Best Norah Jones CD?

Tom Mobley

Officially, Nora Jones only has one studio CD out...Nora Jones/Nora Jones...the one that swept the Grammy's a couple of years ago. Her much anticipated second offering is due out soon. She sings with an easy, sultry, but clean smooth voice, and she is normally the pianist on her material. There are a few other Nora Jones offerings, though...mostly live recordings of her with her band that came out on the scene after her grammy-winning premiere recording. She is featured at the piano in one movie cameo which I saw in the last year or so, but I can't remember which one it is...suffice it to say she was playing at a large party in the film. The reason I recognized her in the film is because I first recognized it was her singing in the backround...easily recognizable voice.

flh_cover2.jpg

Feels like Home is her next release, see News section at norahjones.com. Currently she also has a nice performance available on her DVD titled Live in New Orleans, which is a live version of the material on her first release, the band is interesting to watch so the DVD seems to get more play time here than her CD.

I am fairly new the the Norah Jones fan club, but was hooked when I downloaded (bad me!) a few songs and then went out and bought her disc (good me!), Norah Jones - Come Away with Me. If you can, find the deluxe Edition (if you aren't buying the SACD) because for only a few dollars more it comes with a New Orleans Live DVD in DD.3.gif

Norah Jones

Gonna Be Great, 'cause She Got Eight

Review by A. Colin Flood

CD Stock Number: Blue Note Records B00005YW4H

www.norahjones.com

Young newcomer ingénue, Norah Jones, scored an incredible eight Grammy awards early this year with her debut pop-jazz album, "Come Away With Me." The line-crossing disc blends Jones' own songs with classic tunes from Hank Williams, J.D. Loudermilk and Hoagy Charmichael for a surprisingly professional presentation full of the promise and hope of youth, but with the control and style of experience.

Just don't even think about it; get the disc and listen to it. Wonderfully recorded, very life-like. It was the very first CD I listened to with my latest BEZ 6SN7 SRPP linestage preamp hooked up to my SS McIntosh MC250...awesome! Norah's voice is so articulate and oh, so captivating; the instruments are pefectly placed, and the soundstage and imaging are incredible! With my eyes closed, it seemed as if she was in my music room performing for me! It's beautiful, soulful music that isn't noisy or flashy...it just sounds so acoustically real. I never heard a single song of hers before buying her CD; I just took a chance, and it definately appealed to my aural senses.

Plus she's so hot! Whadda babe!13.gif

Sorry folks to spoil the party, but I find the sound of her CD disappointing. I find it sounds rather bright, but perhaps that's due to the copy control used on the CD? I also bought another Blue Note CD on the same day (Cassandra Wilson's 'Belly of the Sun') and that has far more body and sounds more lifelike.

Wolfram

I too was disappointed in the Norah Jones recording. I listened to it last night right after listening to a Nickel Creek CD. With the Nickel Creek, I could close my eyes and easily locate the instruments and voices on stage. On the Norah Jones, I could only tell they were in front of me. Her voice is wonderful and I enjoyed listening. I just couldn't image them on stage.

I have the SACD versioooon and I think the vocals aare good. The instruments are weak though. I made a MP3 disc from my stored songs and played them in the Phillips 963SA. The Ella Fitzgrald songs I down loaded from Kelly's post on the Forum were incredible.

How could a downloaded mp3 played through my 2 channel system sound so good? I means it was incredible, I had it playing at about 90 db while my friend and I played pool. The speakers are in the room adjoining the pool room but facing away. It sounded like a live band playing. By far the best listening session I have had yet. An Aerosmith song came on and the Bass was hitting so low on the CW's the walls were vibrating. It sounded like my subwoofer on the HT system the bass was hitting so low. You felt like the drummer was there with you.Alll that was missing was the new MC240 for some real volume.

Hey Craig, is it on the way?