted Klipsh's since I was 11. I got the II's in 1989, with Yamaha and Carver stuff. The CD finally quit and I want to get a cheap DVD to appease her. Do people in the mainstream still even use two speaker systems? What to do?

Bill

----------------

----------------

On 12/9/2003 9:16:09 AM ricktate wrote:

Hook the DVD to the reciever with the Heresys and watch some movies,,,,then go listen to a cheap surround system and then ask wife which sounds better...my bet is the Heresys by themselves will sound better than 90% of what you can go buy today.....i have a 24 year old HK430 reciever with a whole 24 watts hooked to 24 year old LaScalas and i bet they will blow away anything your wife can find
9.gif

----------------

My bet is she will say i don't hear a difference.

I would also put money on the table she would prefer small cubes. JMO

I'll trade you a beautiful pair of mint KG-1's in Walnut Oil plus cash for the Heresy II's they are small enough to fit on a bookshelf or be mounted to a wall. They are a sealed design so you will have no port issues. Why give up the Klipsch sound, just go smaller.

Hey guys, great replys. I didn't mean to come across as such a pus*y before about my wife. Really, she "lets" me keep my 2nd car (NSX, 1st car BMW), ski boat, etc, so no complaints. Actually, last night she didn't really say I should get rid of them, but rather implied that stereo was outdated, and that I am behind the times.

There's no doubt she could not tell the difference in sound, nor does she care. But, it doesn't matter what she thinks about my stereo. Its more about interior decorating to her. The H II's and the stereo have already been relegated to the living room instead of the family (tv) room. The equipment had to be in a solid-front cabinet instead of the rack, and the speakers were too big and "old fasioned" for that room. So now, music is played in the living room and tv is watched in the other room.

Therein lies the problem. Where does the CD player for music (now going to be a DVD player)go? For CD's it should be with the Yamaha and Klipsch's. For DVD, it should be under the Sony 35-inch.

After hearing you guys, the Klipsch's stay! Can I wire the cheap DVD to both systems?

Also, what are the H II's worth? I saw $150-200 on ebay. I paid $950 in '89. Are they available new? How much?

Thanks,

Bill

NSXBill

Do you like your speakers? Stand up for your rights and tell her no. It's as simple as that.

Update: Did not read your last post before making this post. What is it about the decore of the speakers? Can you perhaps refinish them to help them blend in with your decore rather than sell or trade them?

----------------

On 12/9/2003 11:27:45 AM m00n wrote:

NSXBill

Update: Did not read your last post before making this post. What is it about the decore of the speakers? Can you perhaps refinish them to help them blend in with your decore rather than sell or trade them?

----------------

Her problem with them was simply their size (she'd really hate horns :)), as well as them looking like "old-fashioned speakers from college days."

Bill,

Buy her a DVD and you buy a turntable and some vinyl LPs. She'll get a big kick out of it, (think you're nuts) and you'll be amazed how good the Heresy IIs will sound.

Heresy IIs in great condition = $375 to $575 but nothing you spend that amount of money on will enhance or provide the quality utility of the Heresy's. Find a way to incorporate them into your HT if at all possible.

Would you trade in you NSX for a Civic LX? I think not. That's pretty much what you're doing with your speakers. How she can think little black, plastic cubes can look better than Heresey's is beyond me. Even with a simple two-channel Heresey set up, you're movie experience will be much better than with the tiny black boxes.

You can probably hook both your DVD player and CD player to your reciever as long as you have enough inputs. That or you could get a nice multi-format player (Marantz looks like they have some nice, affordable models).

I just convinced my wife to let me move all my stereo stuff in to our TV room. She was pleasantly surprised. The size of the speakers (Fortes) actually forced us to get rid of a lot of the clutter that inhabited the room. It looks much better now. But she still teases me about my turntable. :) Little does she know, vinyl is on the comeback!

If two channell and large speakers are passe then I'm a dinosuar. Those are Heresys in the racks hooked up to an EL-84 PP amp and SW-15 for two channel and the fronts in HT. Then there are those little bitty Klipschorns to consider. Maybe if I get them wet they'll shrink into a pair of Blose? My wife indulges me.11.gif

room14.jpg

Or at least she puts up with me.2.gif

Rick

post-12829-13819250628728_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I do belive you just ZAPPED me with that DINO of a photo, I am really starting to feel I need to pick me up some khorns to add in with my all corwall system HEH HEH HEH, yours is JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Zap me agian

Smilin3.gif