Are EQ's good ideas?

stream

There are two opposing viewpoints (and probably some in between too)!OH YEAH! One, leave the signal alone, no tone controls, no loudness circuit and no control on the balance. Two, anything goes! Processors, high pass filters, low pass filters, even the dreaded under 200 dollar equalizer.

I myself believe in keeping the signal path as simple as posssible. I've never been in a position, except in a car, where I would ever have used one in my home. That I can remember anyway, the sixties were that good.3.gif

I'd try the new cd player first and room placement with the speakers. Maybe even some type of room treatment, rugs, tapestry, better beer.

This is just my opinion, I'm just reccomending waiting b/4 spending money on an equalizer.

remember to have fun , randy

every analog equalizer that i have ever heard added noise and/or hiss to the signal....(consumer products as well as high end professional units)

equalizers that operate in the digital domain may be very good if implemented properly.... there are still issues in the analog to digital conversions in the equalizer circuitry....

you will not find that quality in the $200 or under range

I feel I should be wearing a veil of shame as I write this, but none-the-less...15.gif

Some of you may recall me having a "squeal" coming from one of my KG4's not too long ago. The reason I found this forum, in fact. You may recall that I didn't say too much after my initial, thankfully inexpensive, replacement of the tweeter dome. It was better, but still there. Cleaned out some crud from the slot in the magnet, better again, but still there on some recordings. Switched tweets from speak to speak, sound didn't move. Turned out my 15 year old, < 200$ EQ had deleloped a bzz at certain frequencies. I dealt with it for a week or two, not listening much at the time due to work, then it started to show up in the other speak too. So I took out the EQ from the loop, presto, no more noise. BUT... I missed my "smiley curve". After listening to the system for several weeks without it, my system is starting to sound better, or I am getting used to non-overextended levels at certain frequencies. Personally, I think I am starting to hear what I was supposed to hear in the first place, and though my KG4's could use a little boost here or there, I like the sound. An EQ isn't the answer to a problem until you have your basic math right to begin with. Speakers, speaker location, room acoustics, electronics, source material. In that order, IMHO. Get that to the OPTIMUM, then worry about trying to smooth out a 3bd peak at 2800 hz or a 4db dip at 150 hz with an EQ. FWIW.

Hello:

In the price range mentioned used may be possible.

For the question there is no right or wrong answer. As Champagne mentions, try different placements, look at the furniture, carpet, wall treatments. Also room size.

There are purists that have no tonal controls and their systems sound ill. There are those with heavy emphasis on bass or treble - it may go to your hearing curve.

More info needed as to what you are trying to correct or change before a flat statement answer is given.

dodger

Well, I like the treble to be emphasized a little - I love hearing cymbals and high-hats more prominently than most folks are used to. But, I agree with Champagne taste beer budget in that for all these years, I've had cheaper audio systems that gave me control over bass and treble, so I've gotten used to an "untrue" sound with the added treble. I think I will get more used to the "true" sound of the music as time passes.

-Jesse

Agree on many counts:

1. buy a better CD player

2. move speakers

3. Adjust room reflections or lack thereof

4. buy a turntable

5. Dean and LEOK's crossover mods for RF-7

Sorry...

EQ is a band aid

I have only used them for tweaking bar sound for rock bands.

So much noise in a bar setup the EQ distortion just fits right in.

The better your system, and the more experience you acquire, the more you become sensitive to that artificial heightened top end. REAL tranparency with warmth and harmonic richness riding along as well will be the light at the end of the tunnel and oh so hard to find. It is abused by most gear. On top of that, most equate it positively. Later, you will do all you can to find natural highs with extension without siblance.

kh

When Eq is properly used it is a good tool. Unfortunately, ordianry folks rarely know how to use it, much less have the RTA equipment needed to tune for a flat response.

My receiver does automatic EQ in the digital domain over nine bands of EQ. I use it to align the other 5 speakers to match the room response of my RF-7s which get no EQ. The automated analysis boosts some frequencis too much; I then have to go into the setup and turn down the over boosted frequencies. I wonder how many users of automated equalization realize the dangers of over boosting any frequency, especially the treble frequencies. The final sound is quite good IMO.

Bill

EQ is used in a lot of recordings BUT....

The good recodings used very high end eg not cheap eg that you see in home sytems and rock band racks.

I run a recoding studio and on most recodings we try not to use any eq. First get the right mike and pre amp( we use pre amps for diffrent sounfd flavors from tube to soildstate) and sound first.

when eg is used (except for a distorted effct) High quilty eg is used that runs in the thousand for a 3 band paramitric eg by the likes of NEVE,Great river,quad eight api.

The after recoding tracks are sent to a mastering house

with eg that runs in the tens of thosands and it is only used to correct bad recodings. best sound I ever heard was a 2 channel stereo direct to disc with out eq.